General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 12-Aug-12 14:35:21
Print Post

Getting 812k/s on O2.. anywhere faster?

[link to this post]

I tried doing a speedtest using my data on my o2 contract and got 812k/s which is very fast, think it uses HSPA or somthing? could be wrong

this is twice as fast as my broadband and would very much like to tether using my phone. Is there any provider that do faster speeds with unlimited data?
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Sun 12-Aug-12 15:05:04
Print Post

Re: Getting 812k/s on O2.. anywhere faster?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

http://store.three.co.uk/SIM_Only/Voice?id=1300&incl...

The one plan does the tethering, does on my HTC phone.

Like any mobile never sure what spped you get until you try. some towers are better than others. not so good at home but at a work place until may I get 4Mbs on the speedtest app.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 12-Aug-12 15:24:43
Print Post

I second using three they are very good i switched to the 1 plan to tether this is what i used to get on a Samsung galaxy S2 the phone ive got now only has a upto 7 modem so now i get about 5-6meg lol but still its better than some land lines. My advice would be get someone you know on three to run a speediest from were you want to use it and see how it gos.

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 12-Aug-12 17:26:20
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I don't know anyone on 3.. is it possible I can ring them up and they will tell me the speed?

I get 820kb/s download and 290kb/s upload on O2 right now from home
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 12-Aug-12 18:32:23
Print Post

There's no real way to tell without actually trying with mobile broadband there's too many things that can block a particular house from the mast, For example that was a test on three showing 9.2/3.7 but on T-Mobile i only get about 3.09/0.22 so that's a huge difference from the three results. Maybe your best bet is to just get a 30day sim and actually try three out and see what you think that way all you've lost is x amount of money and if it turns out worse then stick with o2

Ash

littlebigone.com FTTC 70000/23828 kbps Bigtv+ IPTV Package 588M from the cab 6dB snr 22Aten
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 12-Aug-12 19:17:12
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

I have an o2 only phone, or else I would of loved to try it
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 12-Aug-12 19:57:19
Print Post

if its an o2 contract phone chances are its unlocked ive had 4 o2 contract phones in the past and 3 of them were unlocked and 1 of them was locked ive also had 2 PAYG from o2 that were unlocked so only thing i can say is its trial and error without trying youll never know

Ash

Edited by acpsd775 (Sun 12-Aug-12 20:11:57)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 12-Aug-12 20:41:00
Print Post

ok great, I will try it

In theory, if coverage is great.. what is the max download speed capable on 3? Im reading 21mbits sec.. so around 2mb/s a sec download in theory?

I read on an article that the max download speed is only 7.2mbit with a samsung galaxy s3? I can get 820k/s so thats around 8mbit so I doubt thats the case.. very confusing
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 12-Aug-12 22:28:28
Print Post

It depends on the capabilities of the cell you're attaching to.

Other factors are contention and signal strength.

In daily use there's no fixed speed. You could download at 7Mbps one day (one hour, one minute) and 3Mbps the next.

That being typically the key difference between ADSL (fixed line, fixed max speed, and as long as there's enough to go around further back up the chain you'll see a more or less fixed max rate) and 3G (variable signal, fixed max speed, variable capacity)

We have 3 as our main broadband service and speeds are typically 5Mbps down 2.5Mbps up.

HSPA+ (up to 21Mbps) seems to perform better especially on the upstream than HSPA (up to 7.2Mbps).

However the fastest downstream speed I've seen is 11Mbps - so even if the cell is 14Mbps or 21Mbps capable, signal and contention mean I never see the theoretical maximum.

Stand to be corrected but I think 820kbps is circa 6.2Mbps.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Mon 13-Aug-12 09:45:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
ok great, I will try it

In theory, if coverage is great.. what is the max download speed capable on 3? Im reading 21mbits sec.. so around 2mb/s a sec download in theory?

I read on an article that the max download speed is only 7.2mbit with a samsung galaxy s3? I can get 820k/s so thats around 8mbit so I doubt thats the case.. very confusing

The Galaxy S3 is 21 Mbps / 5.76 Mbps so as said its down to weather your masts been upgraded or not.

Just to confirm when you say your o2 is 820Kb is it defo 820Kb as in 6.2meg or as is 102KB i just ask because ive never seen o2 go past 3meg (366k) best to double confirm these things

Ash

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to