General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stod
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 16:59:22
Print Post

PAYG 3G Data SIM card for Wireless 3G Router/Modem

[link to this post]

I shall be visiting the UK on infrequent occasions. As I want to stay in touch with my emails and access the Internet I have purchased a 3G Wireless Router with inbuilt modem (Solwise NET-3G-434T). This will enable me to connect my laptop (and my wife's Ipad) to the Internet. All I now need is a suitable 3G Data SIM Card to insert into the Router.

So, I am looking for a PAYG Data SIM Card.

I do not want to pay a monthly fixed amount. I simply want to pay for a SIM Card up front and then top it up (at an ATM or online) when I visit the UK. i.e. I want a simple PAYG system.

Can anyone help me please and identify a suitable PAYG 3G Data SIM Card?
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 16-Feb-12 17:24:03
Print Post

Re: PAYG 3G Data SIM card for Wireless 3G Router/Modem

[re: stod] [link to this post]

Title caught my attention.

Hoping someone would know the answer as I looked at this problem about 6 weeks ago. Was after a sim card with a certain amount of data loaded onto it (and easy to top up) and it does not run out. Wanted it for a little 10 inch screen notebook for Dad in the caravan when on holiday over the year. No good paying even £10 and it runs out in 30 days. No good as holiday moght be 4 night maximum.

Same thing as you want.

Was a few vodafone sim cards of an old offer there no longer do.

All the networks here are gready and want money every 30 days but ebay did a few old ones and now can find just this. He will do for £80.

Good if you are going to use for years.

Got dad an external magmount antenna and a beeter wireless N plug in usb dongle and he can use the notebook in the car at mcdonalds car parks and a chain of pubs, greene king.

another way but need to get to these places or find a free hotspot.

BT fon ( peoples home routers, I have) or BTOpenzone another option.

nice to have the 3g dongle and please yourself and will go with what you have bought.

Can now find just the one and not new but ok price. Was around this price the other week.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VODAFONE-Mobile-Broadband-...
Standard User stod
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 17:33:37
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Thanks Daniel_g. Glad that I am not alone in my requirements. Unfortunately the ebay listing has been removed. Will keep my eyes open. I am continuing to make enquiries. I am in the UK next week for a few days and will try to find time to visit some of the Service Providers.

I use a 3G dongle at home (not in the UK) inserted into a Linksys Wireless Router in order to access the Internet, and this works fine. I have no telephone line. I pay a monthly fee for this but clearly do not want the same sort of Contract in the UK.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 16-Feb-12 17:40:50
Print Post

ebay listing had 6 days, has the link worked.

strange one, worked for me when checking the posting.

I have it hours and found nothing, they all want your money everymonth like you do now at your home.

All a big con!.

Poor Dad will be on slow free wifi at Mc Donalds or the local pubs, I tried and came up with nothing but the £80 or £90 vodafone cards like the one I found.

Did find these earlier, thought the vodafone was better as non ending. Still £20 for 6 months, not bad if you come here a bit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREEDOM-TALK-3G-3-Mobile-B...
Standard User daved476
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 19:09:41
Print Post

Three offer pre-paid sim cards. You can often find these on ebay in the UK or on amazon for far less than the cost of a top-up (e.g. 3Gb for around £11). Just buy a new one when the data expires or the time is up (3 months for a 3Gb card). They turn in to PAYG once the original data is used, but it is generally cheaper to buy a new one.
Have a search on Amazon for "mobile broadband" and you generally get a few options.

Enjoy your visit
Standard User ceedee
(committed) Thu 16-Feb-12 20:04:26
Print Post

[re: daved476] [link to this post]

"Mobile Broadband Preloaded Data Sim Cards" on Amazon UK:

1GB over 30 days - £6.00

3GB over 90 days - £11.15

Hope that helps!
Standard User stod
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 22:13:03
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Just ordered "3 Broadband Prepay SIM Card PAYG" from Amazon. One month for £2. Will see how I get on. If these sorts of deals are available then maybe, just before I visit the UK, I order one of these. Will be there next week to check it out. Will also try to check out the main Service Providers. Will keep you posted.
Standard User ceedee
(committed) Fri 17-Feb-12 07:54:14
Print Post

I suspect the SIM you've bought includes no data allowance so you'll need to pay £2.99 per day (for up to 500MB) or £10 for 1GB (which will only last 30 days) to be able to use it in your router.

Edited by ceedee (Fri 17-Feb-12 08:02:28)

Standard User stod
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 08:43:27
Print Post

[re: ceedee] [link to this post]

Thanks ceedee. Yes, I suddenly thought later last night that it only states "broadband" and not 3G. So, how does one know whether it supports data or not. And where do you go to "activate" data?
Standard User ceedee
(committed) Fri 17-Feb-12 09:01:42
Print Post

I think when you first connect to the 3UK network, it'll direct you to register an account at My3 and then tell you that you need to add some credit to your account (minimum £10, I think). You can then purchase a 30-day data allowance Add-on of 1GB (£10), 3GB (£15) or 7GB (£25) from that credit balance.
(The 500MB "Pay per day" Add-on (£2.99) should also be available but it doesn't show up on my account for some reason...)

I've only ever used a 3UK mobile broadband SIM in a USB modem stick but I believe these will be your options using the 'unloaded' SIM in your very nice 3G router.

If you're going to be in the UK for several trips over a three-month period, I'd recommend you buy a new SIM with 3GB pre-loaded (for about £12) that'll last for 90 days.
Standard User stod
(newbie) Fri 17-Feb-12 10:35:47
Print Post

Thanks ceedee. I guess that this is all a learning curve!! Anyway, I have now ordered a "3 Original Broadband Ready to Go 1GB Preloaded Data Sim Card for Mobile Devices" for £5. I gather that this lasts 30 days. So, will "give this one a whirl" as well and see how I get on. I'm supposed to be going on holiday but seems like I could be spending a little time sorting out wireless networks and access to the Internet!!!
Standard User ceedee
(committed) Fri 17-Feb-12 11:01:42
Print Post

smile

Hope you find some time to enjoy your holiday once you get online!
Standard User Calgully
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 08:31:51
Print Post

Are these guys legit?
How can they sell sims on Amazon at half the telco retail rate?
Sounds dodgy to me.
Standard User ceedee
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-12 09:28:56
Print Post

[re: Calgully] [link to this post]

I've bought five of the 'cut-price' 3GB/90 day SIMs from two different Amazon suppliers over the last three years (to use in an old 3UK dongle with a netbook) and each one has registered and worked without any problems.
Standard User Calgully
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 09:46:29
Print Post

OK thanks. I might give one a go. Its just that usually if something sounds too good to be true then usually it is.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to