General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PeterUK2011
(newbie) Tue 21-Aug-12 11:32:33
Print Post

Three Mobile issues and Slower Tethering, Advice please

[link to this post]

Hello Forum Users,

My question is based on my three network, decent phone Sony Xperia S. But ignoring that my issue is.

Mobile internet is running at 300-500 KB/s. Tethering is only running at 200 KB/s.

Do other people have the same issue?

Is there any tethering speed optimizing solutions? I am using USB Tethering to save the battery.

As Sony Xperia S is good for application customisation without rooting, I disabled and uninstalled lots of applications I don't use such as facebook, twitter etc. things that were running all the time in the background.

Is there a way to set your computer (Windows 7) to recognize this device, currently every time i plug it in it adds a new network its currently on "Network Connection 107" I don't mean to set a static IP address, but maybe to set it so it recognizes the device instead of making new connection.

Thank you in advance for polite and helpful responses.
Standard User Toonshorty
(newbie) Tue 21-Aug-12 11:35:07
Print Post

Re: Three Mobile issues and Slower Tethering, Advice please

[re: PeterUK2011] [link to this post]

500KB/s is 4Mb/s which sounds about right for a mobile.

I only see around 3Mb/s on my HTC Desire on Three.

If I had an HSPA+ enabled phone and was near an HSPA+ mast then I'd be more likely to see 7-9Mb/s but 3-4Mb/s is perfectly normal.
Standard User PeterUK2011
(newbie) Tue 21-Aug-12 13:16:37
Print Post

[re: Toonshorty] [link to this post]

Sorry my issue is the tethering speed being so much lower than browsing on the mobile's internet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 21-Aug-12 13:28:10
Print Post

[re: PeterUK2011] [link to this post]

To get the best speeds you need the dongle outside facing the right way.

Ours is pretty optimal, spending a little time can produce some very good results:

http://speedtest.net/result/2130964855.png

Having a dongle indoors will reduce the speed. Same dongle, same location, but indoors on the window sill won't exceed 6Mbps, more usually 3 to 4Mbps.

Using a mobile phone instead which may well have a smaller less well optimised antenna and reduces it still further in the same way that our tablet PC gets a strong Wi-Fi signal in the house but mobiles do not. Have never seen over 3Mbps using a mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy S, Apple iPhone) here.

3 might actually prioritise the data differently (not sure on that one) reducing speed for tethered devices veruss dongles. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny that one.
  Print Thread

Jump to