General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Hellish
(member) Mon 04-Feb-13 00:09:24
Print Post

Three to offer unlimited 4g at no extra cost

[link to this post]

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/03/threeuk-lte-price...

Must say I am impressed.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Feb-13 12:45:09
Print Post

Re: Three to offer unlimited 4g at no extra cost

[re: Hellish] [link to this post]

Now we just need Three to have indoor coverage...

Really think Three should change back to O2 as their fail-over network where they don't have coverage. Orange's 2G coverage is about the same as Three's own 3G coverage.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Mon 04-Feb-13 13:27:40
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Haven't Three got rid of most (or even all) of the 2G fallback roaming now?

Clearly pricing is only part of the 4G mix - until coverage is available to test, it's impossible to judge which network comes out in the lead for your requirements. I expect Three will be bidding for some of the 800MHz Band V spectrum in the auction in an attempt to improve their in-building coverage.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Feb-13 13:36:53
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Orange 2G fallback is still on in (east) Kent.

Yeah I really hope they get a good chunk of the 800Mhz band. Three need it more than O2 or Vodafone as they already have sub-1Ghz (900Mhz) for indoor coverage.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User undecidedadrian
(regular) Mon 04-Feb-13 13:38:03
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

That is the problem it's about actual coverage over percieved.

I am on Three and my wife is on O2, both of us on 3G yet no matter where we go I get the better coverage on Three than she does with O2.

She is also annoyed with the constant drop outs she gets with O2.

So when her contract is up she is moving to Three.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Feb-13 13:43:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by 5km:

Really think Three should change back to O2 as their fail-over network where they don't have coverage. Orange's 2G coverage is about the same as Three's own 3G coverage.

Orange (now EE)'s 2G coverage is pretty good actually, its just Three turned off the fallback roaming after they'd spent a few billion upgrading the 3G network. Round here we get fantastic Orange and T-Mobile 2G service (1800mhz) and pretty awful O2 and Vodafone (900mhz). Probably because they had to build more transmitters in the 90s they did, and that's helped in the long run.

If Three launch LTE at the 1800mhz frequency (as EE have) this could be good for radio propagation as 1800 is much better than 2100.

The 800 and 2600 frequencies being auctioned at the moment will be interesting to watch as which handsets will support these.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Edited by jchamier (Mon 04-Feb-13 13:43:38)

Standard User olisun
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 05-Feb-13 07:08:24
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

All the LTE handsets with the exception of IP5 support all the 3 frequencies i.e 800, 1800 & 2600 Mhz

Edited by olisun (Tue 05-Feb-13 12:02:09)

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-13 08:54:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Hellish:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/03/threeuk-lte-price...

Must say I am impressed.

Me too.

As one of the first 100 to sign up the day it launched (got my certificate for it too!) and also having an Iphone 5 and Ipad Mini (which has a £10 3GB sim from ebay in it) I am pleased to say that I continue to believe I made the right choice., And this is just the icing on the 4G cake for me smile
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Feb-13 08:55:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by 5km:

I get 5 bars indoors. Mind you I can see the cell from where I am sitting (about 100M away) and it covers a motorway section too
Standard User MadPom
(regular) Tue 05-Feb-13 09:38:02
Print Post

It's an impressive statement and I suspect they made it to stop customers moving away in the short term to EE. By adding LTE handsets to their range in the next month they can also attract customers wanting 4G but not willing to pay EE's rather steep charges.

Having been on Three I also suffered the poor indoors coverage issue, and ended up moving to Giffgaff (O2). It would be nice if Three could gain some 800MHz spectrum to help but I thought LTE was a data-only carrier? Does anyone know if Three will be implementing VoLTE for voice calls? If not then the handset will fall-back to 3G to make/receive calls & texts which will be interesting in an area with data-only coverage. This could leave Three in the position where handsets are used purely for data with messaging via IM clients and VoIP for calls taking revenue away from Three.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to