General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 09-Sep-11 00:50:36
Print Post

3 network

[link to this post]

what ever you do never have anything to do with 3 mobile broadband,i cant begin to tell you how bad they are and if you are mad enough to sign a contract then you are in trouble.their call centre is in India where everyone reads from a script, here is a run down what happens when you get through, and by the way all the different numbers that they give out on 3 go straight to the same call centre even 0845 number,right here we go ,hello 3 customer service,your having trouble with your broadband, have you tried deleting the cashe or deleting cookie's if that does not work you could try walking round the garden with a pineapple on your head,what's that you say, you done that the last ten times you ran about 20 kb download speed, i tell what i will just put you on hold for while so i can speak to the tech team, now this is where he or she sits back and gets the tea and sandwiches out while you sit there like a dummy , the reason she eating her sandwiches is because they don't have a tech team, hello sir i have spoken to our tech team and they say have you tried turning the phone on? . ALL YOU CAN EAT AT 20KB DOWNLOAD WHAT A JOKE !
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Fri 09-Sep-11 05:51:52
Print Post

Re: 3 network

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I have been a user of the 3 network for several years now.

I have to say, on the whole I have been VERY happy.

I was in an 18 month contract and 6 months into my contract I cracked my phone screen. I replaced it myself with some Japanese stuff on ebay .

9 months in I damaged the screen again.

Contacted 3, explained what I'd done and they offered to buy me out of the remainder of the contract and upgraded me to the iPhone.

I have 1GB of internet which 3 allow me to use for tethering if required. Using this I always get over 1mbps download and atleast 1.3mbps upload. I find this quite acceptable for mobile broadband.

My friend uses their all you can eat data as a broadband replacement & often streams iplayer with it.

It's a shame that you have such a bad experience. Probably you are not in a 3G area and have either GPRS or EDGE signal. This would yield the slow speeds you are describing.

3 are very decent on the whole with letting you get out of contracts. Best bet is to write to them.

& I agree the customer service is not English, however if you have a 3 mobile it does not cost a penny, is open 24/7 and I've always managed to resolve issues fine with a little patience and understanding from both sides. I would rather have 24/7, free support anyday than a 9 - 5, Mon - Friday, 0845 number, UK based call centre.

Everyone's different though.

Hope you manage to get out of the contract
Standard User bosie
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Sep-11 09:58:48
Print Post

3 have the most interesting packages and with recent updates the best supplied premium modem and MiFi devices. But my experience of their customer service is the worst of any ISP - not so bad if you want to talk about contracts but appalling if you have any kind of technical or performance related problem. I once spent over 2 hours on the phone trying to leave the service being passed between Scotland? and India call centres (that phone call cost me over £8). I later received a letter asking me to call them to arrange refunds due on my accounts (they had taken money despite promising refunds for no service on several occasions). I didn't call though - just couldn't face another round of nonsense. I've left O2 and Vodafone services many times (I'm always trying things out to find the best) and the process by comparison is simple - and the refund is automatic. Three needs to move more of its services to the internet and depend less on the telephone. With O2 for instance, you can walk in to the shop, pick up an iPad SIM, stick it in and sign up right from the iPad without having to deal with customer services - and you can cancel from the iPad too so no nonsense.

bosie

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 10-Sep-11 05:11:35
Print Post

Three have been a bit of a life-saver here, in that it's the only way we can get a broadband service - and it performs quite well too, up to 6.6Mbps downstream (average closer to 5Mbps)

It did go to pot once, and I was highly suspicious of their call centre's assertion that the fault was most likely to be the modem and not contention or deteriorating service. In such calls they did "go away and check" - the capacity and throughput - so were able to confirm that contention was not to blame.

One new modem later and the speeds were not just back at the originally attainable ones (3Mbps) but more than doubled because of the newer modem design.

It sounds to me like it might be a coverage issue.

Their coverage map seems quite accurate, actually, I was told that I'd probably only get 0.3Mbps in the first place because the area is hilly and the signal might have been marginal but as it is we have near line of sight.

Like ADSL, though, whether it's any use or not is very location specific - even down to moving the modem a few inches left or right - that can make a big difference to the top speeds, like fine tuning a radio (which is basically what you're doing).

At this same location O2 wanders in and out (between two cells one 3G one seemingly not), T-Mobile only manages about 1.5Mbps, Vodafone barely gets a signal so I'd be quite impressed if I got 20kbps with them. If it won't work for you, can't you take it back? (You only have a limited time to do that)

Overall, I've been quite impressed both by the tech and the service, but I don't have a contract, it's all PAYG - I wouldn't dream of handing over control of my bank account AKA a "direct debit mandate" to anybody, not because it will go wrong, but because it so often does, and it's hard to rectify so I don't go down that road in the first place.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Sep-11 11:12:49
Print Post

Three's 3G network is the best in the UK in terms of coverage, usage limits, price and speed. I've always heard bad things about the customer support but I've never had to call them so can't comment.

If your only getting 20KB, I'm guessing you mean 20KBytes/s (160Kbps) then you're most likely connecting with 3G and not HSPA or HSPA+. This will either be due to poor signal or the mast in your area only supporting 3G. You can always send the dongle back and terminate the contract if you're still in the cooling off period (first ~14 days, I think).

If you don't want to speak to the call centre staff then go to one of the high street stores, the staff there will be helpful.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User CJT
(committed) Sat 10-Sep-11 12:36:08
Print Post

Hello Anon/OP (Number1)

I used to work for 3 (in a store) so I know the issues you are experiencing.

We used to be able to call Glasgow (where the UK call centre is based) , but then the moved the stores CS support to Mumbai/Pune (both in India)...

The is however SOME UK support, based in Scotland. 3 Executive Office.

The can be e-mailed on: Executive.Office@three.co.uk, I won't give you the number as it is an 0843 number and they are "expensive" to call.

I would give them a shout and see where it gets you.

CJT.

tongue

ON BT Total Broadband .

My Broadband Speed Test

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/986285088.png[/IMG]

Edited by CJT (Sat 10-Sep-11 12:39:20)

Standard User CJT
(committed) Sat 10-Sep-11 12:37:19
Print Post

[re: bosie] [link to this post]

Hello bosie,

if you see my reply to "Anon" it has an e-mal address for the UK Executive Office.

Maybe worth trying...

Kind Regards,

PS you can also call them on: 07782 333 500 for mobile broadband or 07782 333 333 for mobile phones from ANY UK mobile, at standard Mobile to Mobile rates!

CJT.

tongue

ON BT Total Broadband .

My Broadband Speed Test

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/986285088.png[/IMG]

Edited by CJT (Sat 10-Sep-11 12:40:51)

Print Thread

Jump to