General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jsp21c
(committed) Thu 29-Sep-11 10:02:08
Print Post

Three HSDPA using Galaxy S2 as hotspot

[link to this post]

I've just recorded a speedtest and posted it to YouTube of my Samsung Galaxy S2 from Three.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfolGaqFSwY

The Galaxy S2 was acting as hotspot, recorded the screen and uploaded the clip directly to YT over 3g using the android app.

This is why I've dumped my [censored] old BT land line which could only provide 1.6 down and 0.6 MB up. BT actually phoned me last week and wouldn't believe that I can get this kind of speed from 3g.

------------------------------------------------
ASUS P7P55D-EVO, Intel Core i7 860, 8GB Corsair DDR3, Windows 7x64
Fractal Design R3 Black Case
Standard User epyon
(member) Thu 29-Sep-11 12:21:03
Print Post

Re: Three HSDPA using Galaxy S2 as hotspot

[re: jsp21c] [link to this post]

Great download i take it three hasn't upgrade to HSUPA/HSPA+ yet ? EDIT woops just seen you had that in the discrip

heres my vodafone

http://www.speedtest.net/android/72032725.png

BE*Unlimited 19004/1317Kbps
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by epyon (Thu 29-Sep-11 12:30:35)

Standard User Daniel_g
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 12:54:25
Print Post

Very nice

I have a HTC wildfire s.

Looked nice on the web site, put a few bits on it and now 25mb of memory left from the 512Mb it had, most used on the stuff onready there and neverending rubbish HTC or 3 put on and can't remove.

So nice looking phone but useless and stuck with it until all change in may 2013!.

I get this from the local mast in the pub car park about 250 straight line if that.

Picked 3 as they blow their own trumpet and is good but I would argue that.
Does work in most places but never get the speeds others do. Must be the phone then.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1507308314.png

Ok it does do upto 3Mb before but 1. something is normal so to be fair a bit slow today but never what you have.
Done tests stood next to the mast and then 3Mb on a good day.

BT infinity at 30Mb and 1.7 down (capped at 2Mb, cheap £18 month) is more like it but have used the phone as a hot spot like you just done when phone line died (cable stolen from around the corner), get a job instead of stealing stuff, but thats another story. Was out for 4 days. But don't me started on BT customer care!.

Edited by Daniel_g (Thu 29-Sep-11 12:56:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(member) Thu 29-Sep-11 14:37:32
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Tried getting a memory card?

16GB are pretty cheap theses days.

BE*Unlimited 19004/1317Kbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 29-Sep-11 14:51:55
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

Hello

Nice idea but it came with one, not that android or programmer use it!. well some to be fair.

It came with one a 2Gb one but most things downloaded to it and installed go to the rubbish (as I now know, guessed 512Mb was for my use but no) internal memory.

Yes you can do the thing in the settings to clean up and move data over to the card but most would not and so filling up the 100 or so Mb left.

Spent hours and found out how to do this thing my ticking a few boxes in on of the settings pages to do with developers and then plug into the computer on the USB lead.
Next was some line typed at the old skool black box dos comand promt, so poor instructions and wrote by someone that knew how to do, like most unhelpful confusing instructions, after pratting around trying different ways to type something that started C:// something like that got itt going and now can move everything over so a good 450Mb of the 2Gb used but does try to install to phones running out memory first and so installations fail.

Got what I want on it and so manage. Photos and videos always went to the card, just programs was the problem but good enough now and will get a better nice large memory and double processor, 3d thing next time.

Why invent a operating system that ignores the nice big card and goes to the almost full (so programs take forever to load I noticed as time goes on) memory. Daft google android.

Done the bodge and now does what it should sort off if I can get the app to install to phone first, not all big downloads will now so stops me putting that on, go enough usefull stuff so ok and new on in less than 2 years. Bigger and better and faster mobile speeds I hope. upload never gets over 300kbs. Can see you 2 do nicely., better phone I guess.

From Daniel.
No have not logged in!.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Thu 29-Sep-11 16:53:56
Print Post

Interesting, many people in my neck of the woods are also dumping [censored] copper based lines for the same reason. In Rural Powys!

BT I GIVE YOU MY LOVE AND ALL YOU WANT IS MY MONEY.
Standard User lockyatlrg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Nov-11 23:39:16
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

When I use my s2 and a hotspot I get 12mbs but the mast isn't that far away.

if It wasn't for me having FTTC I would of dropped copper line ages ago.

BT Infinity
ROUTER:-Netgear WNDR37AV
JDSU Stats
Sync 39999D 9995U
Attenuation: 9.6 SNR: 11.4
Line Length 300meters
Standard User Saltank
(member) Sun 04-Dec-11 20:38:22
Print Post

[re: lockyatlrg] [link to this post]

I've been without my 50Mbit cable after moving for three weeks now, and went through tethering on my iPhone 4 and a Motorola Defy on O2 and Orange networks, but have been using the Galaxy Nexus on Three for the past week and it's been great!
3Mbit/1Mbit is what I get with decent latency of 100ms.

Only downside is that I'm always cautious of potential download limits, even if I'm on the One Plan with all-you-can-eat data.

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Dec-11 23:01:22
Print Post

[re: Saltank] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Saltank:
Only downside is that I'm always cautious of potential download limits, even if I'm on the One Plan with all-you-can-eat data.

Don't worry about it! I used 31GB last month while working away for 2 of the weeks!

Paul
Standard User Saltank
(member) Mon 05-Dec-11 15:57:07
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

Oh that's a relief to hear. I have a couple of days left until my connection is up and running, might as well make the best of it! smile

Jump to