General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 07-Oct-12 09:25:19
Print Post

3G - Rural area - connection made - want to strengthen?

[link to this post]

Hi guys and gals,

Sister-in-law lives in a very rural area in South West Wales and is using a Huawei 3G dongle and small external aerial. Whilst she gets some connectivity, it drops out a lot - I've yet to confirm a speed as yet or signal strength.

I'd like to help her get a better signal however, and was wondering what type of external aerial I could upgrade too to assist with this? Also - I'd like opinion on a decent wireless router too? I've seen a few, but wondered if there was a fav on the forum?!

Many thanks!

Si.
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Oct-12 13:42:00
Print Post

Re: 3G - Rural area - connection made - want to strengthen?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

What network? Mind posting the postcode?

Paul
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 07-Oct-12 14:03:34
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

It's on 3 and the postcode is SA32 7HJ. Not sure where she's taking the signal from as there's very few masts near her location on the OffCom site?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Oct-12 15:12:49
Print Post

The Ofcom site is out of date, I can only say where the Orange / T-Mobile cell sites are in that area.

You need to move away from the dongle and look at a router that supports the sim slot and a external antenna point at your chosen cell site.
(I don't know of '3' are on the same cells but it's worth a shot.)

I might be wise to look at hardware that is also 4G capable when it comes to you, if your budget permits.

http://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/ - 3G / 4G routers. - Other hardware suppliers exist etc...

http://www.3grouterstore.co.uk/3G/3G_Antennas.html - You want high gain, but to keep the antenna cable length as short as poss.

Paul
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 07-Oct-12 17:05:25
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

Fantastic fella. Many thanks for the pointers. Would 3 know/tell me where the nearest mast would be I wonder?

I actually landed on this site, but am a little confused as to what would be the best kit to buy to be honest? As I don't know where the mast is likely to be is it better to go with an omin-directional antenna? What's the max cable length you would suggest?

I'll look into the routers and see what I can find out. May call up the shop tomorrow.....
Standard User kitcat
(member) Sun 07-Oct-12 17:16:12
Print Post

Remember that as she is in Wales there is a Welsh assembly grant if she cannot get 2Mb BB.

This is worth looking into if she gets below this at present as at it can cover costs up to £1000, so could pay for a good antenna.

http://wales.gov.uk/topics/businessandeconomy/broadb...
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 07-Oct-12 17:22:33
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Coverage

Mobile Broadband coverage in...-
SA32 7HJ

There is currently no coverage in this area but we're working hard to bring our network to as much of the UK as possible. Please check back with us in the future to see if there is coverage in this area.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 07-Oct-12 17:31:19
Print Post

Great - thanks thus far!

We've just gone through the process and now have a solid 6mb up and down Community service which has been awesome having had 0.25mb at best[0.10 at worst!!!!] in the past. The company which we went with have advised her that there are no sub sites set up in her area to take a signal from unfortunately and they aren't planning too. Other companies are much the same but seem to promise all and deliver absolutely zilch.

So really it's a case of boosting what she currently gets in the interim with some new kit?
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Oct-12 17:47:25
Print Post

If she gets the grant for the 2 way satellite it'll be faster. She has 8 exchanges round here none on FTTC plans but the welsh government are paying through the nose to get them enabled and BT are in the contract so you never know - get her to keep an eye on the bt when and where website -

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sun 07-Oct-12 18:09:04
Print Post

Try orange as they show some (all be it every low) signal

All the rest including 3 show "no service"

So orange might be better. Get a pay as you go deal to test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to