General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mark1221
(newbie) Sat 08-Dec-12 22:30:16
Print Post

Re: Would You Consider Replacing Your Home Broadband with 4G

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Has anyone managed to find a router that is compatible with DC-HSDPA on 3?? I can't get fixed line broadband so totally rely on mobile broadband. I've got the TP-Link MR3420 with a Huawei E367 connected to it which provides average speeds of 10mbps (I'm less than 1/2 mile from the antenna with clear line of sight). But I purchased the Huawei E3256 with DC-HSDPA technology and it can reach 25Mbps! Only trouble is, it's not compatible with the TP-Link router.
There is a Netgear MBR1310 which is DC-HSDPA compatible and doesn't require a dongle (it has a SIM slot) but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Does anyone know when they will be releasing it. Even Netgear can't tell me!
Now I've seen what DC-HSDPA can do, I'm keen to use it but can't cope with just plugging it into the side of the laptop. I've even tried sharing it over the network but came up against problems with my Vonage VOIP adapter so I imagine there will be similar problems with game consoles etc...
Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I will just ahve to sit and wait to see what gets released.
Mark
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:05:26
Print Post

[re: mark1221] [link to this post]

I am not sure. I have a TP-Link too with a USB port but its only HSPA21 which is what you had in the first place.

I get 27 on my DC=HSPA+ service. I am trying to think of a device which can help you. Maybe a mifi? Your right a USB dongle is not very good at all.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Dec-12 23:09:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
I just recycled my S3 and got £350 for it - I put that into getting an Iphone 5 ....
I agree with you.

I just sold my S3 on ebay for £395 and I am off today to get a Nexus 4 to see how I get on with that.
Make your mind up tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.7/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jsp21c
(committed) Sun 09-Dec-12 11:04:51
Print Post

[re: mark1221] [link to this post]

Hi, I've got the same TP-Link router and E367 too & done several firmware upgrades during my time of ownership.

It appears that my version of the MR3420 is v.1 and only v.2 will support 4G type dongles. Check para 5 on the link below.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/3g-comp-list/?mode...

Maybe TP-Link regard the E3256 as 4G LTE type and it won't be supported by the MR3420 v.1.

It firms up my decision to replace the E367 and router with a smartphone next spring, possibly the Nexus 4.

------------------------------------------------
ASUS P7P55D-EVO, Intel Core i7 860, 8GB Corsair DDR3, Windows 7x64
Fractal Design R3 Black Case
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Dec-12 16:05:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Why do I need to?

Oh I see - LOL sorry was not very clear. I had 2 S3's one which I had PAYg and one I got from 3 on a contract.

I got then returend a nexus then got a 5 which I have now. Both s3's gone

My bad!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 09-Dec-12 16:20:12
Print Post

LOL also here. That sequence doesn't seem to hold water.

More seriously - have I got this wrong? I thought the i5 supports the EE frequency range, but no other network will be in that range, they will all be in the lower one. Or does the i5 support both ranges?

And other smartphones will only support the low one?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Dec-12 17:13:51
Print Post

Well if you want to sit here and rip people's comment to shreads and examine them you carry on. That's an all new level of saddo.

And yes 1800mhz - which EE just sold a chuck of to 3. But they aren't letting it go until September 2013 now so they can monopolise the market. That's the latest Ofcom said they can keep it till. And then like EE 3 will be getting Huaweii to install 4G kit with 1Gbps back hauls
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Dec-12 17:14:53
Print Post

[re: ssy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ssy:
Hi Guys, new poster here.

I'm currently with Three on AYCE and can get as much as 5.5MBs DL speeds and uploads speeds of not much lower.

At the moment I can stream HD content via iPlayer and tvcatchup via tethering from my mobile to my laptop, which is quite good. Ping times are still very high though.

I recently found out that Samsung will be installing Three's 4G network and that it should be operational some time in the second half of next year (until then they are going to install DC-HSPA which will double current speeds).

When 4G does come along, won't it effectively compete with the established home broadband providers? The ping times will come down and Three's data allowance is already larger than some other home broadband suppliers.

Thanks

Al

Anyway to answer again ( and leave the saddos to [censored] over their memory of what was said before) I don't regret getting rid of my cable line for a new DC-HSPA connection.

So yes I would if 4G could deliver double again.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 09-Dec-12 17:58:05
Print Post

Well if you want to sit here and rip people's comment to shreads and examine them you carry on.
?
Wrong side of bed this morning? Or just had a sense-of humour bypass? Or just lacking one in the first place?
That's an all new level of saddo.
A very grown-up comment.

Just to recap:-
You had two S3s.

Sat 01-Dec-12 - sold one for £350 to put towards an iPhone5.
Tue 04-Dec-12 - sold the other for £395 and went to buy a Nexus 4.
Sun 09-Dec-12 - returned a (the?) Nexus and bought an iPhone5.

My post clearly treated that as a humorous side-issue and proceeded specifically to something sensible. I'm sorry if it upset you.
And yes 1800mhz - which EE just sold a chuck of to 3. But they aren't letting it go until September 2013 now so they can monopolise the market. That's the latest Ofcom said they can keep it till. And then like EE 3 will be getting Huaweii to install 4G kit with 1Gbps back hauls
Would I be right in thinking the Nexus doesn't support 1800MHz?

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Dec-12 19:06:55
Print Post

The nexus doesnt do 4G

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to