General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Corbula
(member) Sat 07-Apr-12 22:27:44
Print Post

likelihood of o2 expanding mobile coverage

[link to this post]

I'm currently with Orange mobile phone contract which ends in June. Giffgaff seems like a good network to be with right now but as they use o2's network their is no 3g coverage in my area. What is the likelihood of o2 expanding their 3g coverage?
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 07-Apr-12 23:19:34
Print Post

Re: likelihood of o2 expanding mobile coverage

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

Slim to nil, unless you are on the fringe of 3G coverage at the mo. They might deploy UMTS900 to provide a larger footprint.

Paul
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 08-Apr-12 00:48:17
Print Post

o2 r the worst 3g coverage in the uk. i would say the best 3g coverage is 3 and t-mobile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Corbula
(member) Mon 09-Apr-12 15:06:51
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

I'm on Orange at the moment and that has excellent coverage in my area. 3 seems to have good coverage all over the place too but from what i've heard people on 3 get decent speeds too. It just depends on who i can get the best deal out of when my contract ends.
Standard User jamieearl
(newbie) Mon 28-May-12 20:22:26
Print Post

If I was you I'd stick to Everything Everywhere. In basic terms they put up their masts in the same place as three, have separate 3G masts to three, they also have a large 2g coverage.

ADSL24 soon to be Talktalk FTTC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 28-May-12 21:09:59
Print Post

[re: jamieearl] [link to this post]

I second that smile,

Tmobile and Orange are the best for coverage in the UK now, especially now they have consolidated their networks to be one large one.

Although im not sure on 3, they have very good coverage but have no 2g network and im not sure on the roaming agreement with everything everywhere.
1st choice - Tmobile for signal, and usually unlimited data,
2nd choice - orange, for signal and orange wednesdays
3rd choice - 3 for value and decent "3G" signal
Standard User cmrayer
(committed) Mon 28-May-12 21:31:26
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I don't think there is any real mast building at the moment, however from our UK wide research O2 are the best for 2G coverage (Brighton to Glasgow) with Vodafone a close second. 3G coverage is very variable but in the south east Vodafone proved the most stable for us with Orange/T-mobile the fastest when you can get it (and are standing still) but useless on the move.

It really is dependent on where exactly you are, in my house we get on Tmobile, no Orange, no 3, 2G Vodafone and 3G O2.

<n>
Standard User connormill
(learned) Mon 28-May-12 23:03:42
Print Post

[re: cmrayer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cmrayer:
I don't think there is any real mast building at the moment, however from our UK wide research O2 are the best for 2G coverage (Brighton to Glasgow) with Vodafone a close second. 3G coverage is very variable but in the south east Vodafone proved the most stable for us with Orange/T-mobile the fastest when you can get it (and are standing still) but useless on the move.

It really is dependent on where exactly you are, in my house we get on Tmobile, no Orange, no 3, 2G Vodafone and 3G O2.

Brighton to Glasgow? and what about the other 197 miles north of Glasgow? Because I can tell you that if you come up to Aberdeen you'll see that O2 are TERRIBLE (2G and 3G)

I use two phones on a day to day bases (one for work and one for me) My phone is on 3 and the work phone, O2. I get better 3G coverage on 3 than I do 2G coverage on O2.

Very rarely works properly, always cuts out, very slow oversubscribed data and shocking customer service. Why so many people stick with them is beyond me.

I pay £35/month to 3 for (virtually) unlimited everything. they never slow me down, no matter what i download (avg. ~5GB/month) and the speed is fantastic! My most recent speedtest on my iphone is 8.92mbps down, 4.14mbps up and a ping time of 77ms.

Not bad for a 3G network if you as me, a lot of LTE dosent touch that speed

Getting about 15mb down and 900k up on Sky DSL, not bad when it's free! Can't wait for FTTC (30-6-12)

Disclaimer: I work for sky, but have no involvement AT ALL with broadband, so dont ask! tongue
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(member) Mon 28-May-12 23:52:12
Print Post

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

And just to counter with further more anecdotal personal experience, go north of Aberdeen to Inverness or Thurso or across to Ullapool and you'll find Orange and T-Mobile virtually non-existent outside of towns

(And for the record I find O2's coverage perfectly fine in Aberdeen, hell their 3G coverage is better than 3's let alone 2G)

Edited by qasdfdsaq (Tue 29-May-12 00:25:32)

Standard User connormill
(learned) Tue 29-May-12 07:45:24
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by qasdfdsaq:
And just to counter with further more anecdotal personal experience, go north of Aberdeen to Inverness or Thurso or across to Ullapool and you'll find Orange and T-Mobile virtually non-existent outside of towns

(And for the record I find O2's coverage perfectly fine in Aberdeen, hell their 3G coverage is better than 3's let alone 2G)

You are joking right?

I live right in the city centre of Aberdeeen, Union Street is about 100m away!

got two phone's here, one on 3 getting about 8mbps download speed and one on O2 that barely manages to get 1 bar on edge.

Getting about 15mb down and 900k up on Sky DSL, not bad when it's free! Can't wait for FTTC (30-6-12)

Disclaimer: I work for sky, but have no involvement AT ALL with broadband, so dont ask! tongue
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to