General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Error
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Apr-12 14:21:38
Print Post

Three Tethering

[link to this post]

I know that it's not allowed, but...

Does anyone know from personal experience if Three's All You Can Eat contracts or PAYG can be tethered? I read from some that it can, others say not (but those people seem to have tried the sim in a dongle)

thanks
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Apr-12 15:35:18
Print Post

Re: Three Tethering

[re: Error] [link to this post]

I believe it's only The One Plan that can be officially tethered.

Edited by Kiggs (Sat 14-Apr-12 15:40:17)

Standard User Error
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Apr-12 15:43:16
Print Post

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

thanks, I knew that, yet still asked the question as I want a definitive answer, not an official one.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 14-Apr-12 16:29:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by Error:
I know that it's not allowed, but...

Does anyone know from personal experience if Three's All You Can Eat contracts or PAYG can be tethered? I read from some that it can, others say not (but those people seem to have tried the sim in a dongle)

thanks

No it cant tried this 2 days ago with a friends phone Samsung galaxy Ace) and when you try brows on the comp it redirects to three tether block page, Ended up putting my sim in his phone (im on the one plan which as said is the only plan with allowed tethering my phone was dead hence trying tethering on his phone to start with) so sorry defo answer is no

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 59744/25360 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps
Standard User leexgx
(regular) Thu 19-Apr-12 17:47:03
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

it depends on the phone if it get blocked or not (i been tethering on the all you can eat £15 not an issue, i am back to my T-mobile sim, 6 months for £20 but its still unlimited web use after the 500mb has been used up so that does me fine)

if your using some of the official Three phones they have two APN's one for phone use one for tethering use to block tethering unless you pay for it (the only other way is to detect it is based on usage do not think three and t-mobile bother with it)

my HTC desire (not s) and my Mobile 3G modem thats Built into my laptop i was never blocked from using the Three PAYG sim (guess thats tethering or using an norm payg sim with all you can eat bolt on in an device thats not an phone)

not that i recommend users to abuse it, as i just its for my job (light works, flash is disable by default unless i click on them)

Standard User Error
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Apr-12 15:04:53
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

Thanks. Might be worth blowing £15 on a PAYG sim just to check before I tell them to stuff their contract as it seems users have different experiences. I'm hoping to use a desire running a custom ROM, apparently the package I'm on now doesn't allow tethering, yet I've been doing it for over a year, on and off, with my 2Gb allowance.
Standard User leexgx
(regular) Sun 22-Apr-12 16:21:44
Print Post

the users who are having issue with tethering not allowed issues, are most likely Three ROM'ed phones or an iPhone (there will be 2 APN's on the phone one for mobile one for wifi/tethering)

If its an stock phone or not an Three locked phone (even if its unlocked from three its still an Three phone) tethering should not be an issue (iPhone you need to jail brake them as to change the second APN to be the same as the main one or use an app like PDAnet +jailbreak)

I had my Three PAYG all you can eat sim in my laptop i had no issue, but most likely they do not have that device IMEI number of that device to auto block it

I would use three just it hardly ever works in doors and results in more battery used (also overloaded network where I am so low speeds and YouTube some times keep on buffering due to the min 1mb/s required to stream HQ on the phone, and the issue with phantom network connection and takes 1 min for the phone to detect its no longer connected to the mast does this on 2 phones to dif makes Nokia and the desire)

If three works Grate where you are fine Three are very good on there plans. Just where I live they seem to think its ok that it only works out side….. (Three around where I am need to place at least 10-15 more masts in between the currant masts that are operating as there are too many Dead spots unlike O2,Orange and T-mobile mostly) why Three setup there masts to far from each other when they have No 2g network to back it up

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Apr-12 00:30:11
Print Post

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kiggs:
I believe it's only The One Plan that can be officially tethered.

Three will add a tethering add on to the Ultimate Internet 1000 tariff for £5 extra and that comes with 5120MB of data.. But it's cheaper to get the 1plan

They put it on my 1plan last month and then it went. No idea why!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 12-Jun-12 07:18:17
Print Post

[re: leexgx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by leexgx:
the users who are having issue with tethering not allowed issues, are most likely Three ROM'ed phones or an iPhone (there will be 2 APN's on the phone one for mobile one for wifi/tethering)

If its an stock phone or not an Three locked phone (even if its unlocked from three its still an Three phone) tethering should not be an issue (iPhone you need to jail brake them as to change the second APN to be the same as the main one or use an app like PDAnet +jailbreak)

I had my Three PAYG all you can eat sim in my laptop i had no issue, but most likely they do not have that device IMEI number of that device to auto block it

I would use three just it hardly ever works in doors and results in more battery used (also overloaded network where I am so low speeds and YouTube some times keep on buffering due to the min 1mb/s required to stream HQ on the phone, and the issue with phantom network connection and takes 1 min for the phone to detect its no longer connected to the mast does this on 2 phones to dif makes Nokia and the desire)

If three works Grate where you are fine Three are very good on there plans. Just where I live they seem to think its ok that it only works out side….. (Three around where I am need to place at least 10-15 more masts in between the currant masts that are operating as there are too many Dead spots unlike O2,Orange and T-mobile mostly) why Three setup there masts to far from each other when they have No 2g network to back it up

worked like a charm, thank you very much
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 21-Oct-12 17:06:03
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

hi all, just thought i'd add my exp. been with three for yonks (works grate(?) for me) been tethering on threepay 2gb allowance. no probs - its allowed. then i brought this europa and got the 15 dollar add on (£). tethered to the tune of 100gb a month. no probs. I then thought, ok. i changed my threepay sim for the latest plan and took the 12.90 rolling monthly. and guess what! they keep cutting me off. even when i'm just using adownloader app on phone! i'm cancelling my contract and gonna try the £15 add on till i can get a proper broadband deal with sky or someone
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to