General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Feb-13 15:01:06
Print Post

3's 4g advertising

[link to this post]

Just seen on the train their ad about giving more g force without the extra expensive. That's got to annoy EE! I couldn't get a pic the windows on the train are reflective so camera couldn't focus

Edit

Sorry I was on the train so couldnt spell things right!

Hang on, I was allowed to edit a post an hour later? handy to know!

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 18-Feb-13 15:51:53)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Feb-13 14:53:13
Print Post

Re: 3's 4g advertising

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Only thing is I don't believe 3 yet have any 4G running...

And you can edit up to 12 hours later AFAIK
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Feb-13 20:32:09
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Only thing is I don't believe 3 yet have any 4G running...

They won't until 12months after EE started - as I believe that was in the negotiation for the transfer of 1800mhz channels from EE to Three. Three are also in the bidding for 800mhz and 2600mhz slots.

I would guess a few months after the bidding closes is the earliest, but all networks are advertising "future 4G" now as they don't want customers running to EE I guess.

Still questions over which handsets will support the three UK / EU freq's for LTE.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Feb-13 22:20:12
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Well the Iphone 5 will I hope!

And the Ipad Mini!
Standard User olisun
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Feb-13 09:24:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Well the Iphone 5 will I hope!

And the Ipad Mini!

The current variant of Iphone 5 only supports 1800Mhz.

All the other LTE phones (Galaxy S3 LTE, Note 2 LTE, Lumia 920, Experia Z, etc) all support the 3 bands (800Mhz, 1800Mhz & 2.6Ghz).
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Feb-13 09:31:51
Print Post

It is actually DC-HSDPA that is ultrafast

I tweeted a picture from the newspaper advert that reveals it is the half way house, if memory s working DC-HSDPA is an up to 42 Mbps technology, so clearly superfast NOT ultrafast

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Feb-13 14:15:05
Print Post

Re: It is actually DC-HSDPA that is ultrafast

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

But often gets similar performance to LTE in real world applications (at least, downstream & latency). There's no definition of 'ultrafast' or 'superfast' anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Feb-13 19:05:03
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

My phone on 3 kicked the [censored] of the Iphone in the EE shop for download but it's upload that 4G wins.
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Feb-13 19:05:54
Print Post

[re: olisun] [link to this post]

SO mine won't work when 3 bring theirs out? I saw the results of the auction today
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Feb-13 19:49:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I tweeted a picture from the newspaper advert that reveals it is the half way house, if memory s working DC-HSDPA is an up to 42 Mbps technology, so clearly superfast NOT ultrafast

In the US my friends, family and work colleagues on Verizon's 4G LTE get speeds between 6 and 12 megabit. Given Verizon's CDMA 3G was limited at a usable max of 1megabit, they're quite impressed. Some people on AT&T LTE have seen 30megabit+ but I'm wondering if they were the only people in the area.

(The CDMA networks in the US had to roll out 4G LTE, as the CDMA 3G had hit the buffers on performance, and its likely they are carefully managing traffic/budgets and will increase speeds over time).

Contrast with Three's HSPA+ service giving 7 to 10megabit generally, and their claimed DC-HSPA when it launches potentially getting upto 20meg. Three's 4G LTE will need to get 30meg+ to be worth switching.

EE's LTE is as shown by the BBC videos running at peaks of 30meg but average around 10meg - I can get 18megabit on my EE (T-mobile tarrif) 3G connection *today* (with 3megabit upload).

Vodafone manages 7meg on a good day in the town centre - but generally struggles to hit 1meg everywhere else. O2 is pretty much capped at 1meg on phone tarrifs. (I've seen 4meg on an iPad). These guys could just hit 10meg on 4G LTE and amaze their customers who haven't seen.

It will all depend on the backhaul capacity per mast and number of simultaneous users - rather like comparing TalkTalk at peak times to Sky or BT. Lots to wait and see.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to