General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User johnnyfinlandia
(newbie) Wed 26-Oct-11 08:39:21
Print Post

Huawei E353 Three Modem - Suitable Router (for WiFi) Needed

[link to this post]

Hi

Just bought a nice shiny new E353 Three (unlocked) modem and am using in Finland (Saunalahti) quite well.

I have used various dongles before but older slower versions.

My current WiFi Routers do not handle (ie. not compatible) this higher speed 3g modem so have to use singularly.

Does anyone know any routers which actually work with this E353 dongle ?

I am getting 5+ mbps/2+ mbps so speed is great just need the WiFi.

Thanks,
John.
Standard User knighton
(learned) Thu 27-Oct-11 08:45:27
Print Post

Re: Huawei E353 Three Modem - Suitable Router (for WiFi) Nee

[re: johnnyfinlandia] [link to this post]

Is this the 'premium' dongle from 3? If so, I use a TP-Link 3G ready router. Available in 150Mbps and 300Mbps flavours. Cheap, easy to set up and reliable

Phil
Standard User sean2003
(experienced) Thu 03-Nov-11 15:13:43
Print Post

[re: knighton] [link to this post]

Works fine on a Draytek 2850.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 03-Nov-11 16:51:37
Print Post

Hello John,
I also bought this dongle from England to use with Saunalahti. However, I have only managed to get speeds up to 3Mbps, though theoretically I ought to receive up to 10. Have you updated your E353 or is it just working faster over where you live? I live in Turku.

I use it with Buffalo WZR-HP-300NH, works fine and the router itself has good features and a great signal strength.

Regards,
Tuukka
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 22:32:28
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Well I have my old TP-Link 3220 and it worked ... laugh
For a while.
Then it didn't frown

I updated the Firmware and maybe that messed things up.

E353 alone (plugged directly) I am getting 7 mps / 1.5 mbps from a Saunalahti 15mpbs package.
(normally get between 5-7 mps / 2 mbps in Espoo where I live).

I read somewhere that the dongle does work with the 3220 but it takes time to sync with the dongle but mine takes a day or rather it doesn't.

I had it working for a couple of days and it was getting 3-5 mpbs (here in Vuokatti) so maybe better weather tonight. I have been getting 1-7 depending on location.

I also noticed that the PUK code is needed (along tithe a new PIN) when I come back from the 3G Router to USB only which is weird - maybe the 3g dongle's fault don't know. Saunalahti give me the PUK OK and have managed to get online every time but it is just annoying.

I normally leave the 3g router on all the time so not bothered if it takes a long time only that it works smile

Will give it a few more goes and then get one mentioned here.

I also found out that the A-Link (b) or (c) 3g router version will work so maybe most newer 3g routers will work if the Auto Function is on so Auto detects the Modem settings etc.

.. other thing is I am using a MacAir but wouldn't have thought an issue as I was using with an older slower 3g modem and same 3g router TP3220 earlier with no issues !

Apple MacAir i5 128GB OSX 10.7
HTC Incredible S 'RED'
Huawei E353

Edited by johnnyfinlandia (Thu 03-Nov-11 22:34:45)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Nov-11 11:41:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by johnnyfinlandia:
Well I have my old TP-Link 3220 and it worked ... laugh
For a while.
Then it didn't frown

I updated the Firmware and maybe that messed things up.

E353 alone (plugged directly) I am getting 7 mps / 1.5 mbps from a Saunalahti 15mpbs package.
(normally get between 5-7 mps / 2 mbps in Espoo where I live).

I read somewhere that the dongle does work with the 3220 but it takes time to sync with the dongle but mine takes a day or rather it doesn't.

Funny you should say that. We've got an Edimax 3G-6200n router which needed the firmware update to work with the E367 and sometimes it does exactly as you describe. The modem connects, the lights on the router come on, but it's as if the bridge between internal and external network breaks at that point and you have to reboot it a few times. It's also very picky; if you move the modem even a few feet, that bridge part breaks again even though the modem doesn't disconnect.

It's a bit flaky.

I'm replacing it with a Solwise one which actually accepts a SIM card making the modem redundant.

