General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 25-May-13 12:46:42
Print Post

micro and mini sims

[link to this post]

Ok I have a galaxy S3 on order. however I feel if I use this thing in the street its probably going to be oversized a bit big to hold to head to use for calls. So my plan was to swap the sim to another phone on occasions where I may need to use the phone in public places eg. when I goto the hospital.

However anoher one of thsoe silly inventions the micro sim. So if I get the S3 I need to use the micro sim I just got delivered from O2 (not activated it) but then this wouldnt work in any of my other phones. the O2 website says they send out adaptors with the sims, but I didnt get one, ordered one of amazon. But now i have read these adators can damage sim cards, phones and cause other problems.

the logical solution seems simple, 2 sim cards one number, but seems in this country the mobile telcos dont want to know.

anyone got experience of using these adaptors to use micro sim cards in mini sim card phones?

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-May-13 22:07:13
Print Post

Re: micro and mini sims

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
the logical solution seems simple, 2 sim cards one number, but seems in this country the mobile telcos dont want to know.

Orange did it once when executive cars had phones in that took SIMs. Now modern car phones can read the SIM from a mobile via bluetooth they're no longer required. I believe Orange stopped as the complexities of two SIMs for one number.

anyone got experience of using these adaptors to use micro sim cards in mini sim card phones?

Yes I've used them for years. I currently have a nano SIM (from an iPhone 5) in an iPhone 4 which takes mini SIM. I've also got a mini SIM to fullsize adaptor which works well when I need to use my 4S account in a cheaper handset (e.g an ancient nokia).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 26-May-13 16:55:01
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

so you havent damaged the sim or phone slot using them?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-May-13 11:20:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
so you havent damaged the sim or phone slot using them?

Nope.

The only case I'd be wary is using a SIM cutter to make a nano SIM out of the other sizes, as nano SIMs are apparently thinner than micro and normal. But I think only the iPhone 5 takes nano. So if you get nano SIMs from the networks and adaptors you should be fine.

I used a small bit of tape on the back of the adaptor to insure the SIM can't fall too smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 01-Jun-13 21:23:57
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I ordered a micro sim of O2 so I wont be cutting one out, seems very barbaric to do that laugh

So when the time comes I do a sim swap to the micro sim.

Standard User janitor
(experienced) Sun 02-Jun-13 18:23:30
Print Post

Yep have used them quite a bit, i regularly move my 3 nano sim, between my iphone5, nexus and galaxy, never had any problems, well except the 3 reception round here being hit and miss.
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sun 02-Jun-13 19:09:29
Print Post

how small are your hands?

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
  Print Thread

Jump to