General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sat 26-Nov-11 13:25:10
Print Post

T-Mobile wireless pointer

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Looking to get a T-Mo wireless pointer to provide internet access (mostly) to an iPad2, but occasionally a laptop also.

Has anyone much experience of this device? Furthermore, has anyone any idea about how T-Mobile draw the line between the (unlimited) web browsing/email and the (1GB/mth limit) "sending/receiving files from the internet and streaming"?

Thanks,
Blueacid

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Tue 29-Nov-11 08:10:54
Print Post

Re: T-Mobile wireless pointer

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

...anyone at all?

Cheers,
Blueacid
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 29-Nov-11 09:41:39
Print Post

Not sure whether you're specifically asking about the pointer device or generally:

I tried all the networks here. T-Mobile and Orange are supposed to be quite strong.

One thing I did notice is that T-Mobile inserts a script line into the head section of web pages which I think has to do with compressing images as they download. The effects of that were twofold: firstly web pages looked all "washed out" (like saving a graphic as a low quality JPEG, you lose most of the quality), and secondly, it actually broke some web pages altogether so they wouldn't load.

So while the performance was OK those two were the killer. Whether that's just PAYG (I bought a pre-loaded pack to try it out and never went any further) I don't know.

Not sure how they manage the service restriction, but those limits look pretty meagre to me - 500MB in a week?

Certainly the ability to put the device near the window (as opposed to how far the USB cable will reach) is very worthwhile.

3 seems to have this sewn up quite well with the Mi-Fi device which people seem to rave about. Nothing is compressed even on PAYG, it's like any other connection in that respect. But that's only any use if the 3 network is strong where you are.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bosie
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 30-Nov-11 05:44:57
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

It's really sad that the only major provider not to compress images is 3 and their frequency band is such that building penetration is very poor- a no win situation.

bosie
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 01-Dec-11 00:41:38
Print Post

[re: bosie] [link to this post]

Quite so - we don't get any signal at all indoors downstairs.

Works upstairs, but signal strength poor indoors.

We have a big 3G antenna on the roof feeding a router to enable wireless connectivity round the house.
Standard User GeorgeLloyd
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Dec-11 11:45:47
Print Post

[re: bosie] [link to this post]

When I was in hosptal recently 3 was the only signal I could get. Which was odd because they did not claim good coverage of that area where as T Mobile and Orange did.

George
plusnet smile
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Mon 12-Dec-11 21:36:48
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Apologies for being away for a while!

Yeah, I figured they'd compress images a little tighter, not a huge concern here.

The service restriction of "1GB of non browsing/downloading per month" is what does perplex me, no idea what would fall under that umbrella, or what happens when the 1GB limit is reached.

The ability to site the device in a location with good 3g signal is certainly a plus point; I'm sure everyone here has a memory of holding a mobile near a particular part of the house such that a feeble bar of signal is achieved.

I was looking at 3, but their approach to usage is that if you exceed the limit you are billed for any overage; there's no option to have a hard "cap" there; I'd far prefer that rather than wind up inadvertantly sailing through the limit.

Cheers,
Blueacid
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 31-Jul-13 10:55:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by blueacid:
I was looking at 3, but their approach to usage is that if you exceed the limit you are billed for any overage; there's no option to have a hard "cap" there; I'd far prefer that rather than wind up inadvertantly sailing through the limit.

you can set a credit limit cap on three on my one plan contract i have mine set to a £1 just on the off chance i want to send 1 or 2 MMS's
so you could just set a small limit that way you wont end up with a maca bill

As for the t-mob 1gig thing i asked in one of the shops once and she said that once the 1 gig runs out it cuts off and don't allow any more of that activity till the next month

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
  Print Thread

Jump to