General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jmm
(newbie) Sun 11-Dec-11 17:26:11
Print Post

Accessing business VPN with mobile broadband dongles

[link to this post]

I've been trying to find out if the 3 network (http://www.three.co.uk) support Cisco VPN, but can't find any information on their website, and the call centre personnel can't help as they haven't been trained on the subject.

We use a 2003 Cisco router running C2600-IK803S-M version 12.2(17a) release software. This is an older-style VPN setup that is still viable but you just need full control over the client-side software to configure it properly. Cisco's more recent VPN stuff apparently is a lot more opaque. At client-side we use macs running IPSecuritas v3.4 (http://www.lobotomo.com/products/IPSecuritas/).

Over land-line this works fine, and using Orange mobile broadband dongles we can connect fine as well. On Orange's website they specifically state they support VPN on all programmes.

I was wondering about mobile broadband using Three though; they do a nice MiFi based on the Huawei E585 which at first glance looks better than the offering from Orange (Huawei E5330c), so I'd prefer Three if possible.

Does anyone have any experience using the Three network with older-style VPNs and can answer the question if it works at all?

Edited by jmm (Sun 11-Dec-11 17:26:49)

Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Dec-11 18:42:27
Print Post

Re: Accessing business VPN with mobile broadband dongles

[re: jmm] [link to this post]

This might help a little, I use a Juniper based VPN over my three connection frequently.

Paul
Standard User jayteedc
(regular) Sun 11-Dec-11 18:42:44
Print Post

All I can say is that I have personally been able to VPN into my home network and into a commercial VPN provider using the 3 network and mi-fi dongle.

Perhaps that helps?

Regards,
jayteedc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Dec-11 18:43:14
Print Post

Don't know too much about the technicalities, but I can confirm that the Company that I work with uses a Cisco VPN Client - which I use successfully over a 3 dongle!

Regards,
John
O2 User
Also a FRUSTRATED O2 Box User
Standard User jmm
(newbie) Sun 11-Dec-11 20:29:07
Print Post

Thanks for the info everyone, sounds like it's worth trying at least.
Standard User jmm
(newbie) Fri 16-Dec-11 00:49:16
Print Post

Just bought a Huawei E586 and it works fine with our VPN smile You just have to make sure that the MiFi's own local subnet is different to the one used by your VPN, but that can be configured easily.
Standard User leyonchung
(newbie) Thu 26-Jan-12 11:34:26
Print Post

Well, i was just roaming around and saw this topic. Literally i do not have that much information related to CISCO and corporate but i do studied the features and prospects of a VPN Service. You can contact to some of the CISO provider or use any cisco router which will surly going to help you in getting pass through with this problem. I use iphone vpn but it is not a corporate level one neither it is for cisco.
  Print Thread

Jump to