General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Boboa
(newbie) Mon 12-Mar-12 15:36:51
Print Post

Cheap Mobile Broadband

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am on Mac OS (10.6) and would like to purchase a mobile broadband usb stick. Ideally a cheap "pay monthly" that doesn't tie me into a long contract. (I travel a lot, and sometimes I'm away for 1-2 months, then back in the UK again for 3-4 months).

I'm based in London, living on a narrowboat. During daytime I've got internet access at work. So I'd only be using it in the evenings & week-ends. Mainly for e-mail / news. And the odd Skype call.

For my mobile phone, I'm on a pay-as-you-go, using around £15 per month in call costs, on a very simple/old Nokia phone. Again a contract doesn't suit me as I'm sometimes away for a long period of time.

Can someone recommend a good network/deal for me? Best I could find was £10/month from T-Mobile.
Should I keep mobile phone & mobile broadband separate? Or could I save costs by combining one SIM card between the USB dongle and my mobile?

Many thanks!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 12-Mar-12 16:56:05
Print Post

Re: Cheap Mobile Broadband

[re: Boboa] [link to this post]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vodafone-K3565-Non-Expirin...
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 12-Mar-12 17:54:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Boboa:
Hi,

I am on Mac OS (10.6) and would like to purchase a mobile broadband usb stick. Ideally a cheap "pay monthly" that doesn't tie me into a long contract. (I travel a lot, and sometimes I'm away for 1-2 months, then back in the UK again for 3-4 months).

I'm based in London, living on a narrowboat. During daytime I've got internet access at work. So I'd only be using it in the evenings & week-ends. Mainly for e-mail / news. And the odd Skype call.

For my mobile phone, I'm on a pay-as-you-go, using around £15 per month in call costs, on a very simple/old Nokia phone. Again a contract doesn't suit me as I'm sometimes away for a long period of time.

Can someone recommend a good network/deal for me? Best I could find was £10/month from T-Mobile.
Should I keep mobile phone & mobile broadband separate? Or could I save costs by combining one SIM card between the USB dongle and my mobile?

Many thanks!

take a look at this they have all different options

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Boboa
(newbie) Mon 12-Mar-12 18:08:15
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I found Orange do a good deal it seems:
£15 per month for 1 gig, no long contracts. It even comes with unlimited BTOpenZone Mobile Wifi Access. And the best thing:
£5 off per month if you're on Orange Pay As You Go. (Which, again, is easy & cheap to get at carphone warehouse even if I don't end up using it).

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-broadband/dongles

Or is there a catch?
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 12-Mar-12 18:26:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by Boboa:
I found Orange do a good deal it seems:
£15 per month for 1 gig, no long contracts. It even comes with unlimited BTOpenZone Mobile Wifi Access. And the best thing:
£5 off per month if you're on Orange Pay As You Go. (Which, again, is easy & cheap to get at carphone warehouse even if I don't end up using it).

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-broadband/dongles

Or is there a catch?

don't hold me to this but i think you have to top up so much every so many weeks to actually get the discount usually its a requirement for deals like that

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 15-Mar-12 08:18:23
Print Post

My ebay thing was £15 for 1Gb, I think that is expensive as can do better for a 30 day time limit thing like they all are now.

Still the thing I found, no time limit so good when you are away so wont want to pay that month or wasting credit as the time runs out and you are not here.

Still just one other person at the maximum bid of £35 I guess as I got for £36 and did a max of £75 so very happy. Did like the £60 buy it now but that chance went yesterday morning when the one other person bidded.

Me got what you could have done with for £36, so all good stuff!.
  Print Thread

Jump to