Main point: if you find yourself tempted by the Edimax one (there aren't exactly a wealth of choices on the market) I'd think again.
(newbie) Fri 04-Nov-11 14:01:13
Print Post

NIce to know I am not the only one and not insane !!

So
http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers.htm
which one do you have ?
It says E353 is supported but will check

I am really trying to find the cheapest option for 3g Wifi and buying a 25 squid E353 seemed the cheapest and re-using my existing 3G-Router .. but having to faff about like this seems like I may have jumped at the cheapest and worst option .. let's see.

Saunalahti would have provided a free Nokia Modem but not Wifi and then I would be tied in for 2 years hence the decision to take SIM only.

I am trying this as a cheaper option to fixed ADSL and I must say it is fairly quick when it works but no WiFi which I need as we have several Computers. Ah well.

When I get back home (Espoo) I will try again in one good location. The reception is pretty good there so maybe I can get the modem working and leave it on (which I normally do) and don't move. If not then new modem / router is on the list.

HTC Incredible S 'RED'
Huawei E353
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 04-Nov-11 16:10:28
Print Post

I've ordered one of these:
http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-antenna-lpda-0044.htm

and one of these:
http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-434t.htm

Total was about £200. The antenna is here now - it's a huge seemingly one piece die cast thing that's going up on the chimney in a couple of weeks when the local installer is free.

This removes the E367 dongle from the equation. Actually, as far as I know, the E367 is HSPA+ capable and potentially faster than the router I've gone for, but I couldn't find any HSPA+ capable routers (Solwise say they will stock them but as yet there is no demand) but the local cell, again as far as I know, is only HSPA 7.2Mbps capable anyway.

We currently see anywhere between 4Mbps and 6.6Mbps with the E367 and Edimax combination - the main purpose of the change is that the E367 thing doesn't like living outside stuck to the upper part of the window (optimum location) and is starting to go "mouldy" now, so this gives a permanently sited, fixed setup which can cope with the weather. I don't expect a massive performance boost, as we already see almost the theoretical maximum anyway.

As HSPA+ and eventually 4G are rolled out, I'd imagine the market for these things will mature.
Standard User Tomas_L
(newbie) Sat 05-Nov-11 09:09:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I've ordered one of these:
http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-antenna-lpda-0044.htm

and one of these:
http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-434t.htm

Total was about £200. The antenna is here now - it's a huge seemingly one piece die cast thing that's going up on the chimney in a couple of weeks when the local installer is free.

This removes the E367 dongle from the equation. Actually, as far as I know, the E367 is HSPA+ capable and potentially faster than the router I've gone for, but I couldn't find any HSPA+ capable routers (Solwise say they will stock them but as yet there is no demand) but the local cell, again as far as I know, is only HSPA 7.2Mbps capable anyway.

We currently see anywhere between 4Mbps and 6.6Mbps with the E367 and Edimax combination - the main purpose of the change is that the E367 thing doesn't like living outside stuck to the upper part of the window (optimum location) and is starting to go "mouldy" now, so this gives a permanently sited, fixed setup which can cope with the weather. I don't expect a massive performance boost, as we already see almost the theoretical maximum anyway.

As HSPA+ and eventually 4G are rolled out, I'd imagine the market for these things will mature.

hi bro. is it that means there no need to get the HSPA+ dongle like e372 due to the local network speeds limited?
(newbie) Sat 05-Nov-11 20:51:59
Print Post

[re: Tomas_L] [link to this post]

.. got back home (Espoo) and plugged tee TP3220 in and logged on via 192.168.1.1 and E353 was now showing .. 0% reception and 'Connect' button available.

So I pressed it and it os now working - didn't do anything else at all.
Have 3G WiFi and getting 3.84 mbps incoming and 1.63 outgoing .. not quite 7 but working nonetheless .. totally weird ..

Now the only thing is I have to move it to another location so will try again .. and hopefully will be OK. But every time I have to relogon to IP address and Connect ..

But maybe it was purely because of the 3G Signal was poorer (or the signal linked to the box?)

HTC Incredible S 'RED'
Huawei E353
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to