General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Mon 24-Sep-12 03:05:17
Print Post

Orange / T mobile

[link to this post]

After being with o2 for a few months and being quite satisfied I finally got pushed to the edge this last week. There has been no service what-so-ever at home & the o2 status page shows my local mast isn't working. I was given no fix time either!

Finally got o2 to let me leave and I'm jumping on the T-mobile bandwagon with iPhone 5.

Anybody had any good experiences with T-mobile. Do they offer good retentions at the end of a contract?
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Sep-12 22:51:53
Print Post

Re: Orange / T mobile

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I've not had any good experiences with T-Mobile. I could tell about the bad one if you want?

Sounds like O2 have had quite a major fault with said mast. This isn't usually much of an issue as there will often be more than one mast covering each post code, I guess not where you are. That's unfortunate.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User tthom
(learned) Tue 25-Sep-12 19:52:55
Print Post

Do what I done keep your phone at the moment and buy a pay and go sim for t-mobile and any other network you may like with me it was t-mobile and 3 and 3 had a better signal both at home and at work so I am MR HAPPY laugh

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 26-Sep-12 11:49:30
Print Post

Do you use the 3G as your primary connection? If not this probably doesn't matter. If you do then it might..

When I tried out T-Mobile I found it had a habit of inserting some script block related to image compression in the web page headers as it fetched them down.

Which in turn, apart from the washed out images, caused some sites to actually break altogether.

Performance was OK though not testable with some testers - they seem to apply some sort of throttle to it so the test dies.

Whereas 3 just works like "any other connection" e.g. everything just behaves normally and round here T-Mobile is nearer 2Meg whereas 3 manages 6 to 12 Meg so that's why I didn't change.

The 3 cell has broken twice in six years, once for two days (published outage - major fault) and once for three hours (no explanation).

Note: those compression techniques *might* only apply to PAYG which is what I was trying out.
Standard User martinsq
(learned) Wed 26-Sep-12 22:22:13
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I have Orange dongle on contract (unlimited at nightime), but I found T-Mobile has a better signal
and 3G+ connection at my house. So I have set the SIM to T-Mobile.
Works well.
Standard User francisuk22
(newbie) Sun 30-Sep-12 16:08:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
I'm jumping on the T-mobile bandwagon with iPhone 5.
Anybody had any good experiences with T-mobile. Do they offer good retentions at the end of a contract?

My misses is on Virgin Mobile (samsung galaxy s2 (uses the same masks) They have blocked ports not 80 (WWW) and not (443 SSL) but for proxy and p2p is a no go! i personally don't like the way the compress the images and it happens on virgin too! However 3 network don't block nothing, and dont cache.compress images like T-Mobile UK network dos and the picture quality is good not 100% but is good.

There is a website from ofcom that can locate your nearest mask, might be useful to you before sigining up and before you enter into a contract http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

Now: Virgin Media XXL 100 Mbts Download 5 Mbits Upload
Previously had Sky Broadband Unlimited - 6 Mbits Download 768kbps Upload
Sky Fiber Broadband - NOT YET Been told 55Mbits Download 13Mbits Upload Max i can get

Edited by francisuk22 (Sun 30-Sep-12 16:14:26)

Standard User Gari
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 21:31:02
Print Post

[re: francisuk22] [link to this post]

The image compression on TM can be adjusted or switched off.
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 22:21:09
Print Post

[re: Gari] [link to this post]

How
Standard User Gari
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 22:40:35
Print Post

When using the TM connection, browse to http://accelerator.t-mobile.co.uk and select what option you want (original image quality)
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 30-Sep-12 22:41:13
Print Post

[re: Gari] [link to this post]

Isn't loading ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to