General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ash101
(newbie) Mon 04-Mar-13 11:37:17
Print Post

3's one plan - advice required

[link to this post]

I am first time poster and will admit to not being very techy when it comes to mobile broadband so please be gentle!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S1 and just coming to the end of my one plan contract. I use about 400-500 minutes talktime each month and about 4-5GB data. So the one plan is not really for me anymore. I am thinking of going sim only with 3 as I see no reason to change the phone as it works quite well. I also use the phone for connecting to the internet on my laptop via the Mobile AP in the settings section. I am tempted to go fo the £15.90 price plan per month...however 3 have said I can't connect it to the laptop on this price plan. Is this true?. They have said that as I will be tethering I cannot do this on the £15.90 plan. I'm not convinced by this as there are two seperate options on the S1, one for Mobile AP and one for tethering. For connection to the laptop i use the Mobile AP command via the settings menu as per below

1) Settings
2) Wireless and network
3) Mobile AP

I guess what I am trying to ask can I continue to use the Mobile AP on the £15.90 plan or will it incur additional charges for data usage?.

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Mon 04-Mar-13 20:26:11
Print Post

Re: 3's one plan - advice required

[re: ash101] [link to this post]

These plans do not allow tethering, if you get detected you will be directed to a blocking page, telling you that you are tethering on a plan that doesn't allow it, getting detected seems pretty hit and miss, some say they have been doing it no problems, others say they always get directed to the blocking page as soon as they start. Although 3 seems to have been getting better at detecting it recently.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Mar-13 20:43:05
Print Post

[re: ash101] [link to this post]

I'm on the Essential Internet SIM 200 1 month plan and can not tether:-
Are you using your phone as a modem or personal hotspot?

Reference SIM002
Using your phone as a modem and connecting it to other devices through WiFi or USB to get onto the internet (also called 'tethering'), is not what the plan you're on was designed for. If you would like to speak to someone about tethering options available to you, please call 333 free from your Three phone.

In the meantime if you want to get your phone back to browsing the internet you'll need to turn it off, allow it to reset itself for a few moments, and then turn it on again.

If you're looking for a Mobile Broadband connection, you'll get a better, cheaper and faster experience on one of our Mobile Broadband tariffs or devices. Just go to your nearest 3Store.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:12:21
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
If you're looking for a Mobile Broadband connection, you'll get a better, cheaper and faster experience on one of our Mobile Broadband tariffs or devices. Just go to your nearest 3Store.

They're right - I get 10+meg on my 3 MiFi and only 6meg on a PAYG voice SIM in a Nexus 4.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:22:00
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Seems to work fine with a GiffGaff sim on the £12 unlimited internet plan.

Don't expect to be able to use much data, the more used the slower it'll get...

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:28:31
Print Post

Yes GiffGaff let you tether, but like the O2 network if you see speeds over 3meg you're doing well.

(O2 throttle data on their voice plans, their mobile broadband plans are noticeably quicker - GiffGaff seem to get throttled too according to the forums).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:35:02
Print Post

Yep... an intermittent 3G900 signal here and I live in a city centre.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2550769536.png

Mind you I'm lucky if I get a 3G connection on 3 in my flat, and if I do speed tests it fails because it is so slow. Go outside and I can get 4~6Mbps and that's on the so called Ultrafast network (42Mbps DC-HSDPA).

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:39:00
Print Post

Mind you I'm lucky if I get a 3G connection on 3 in my flat, and if I do speed tests it fails because it is so slow. Go outside and I can get 4~6Mbps and that's on the so called Ultrafast network (42Mbps DC-HSDPA).

I see identical issues on Vodafone, my work SIM and work data card are Voda, and even 3G900 hasn't helped. My Android phone tells me the local mast is 21mbps HSPA+ enabled, but the maximum speed I've ever seen from it is 2megabit. My 3 MiFi (PAYG) gets 10meg, and my T-Mobile (£10/m SIM only) in my iPhone gets 17meg.

You can see why I tell everyone to try every network in their area, as so many people think 3G speeds are the same on all networks!!

Standard User jsp21c
(committed) Tue 05-Mar-13 09:31:05
Print Post

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

I think you can buy a tethering addon for PAYG for about £5 but it only gives you 1GB of tethered allowance.
There is a monthly contract SIM Only 1 Plan which is £25/month, depending on how important tethering is to you that might be the deal to go for.
Personally I don't have a land line, so knocking off £15+ line rental for starters makes a £25/month deal including tethering look pretty attractive.
I used 30 GB last month on the 1 Plan.
Something else to consider is that 3 currently have a HTC Windows Phone 8X HSPA+42 for £26/month on a 2 year contract. It's pretty tempting to have that sitting on my desk providing tethered HSPA+42 speeds at that price, let alone actually use the device for anything else.

------------------------------------------------
ASUS P7P55D-EVO, Intel Core i7 860, 8GB Corsair DDR3, Windows 8x64
Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
Fractal Design R3 Black Case
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Tue 05-Mar-13 12:36:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by jchamier:

Yes GiffGaff let you tether, but like the O2 network if you see speeds over 3meg you're doing well.

(O2 throttle data on their voice plans, their mobile broadband plans are noticeably quicker - GiffGaff seem to get throttled too according to the forums).

GiffGaff dont allow you to tether on unlimited goody bags unless you buy a tether bolton with limited data. if they think you are tethering they will ban your sim from using the internet

Taken from the giffgaff website

Can I tether using the new £10 goodybag with 1GB? Yes you can, once the 1GB allowance runs out you need to have credit to carry on, you will then be charged 2p a MB for the remainder of the goodybag.

Can I tether using the unlimited internet goodybags? In a nutshell, no. These goodybags are solely for mobile use and tethering is not permitted.

Can I tether in any other way? Yes, you can also tether with just airtime credit, which costs 20P for the first 20MB and 20p a MB after for the remainder of the day. You cannot, however, top up credit on top of a goodybag and use that credit for tethering. You need to have no goodybags or gigabags active on your account for this to work. The other way you can tether is to purchase a Gigabag. Gigabags cannot be purchased on top of a live goodybag. You can always purchase a Gigabag and use credit for calls/texts. Once the Gigabag allowance runs out, you will be charged 2p a MB for the remainder of the gigabag, which you will need to pay for with credit.

Why is there no Personal Hotspot feature on an iPhone? This is because giffgaff are not recognised by Apple as a supported carrier for their phones, hence they will not support this feature on the giffgaff network. To get around this, you would need to jailbreak your iPhone.

But I have a live goodybag and I want to tether now, any other ways? Yes you can always activate a new sim on a new account, which means a new username (you cannot activate a sim on an existing account, as it is only one sim per account). You can however use the same personal details for the new account, ie real name, address, email address and card.

Also to the OP three allow tethering on any plan now but you have to pay £5 a month to use this so would take you up to £20.90 the £5 is a rolling bill though so you only have to keep that for 30 days this can be added when you place your order

Hope this helps Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to