General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sun 09-Dec-12 19:16:48
Print Post

Re: Would You Consider Replacing Your Home Broadband with 4G

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The nexus doesnt do 4G

They actual found it dose but it seams only on very limited carriers See here

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps - Speedtest
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Dec-12 20:08:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I didn't know that which was another reason why I took it back.

3's 4G is now September onwards but it's worth the wait I am sure as the service they provide is just amazing anyway
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Dec-12 15:57:55
Print Post

[re: ssy] [link to this post]

This is the lowest I have seen it go (usually mid 20's) but its still 5-6mbps more than my land line can deliver right now.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2363418633.png

So I am happy.

I did have to ring 3 as I was getting the tethering blocking page on my phone because the Iphone uses 2 APN's and Android only uses the one. But after a lot of apologising they fixed it. After all I am on the One plan smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mark1221
(newbie) Mon 10-Dec-12 17:04:08
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

The problem with MiFi devices is that I have yet to see one that supports DC-HSPA+. Plus they don't have any cable connections which I need for some devices. I'll keep looking though. There is a device but it costs £700+ and I'm sure when 4G becomes more common the price will rapidly fall.
Standard User mark1221
(newbie) Mon 10-Dec-12 17:08:51
Print Post

[re: jsp21c] [link to this post]

I've noticed that before. I had one of the TP-LINK routers about 10 months and had to have it replaced a month ago. I got the V1 both times. I can't work out how you can specifically purchase the V2. It seems like pot luck. Unless it's for specific regions? I suppose 4G wasn't on the go when they first released the router in the UK.

When you say you are going to replace your modem and router with a smart phone, do you mean you will somehow use the smartphone to distribute a connection around your house? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Dec-12 19:12:42
Print Post

[re: mark1221] [link to this post]

The E586 does I think.

And can't you hook it to a USB hub for power? I never use mine on wireless I have it USB in the PC and running.
Standard User jsp21c
(committed) Tue 11-Dec-12 09:55:42
Print Post

[re: mark1221] [link to this post]

Yes that's right, use the smartphone for the home network. I'm already doing it with a Galaxy S2, but had the dongle first in March 2011 to check out 3G and when it did indeed prove to be faster than ADSL at my home, dumped the ADSL line but also got the S2 later in about May 2011 with unlimited allowance because the dongle has only 15GB/month allowance.

So my next move is probably going to downgrade the dongle to PAYG for emergency use when the two year contract expires in March 2013 and buy a SIM free smartphone which also has 4G and HSPA+ 42 support, then get a "One Plan" SIM card for £25/month which is only about £8.50 more than the Dongle account which only has 15 GB allowance.

------------------------------------------------
ASUS P7P55D-EVO, Intel Core i7 860, 8GB Corsair DDR3, Windows 7x64
Fractal Design R3 Black Case
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Dec-12 14:06:30
Print Post

[re: jsp21c] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jsp21c:
Yes that's right, use the smartphone for the home network. I'm already doing it with a Galaxy S2, but had the dongle first in March 2011 to check out 3G and when it did indeed prove to be faster than ADSL at my home, dumped the ADSL line but also got the S2 later in about May 2011 with unlimited allowance because the dongle has only 15GB/month allowance.

So my next move is probably going to downgrade the dongle to PAYG for emergency use when the two year contract expires in March 2013 and buy a SIM free smartphone which also has 4G and HSPA+ 42 support, then get a "One Plan" SIM card for £25/month which is only about £8.50 more than the Dongle account which only has 15 GB allowance.

My 2 recommendations are the Nexus 4 (which even through I didn't like it is still a wicked phone) or an Iphone 5 (which I have)

31.4mbps right now on the one plan tethered to my PC smile

Edited to say I will do about 200GB this month smile

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 11-Dec-12 14:07:37)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to