General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Calgully
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 07:34:27
Print Post

Advice for an International Visitor

[link to this post]

Hi guys.

I will be visiting UK with my family in two weeks time. We will be staying for 4 weeks and will be bringing the set of electronic equipment needed for a modern day teenage kid family holiday - (iphones, ipad etc). We want to be online throughout our travels, so a 3G broadband on PAYG for 30 days would be ideal.

I have an unlocked Australian mobile WiFi device that I can bring. It's quad band (incl 850, 900, 1900, 2100Mhz). Ideally Iwould like to be able to buy a UK SIM and use it in this device.

So, I have been looking at the Three mobile broadband SIM only offer - 10 pounds 50 for 1 month or 20pounds for 3G over 3 months. Sounds good to me.

My questions are: 1) Will it work technically? and 2) will Three allow me to use the sim in my device (ie they dont restrict tethered usage) ?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-12 08:06:58
Print Post

Re: Advice for an International Visitor

[re: Calgully] [link to this post]

Hi there,

Should work fine unless your device is locked by your mobile operator in Australia. In the UK if you buy a device from one operator ie Orange you cant usually just buy a sim card from Three and put it in the device, you need to get the device unlocked so it will work on any network.

Are you staying around big cities or travelling the length of the country?

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Calgully
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 08:17:15
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Thanks.

yes, its unlocked - I have checked it with sims from two other Australian networks and it's fine. I just wasn't sure about the frequencies etc over there, and I was cautious about the distinction between mobile phone sims and mobile broadband sims.

We'll be in London then travelling by train to Cardiff and Edinburgh and maybe a few places in between, but not really anywhere too remote. I guess having the thing operating while on the trains would be useful, and depending where we stay overnight - some hotels have free wifi but some dont so being able to plan our days and book things online etc would be useful - and I think teenage daughter (skyping or facebooking or whatever they do) back to friends back home.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Sat 10-Mar-12 08:31:24
Print Post

the uk uses 2100 for 3g

Look at all networks offers and work out how much data you will need in a month and find the best deal.

Most network providers have coverage maps.

On the train may be dificult due to poor coverage in rural areas for 3g.

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now part of plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT)
Standard User Calgully
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 08:38:55
Print Post

[re: adamtemp] [link to this post]

Thanks yeah I know trains are tough. Apart from anything else they're a natural faraday cage that shields electromagnetic radiation. Sometimes that's a good thing but not when you want a signal.

I think 3 has the best deal for what we'll need. Voda seem to be more expensive at 5 pounds for each 250Mb, whereas 3 has a 20 pounds for 3Gb deal. Other networks seems to get less favourable reviews - and O2 wont even let me view their site coz I'm not in the UK - really weird so that's put me off them.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Mar-12 09:13:45
Print Post

3 probably has the best data network of all the UK operators and for your trip, it will be the best deal (as you have ascertained).
Standard User Calgully
(newbie) Sat 10-Mar-12 09:51:56
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help guys - much appreciated.

We're looking forward to our trip. It's been many years since visiting the UK. No mobile broadband when last I was there - not even any mobile phones I dont think. I recall calling back home from a payphone at Heathrow airport - it swallowed 2 pound coins at the rate of about 1 per minute. At least mobile telecoms fees are phenomenally cheaper these days - will be able to video skype call every day for stuff-all cost this time.

In reply to a post by Spasch:
3 probably has the best data network of all the UK operators and for your trip, it will be the best deal (as you have ascertained).
Standard User GeorgeLloyd
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Mar-12 10:22:28
Print Post

Skpe to Skype calls on 3 used to be free not sure if that is stiil true. They used to make a big thing about it in their adds.

George
plusnet smile
  Print Thread

Jump to