General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Dec-11 00:11:30
Print Post

Mifi on 3UK

[link to this post]

Just wanted to say how impressed I am with this service!

I seem to get a decent H signal. I am getting right now 12.4mbps down and 5.76mbps up and as I have just got it I have 18GB to use in 4 days laugh

Got 30GB for £25 a month which is a HUGE difference from the £15.31 I used to pay o2 for a 2mbps service on a dongle with 2GB limit!

SO wanted to say thanks to Three and good luck with 4G trials! I've seen a laptop getting 80mpbs down and 68mbps up on it so woohoo smile

I just sacked my landline and BT based ADSL provider - who needs it smile

Edited by pcoventry76 (Thu 22-Dec-11 00:12:30)

Standard User jsp21c
(committed) Thu 22-Dec-11 10:00:57
Print Post

Re: Mifi on 3UK

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Nice.
For people in the places where ADSL is poor but 3G is better then mobile broadband has to be a real consideration.

I used to dread wet and windy weather, the BRAS profile on the line would drop and take several days to come back up to just 1.5 Mbits. Rotten old BT line with squirrels eating through the cable is no longer an issue for me, or indeed BT sending out engineers to find the fault and it taking until the fourth visit for them to find the fault, then BT trying to charge me for the first 3 visits when they didn't find the fault even though it was eventually found on their network. I had to get my MP involved to sort that out & eventually I had a phone call from the BT Chairman's office admitting I didn't owe them for those 3 engineer visits because the fault was on their network about 400m from my home.
I can't see myself ever going back to a land line at my location unless by some miracle they install fibre optics directly to my house. Wireless 4G is much more likely in the next few years.

The thing is, you can buy a Mifi or dongle & test it where you're going to use it and if it's better you can dump ADSL (and even the line) when the contract expires. No more BT line rental increases or engineer call out charges.

BTW, how did you get 30GB/month ?

------------------------------------------------
ASUS P7P55D-EVO, Intel Core i7 860, 8GB Corsair DDR3, Windows 7x64
Fractal Design R3 Black Case

Edited by jsp21c (Thu 22-Dec-11 10:21:03)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Dec-11 10:15:03
Print Post

[re: jsp21c] [link to this post]

Also worth pointing out that people are seeing good signals from MiFi in cases where their phone gave a poor signal...

Another advantage you can leave the MiFi sat on a window sill with a good signal, and the WiFi to hook up your machine.

I've also found some of the other mobile broadband routers to be pretty good. They make a good addition to the keeping connected everywhere travel bag

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Dec-11 10:25:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

indeed!

I'm sat at waterloo now on my ipad with the thing in my bag.. I've got a 5000mah battery pack I got from ebay for £20 so I have lots and lots of battery life. Both fit inside a pencil case!

I got a deal of £25 for 30GB. Rang them up to discuss it.

I get full signal here - i get 3-4 bars on my phone. as Andrew says you can leave it connected. When I move to my new house I will save a packet on landlines etc. I don't need them. I've been to the new house ( nearly built) and the signal there is the same here.

I get the H and when I tested 13 down and 4.9 up smile

and if i get really stuck I can just link my phone to my PC thanks to the one plan smile
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Dec-11 22:23:34
Print Post

[re: jsp21c] [link to this post]

been connected for 24 hours now - still same speeds smile very impressed smile
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Dec-11 21:14:23
Print Post

Impressive.

At that rate in another 2 days you will have used up your months allowance and excessive usage charges will kick in!

What are you going to do for the remaining 24 days this billing period?

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User MaxNRG
(regular) Fri 23-Dec-11 22:32:02
Print Post

Like you I have the new HSPA+ 3UK MiFi (Huawei 856). I got some amazing speeds while taking the train up to family in Bucks, 8Mbs/3.5Mbs while on a moving train. Managed to watch iPlayer on the go. Unfortunately my home must be in some kind of 3G blackspot as I can just about manage 1.5Mbs/1Mbs frown It's a great device with very good pricing, I have 15GB/month for £15.99 on a one month rolling contract but am disappointed that due to the postcode lottery I lose on speed in my house frown

I now use the MiFi primarily to watch streamed Sky Go/iPlayer/Demand5 on my iPhone with a much better signal than my phone manges.

Be* Unlimited (4Mb/1Mb)
Alcatel Speed Touch 780 + Apple Airport

Edited by MaxNRG (Fri 23-Dec-11 22:32:36)

Standard User MaxNRG
(regular) Sat 24-Dec-11 09:14:13
Print Post

[re: MaxNRG] [link to this post]

After working out where the nearest 3 transmitter is and positioning the MiFi on the correct side of the house on the window sill:

ThinkBroadband Mobile Speedtest:
2.28Mbps/1.53Mbps

speedtest.net:
2.17Mbps/1.72Mbps (63ms ping)

Not too bad at all as a backup to my ADSL.

Be* Unlimited (4Mb/1Mb)
Thomson TG585v7 + AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Generation)
(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Dec-11 16:19:17
Print Post

I'm not far from the nearest cell. I am geeky so I know exactly where it is and I can see it when I drive out of my house every day.

It's sort of up and down all day but right now I am getting this 10.0mbps/3.01mbps

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1666782320.png

Not complaining!

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 24-Dec-11 16:20:58)

(knowledge is power) Sat 24-Dec-11 16:20:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by MaxNRG:
I have 15GB/month for £15.99 on a one month rolling contract

15GB OR 5GB? there is no package on offer for £15,99 apart from 5GB - if you got 15GB on a 1 month contract then I am going to ring up and ask how!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to