General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User elred
(newbie) Thu 15-Mar-12 21:35:53
Print Post

USB Modems and Universal Antenna Connector

[link to this post]

For the last 2 years I have been stuck with a GPRS (max 60kbits/s) signal (Movistar)in a stone house in Galicia Spain. To maximise the signal and stabilise it I added an external panel antenna with universal coupler for the dongle (OvationMC950D). This at least provided a stable signal. Very slow but in line with the pace of life here!!
I now have an unlocked Alcatel X220L and a new provider using the Orange Network. I have at worst EDGE but 95% of the time 3G/HSPA albeit only 1/2 bars. However when I attach the universal coupling/antenna there is no improvement - if anything the signal strength appears less!. It's a Panorama panel antenna and coupling speced for 2100MHz. Not sure what the problem is? Are the wrap around universal couplings truly "universal"? If I take my laptop outside the house I can see 4/5 bars of signal on HSPA. Advice greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 15-Mar-12 23:29:59
Print Post

Re: USB Modems and Universal Antenna Connector

[re: elred] [link to this post]

Stick your dongle on a window facing the right direction, works for me...
M
Standard User elred
(newbie) Fri 16-Mar-12 09:48:33
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thanks- already done that and it does improve the signal a bit. It would be nice to know though why my existing set up which worked with GPRS does not make any improvement on HSPA.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Mar-12 10:39:31
Print Post

[re: elred] [link to this post]

Maybe the frequency is different, or you need to experiment with different antenna positioning.

If its dry you can hang the USB dongle outside the window, or place in a plastic box to protect from elements.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User elred
(newbie) Fri 16-Mar-12 11:00:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks. I have already taken the laptop plus new dongle outside the house and tried different positions/directions. Strange thing was that reception was better without the universal connector wrapped aroung the dongle. I have checked with Panorama and they confirm the antenna and connector are sutable for 1710-2170MHz range which is the HSPA signal I get from Orange. Is it possible that the Alcatel dongle does not recognise the connection?
  Print Thread

Jump to