General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Jan-13 17:16:10
Print Post

Laptop with 3G?

[link to this post]

When we visit my mother-in-law we have to take a dongle to get the internet via the mobile network as she doesn't have broadband. It's T-Mobile and usually does the job, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good laptop with 3G internet access built in.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 18-Jan-13 17:39:53
Print Post

Re: Laptop with 3G?

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

The Dell Latitudes have a 3G capability - order it as an option.

The machines are well built and you can spec what you want. They may not be the cheapest but have 3 year warranty on hardware with UK technical support and a full UK based software support service - ideal for the MiL as she calls them not you.

Try looking at some of their others too, they might have 3G capability.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 19-Jan-13 08:30:49
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks - I'll have a look. It's really for my wife and her brother to use while they are visiting, as they tend to stay for a few days at a time. Do you know if a GB enabled 3/4G inbuilt modem would work abroad too? I got a SFR dongle while I was there and it worked very well after a few setup issues.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium 64bit 8GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 19-Jan-13 11:45:34
Print Post

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

No reason why not ... provided there is a 3G network.

The Latitudes have a Magnesium or Mag Alloy Chassis and are ideal for people that travel a lot. They really are sturdy and can be repaired in a large part of the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-13 15:45:33
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
The Latitudes have a Magnesium or Mag Alloy Chassis and are ideal for people that travel a lot. They really are sturdy and can be repaired in a large part of the world.

Lenovo ThinkPad T-series (e.g. T420 and/or T430) are similar, and have 3G options - Titanium chassis.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
  Print Thread

Jump to