General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RST
(committed) Wed 30-Jan-13 15:14:17
Print Post

Worth upgrading to Router and external antenna?

[link to this post]

Currently got a 3 Mifi at our holiday home and although it gets a very good signal the speeds are terrible, was toying with upgrading to a 3g router and external antenna but not sure if this would help at all?

I don't think it's congestion that causes the slow speeds as it's dire even in the early hours but who knows.

For the same cost I could replace it with satellite broadband so it's hard to decide what to do?

RST
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Jan-13 16:23:46
Print Post

Re: Worth upgrading to Router and external antenna?

[re: RST] [link to this post]

External as in outdoors will make a difference if you get the right location, but don't run the signal down a long cable as that will degrade it and lose benefit of the antenna.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/79-wi...
We looked at the WiBE which many swear by and while the HS7 is not made anymore, you might find a bargain one, or the newer HS21.

As in the review I did find it was able to pick up 3G where the phone was not, but in areas where phone struggled to do voice the WiBE was no good. So if you have some 3G now, it may be the answer to higher speeds.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User john_32
(newbie) Fri 01-Feb-13 13:20:41
Print Post

Re: Worth upgrading to Router and external antenna?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Another vote for the WIBE, we have moved to them at work and get a signal where my MiFi gets nothing.

People seem to be upgrading to the HS21 to get faster speeds so you may find some second hand HS7's around as well.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to