General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kathanon
(learned) Sun 17-Feb-13 19:36:40
Print Post

Change to mobile broadband for home use

[link to this post]

I live in an area which is nearly 6km from the nearest exchange and we get at best 750kbps down. However there is a three mobile mast near and on my iPad mini I can get up to 8 Mbps so it makes sense to drop BT and connect using three, especially with the planned upgrades to DC HSPDA. However, I would like a full featured modem/router which allows at least one Ethernet connection and can have at least 8 devices connected.

I was looking at the Wibe, but if spending that much money, would like a 4g compatible router in case of future upgrades by three, or another provider in this area.

I wonder if anyone can advise. I have found this one, which seems to be able to work with there's Ultrafast product and 4g and would be really interested in people's views Netcomm 4g router

Thanks in advance
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Feb-13 20:07:30
Print Post

Re: Change to mobile broadband for home use

[re: kathanon] [link to this post]

Look like a good bit of kit but maybe hang fire for the upgrade?

Three put more juice into their rural cells than towns because of the density. I can get 25mbps down and 5mbps up at my parents house in the middle of a field but rarely see more than 9-10 here these days - that's on an Ipad mini which is of course LTE enabled

Also not sure if you saw the announcement but 3 are going to be offering 4G for free with no tariff increases. So maybe a monthly plan now will benefit you? If not then if you go onto ebay you can get 3GB of data on a nano sim for £12 or £10 if you want to cut your own sim down which is a bargain!

Edit:: what about using the ipad itself as a router via the hotspot mode? Just a thought that could save you lots!

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sun 17-Feb-13 20:08:01)

Standard User kathanon
(learned) Sun 17-Feb-13 20:35:16
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Thanks very much. It sounds like your parents' house must be in an area that has already been upgraded, nice speeds there!

I think the router in my post can use DC HSPDA once our local mast is upgraded so hope it will just increase the speed automatically when that happens. Am I right in thinking that? A date of the end of March has been announced by three.

I am using an iPad mini and have got maximum 12mbps upstairs near a window, which after less than 1mbps is fantastic. Mainly I get between 5 and 8 in the rest of the house. I have tried using my iPad as a hotspot, but my thinking is that a router with good antennas near the window would be better. I also need to connect two pcs via Ethernet to it and maybe an extender for the rest of the house. Hopefully it would be a one off purchase which would be good for at least a couple of years.

It is just so good to see a way to get a faster connection. There is money being talked about by the local council and we are trying locally to get some for fibre, but it doesn't look too likely in the near future.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Feb-13 01:53:33
Print Post

[re: kathanon] [link to this post]

Yes it will just use the higher speed and now I see your setup I understand what you are looking for.

I would say get that and get a SIM from ebay for your PAYG data. It's about £5 cheaper so you could just top it up when you wanted if you didn't want to get one from ebay. But I find they come next day.
Standard User iaanhayden
(newbie) Tue 12-Mar-13 05:36:39
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Broadband mentions to a connection bandwidth of at smallest 256 kbit/s.Broadband became a trading buzzword for phone and cable companies to deal their more expensive higher facts and figures rate goods, especially for Internet access.Lot of services provider are there who maintain there service in good manner. So you can go for change.
Standard User LA7
(newbie) Wed 27-Mar-13 10:00:39
Print Post

[re: iaanhayden] [link to this post]

In the next 6 months 3 will lunch 4g usb modems and 4b routers
Standard User jsp21c
(committed) Thu 28-Mar-13 09:36:23
Print Post

[re: LA7] [link to this post]

Re the requirement for Ethernet to two PCs, I'd consider having your 4G router upstairs where the signal is best, then consider buying a reasonably priced wireless router (TP-Link) for the room where your PCs are to run in bridge mode to connect the Wireless network to your Ethernet network.
Maybe consider going all wireless, buy some usb wireless adapters for your PCs and add a range extender if needed on other floors of your house.

------------------------------------------------
ASUS P7P55D-EVO, Intel Core i7 860, 8GB Corsair DDR3, Windows 8x64
Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
Fractal Design R3 Black Case
  Print Thread

Jump to