General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bob1948
(newbie) Mon 01-Oct-12 19:09:46
Print Post

Vodafone dongles

[link to this post]

I cannot get the Internet in my house through any means other than a Vodafone dongle - but the signal is awful, its keeps dropping off, is slow and totally unreliable. I am told I can buy a booster for the signal but have no idea what to buy, where to get it from or even if this is feasible or possible. Has anyone got amy susggestions at all? I have been to PC world, Maplins and surfed the web but nothing seems possible! Help please would be much appreciated.
Standard User kmendum
(newbie) Mon 01-Oct-12 20:30:12
Print Post

Re: Vodafone dongles

[re: Bob1948] [link to this post]

Googling "3G booster" produced some interesting looking results, including one from Vodafone Business. None are cheap, and you will need to mount the panel antenna somewhere convenient so it can "see" the Vodafone base station.
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Oct-12 20:44:56
Print Post

Google for "3G Antenna" - if you have line of sight to the Vodafone mast get a directional antenna. If no line of site, then you'll need an omni directional antenna.

Edited by Spasch (Mon 01-Oct-12 20:45:43)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 01-Oct-12 20:51:18
Print Post

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spasch:
If no line of site, then you'll need an omni directional antenna.
Rubbish. A directional antenna doen't care whether it can "see" the mast or not, it just increases whatever signal it can pick up. Just point a directional antenna to where the (nearest) mast actually is.

I don't have line of sight to my local TV transmitters, which is why I need a 12-element Yagi up on the roof...

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 01-Oct-12 20:53:28
Print Post

Remembered seeing this as a quick google search found the instructions again.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Huawei-E160X-Vodafon...

Then something like this on the side of the house at the top pointing towards the base station.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-antenna-yagi-ren_15ysx.htm

Is vodafone the closest or most powerfull nearest to you. Need the 2.1Ghz band UMTS, that is the data. 900Mhz for o2 and vodafone, voice and 1800Mhz for T mobile oand Orange voice.

3 ( what I have ) is just 2100Mhz.

Worth a look and get another mobile company if vodafone is not the best to your house.

http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/search

Worth a thought I guess.

Have you only ever had vodafone, are you locked into a contract with time to run.

one of the others might be better.

T mobile and orange share now so any nower of those 2 and one or the other dongle would do. thought vodafone was sharing with o2, read here but might have remembered wrong.

Nothing a search wont bring up on google I guess.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Oct-12 09:18:55
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

These can be an effective solution. Main benefit is that you can place them wherever you get best signal in the house (as long as you have a power socket) and then connect to it via wireless. Much more flexible than a dongle.

I get terrible reception downstairs but placing a MiFi in the back bedroom gives a decent connection and then just hook up to it via WiFi (also use one in the office when we need to do testing off the corporate network and our office only has reception at the very edge next to the windows - not convenient for a dongle).
Standard User Bob1948
(newbie) Tue 02-Oct-12 10:14:04
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Thank you for the suggestions - I have some homework to do. One thing though, the suggestion about relocating the dongle in a secure box outside, or even just closer to a window all make sense, but I might have to use a very long USB cable which I understood was unfeasible as there would be a signal drop? I did buy a 3 m USB cable with what was advertised as a 'built in booster' but its useless - my PC just cannot find the dongle at all when I use it. Any other suggestions about this please, as the best vodafone signal would mean a 17 m cable run away from where the PC has to be in our house!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Oct-12 10:26:33
Print Post

Urm no need for a USB signal booster on a 3m lead, you bought something that sounds like dragons breath

USB is meant to be fine up to 5m in distance. Dongles are fairly power hungry, so the voltage drop off on longer runs may not help, and trigger the 500mA cut off for some devices - hence not seeing dongle.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 02-Oct-12 10:27:54
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hello Ian

Knew about them, read on here and 3 do one. Thought a directional arial towards the tower was a save bet if weak signal. Like you say better at weaker signal than the dongle and then wireless, A lot easier than my idea but as good, me not saying I know, just had a go at answering the question. We have a vodafone dongle from ebay, the old skool one with the never expiring credit, put £10 on it and then use at least every 6 months and job done, keeps going, for dad in the caravan. got it to work once and then when in the local town.

What I think of dongles in anything but populated built up areas, rubbish, what Dad and i think with our exoerience. He wont to what I said of external ariel, not interested, if computer works in caravan nice , if not then not bothered, seemed an idea to me but he was never to keen!.

Good idea of yours, easier to do than mine of drilling dongle and doing external ariel,

He could do the mount in the box but not do as well, just as long as the connectors are noit pulled then any old project plastic box would do with the usb extension plugged in and out though a cut out notch at the top up to lid line so cable can get out.

The mounted thing is nice but some work.
Found about a year ago and remembered it was out there, quick search found it.

Not logged in last night as rushing and now at work, can remember details.

We are Daniel_g.

work at rutherford.
on the system somewhere.

password written down at home!.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 02-Oct-12 10:34:27
Print Post

Hi bob

Looks like been beaten to it writting the other thing.

USB does 5m.

Would the wireless thing work or try and external arial on the wall towards the tower, will need to mount the dongle in a box and expose the connector and get the short adaptor.

Work but nice if it goes.

Have you no closer tower of another company, advertise on gumtree for someone to come around with that network dongle and try, someone might help or if big workplace see if someone has.

Is Vodafone the best to your home.

not an expert, just trying to think of a way around the problem.

Like the wifi unit but if por reception, does it work, someone will say. Like ian said, by a window and plugged in. is one part of the house better and unstairs I would guess,

We have one and never been impressed, a white dongle of a model now gone I guess as we got second hand.

From Daniel
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to