General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User freakuno
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-12 19:10:23
Print Post

Advice on which device for micro sd streaming

[link to this post]

I am looking to purchase a mobile broadband wifi/mifi modem - preferrably unlocked or on the Three network. Probably something second hand from ebay to be honest....

1 of the main things I want to be able to do is to access an installed micro sd card which I can then load with dvds that I can stream to my Nexus 7. I did purchase an unlocked e586 but unfortunately I can only access the SD card contents when it is connected via USB.

Can anyone give some advice on which device would be suitable for streaming/sharing micro sd card contents wirelessly? I had been looking at the R201.....

Also, say for instance I did purchase a R201 (which is originally Vodafone but now unlocked) and put a Three data sim inside......how would I access the SD card, I mean, will I need to load a Three dashboard....I'm a little confused as never used one for accessing an SD card before. I have applications on my Nexus 7 which will hopefully pick up on the SD card inside the modem wirelessly (hope!).

Have also been looking at the T-mobile wireless pointer but would prefer one unlocked - is it possible to unlock these so that I can use my Three data sim....where I live the signal is a bit hit and miss and Three seems to be the best signal.

Speed isn't really an issue for me - it's the access to the SD card wirelessly that I want.

Cheers....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Nov-12 19:42:16
Print Post

Re: Advice on which device for micro sd streaming

[re: freakuno] [link to this post]

One assumes the R201 is doing what many consumer routers do now, and mounting the SD card as a network share, maybe with support for DLNA

http://www.business.vodafone.com/download/getFmlDoc.... and around page 33 shows the configuration and it is as I suspected very like other routers that offer a similar service.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to