General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User samulam
(committed) Wed 19-Dec-12 20:04:21
Print Post

simple question

[link to this post]

I am a complete novice on this topic. Assuming that one requires a sim card to attach to a device like: Huawei, is it possible to transfer my sim card from my mobile phone and connect my mobile phone, laptop etc to it through wifi ? If not why not ?
Standard User Backpack
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 19-Dec-12 21:19:03
Print Post

Re: simple question

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

You mean a MiFi device?

Yes, you can put your phone SIM in one and it will work. You need to check any usage is within your terms and conditions or you might end up with a bill. You won't be able to make calls or send texts though. (except for non cellular network services such as Skype).

If you mean a USB modem then you could plug it into a PC and set up internet connection sharing through it, or there are routers which take a USB 3G dongle.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Dec-12 12:00:07
Print Post

[re: samulam] [link to this post]

If your mobile plan allows you to tether from your mobile using the personal hotspot feature I would advise you to do that to avoid any problems.

Whilst most will allow this with the data included nearly all will block a sim card that is meant to be in a mobile phone and is then put into a mifi device of a dongle.

Every few hours the IMEI number of the device the sim card is in is updated and cross checked with the SIM itself (being a subscriber identity module) and if they don't match a halt can be put on the line. In the case of putting a SIM into a mifi/dongle to use just the date it can be as quick as 30 minutes.

So best to ask your provider for the best answer

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ionic
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Dec-12 14:30:54
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Really? Never seen htat with Vodafone contrat SIMs at least and sounds somewhat draconian!
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Dec-12 14:54:03
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

I admit I have no experience of Vodafone contracts but I know that 3 and a few others do it.
  Print Thread

Jump to