General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Tue 28-May-13 20:43:17
Print Post

Best way to use tethering?

[link to this post]

I am on 3 One Plan with tethering but I never really use it because on both my phones (Nokia 710 and Samsung S3) Tethering goes realy slow i.e max of 5 meg in most places but speedtesting on the phone via app gives a solid 13 meg, I did try at a friends house and got between 5-12 meg tethering but only at his house, at mine and when I have used it in a hotel or caravan I get 5 meg if lucky in fact in a caravan I kept dropping the signal.

Is it better to get a wifi dongle just for when I am away? Or is there another way?
Standard User fearby
(committed) Wed 29-May-13 19:57:25
Print Post

Re: Best way to use tethering?

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

You can tether your mobile phone if you have a smart phone such as an Android phone or iPhone. There are a few routers that can do this available.
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Wed 29-May-13 21:04:37
Print Post

[re: fearby] [link to this post]

Yeah, I know I can tether on my phone but the issue is its so slow and its not the actual connection speed it seems to be a bottleneck somewhere between the phone and pc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Wed 29-May-13 21:19:37
Print Post

The one thing with tethering on my Galaxy nexus on the one plan is that you cannot pick wireless channel, I only get the option to configure SSID etc and to turn it on and off.

I assume that it may be due to possible interferrence from other wireless stuff as well as connection speed from the phone to the mast.

It's a nice feature for when I am out and about or on holiday but not for regular use at home.
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Wed 29-May-13 21:38:54
Print Post

Hello

I got a Samsung s3 mini so the slower phone in the way it connects, never gets over 8 down and 5 up so about your problem I don't know as I wont go that fast and only had 6 weeks and used one 3 weeks ago in the caravan with the laptop so similar to you I guess.

Might be this. half way down.

http://support.three.co.uk/srvs/cgi-bin/webisapi.dll...

Slows maybe between 3pm and midnight.

I got this and works in the caravan as the normal tethering built into the phone did not and much as you like data plan.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi

Will do the thing you want on the Samsung as android, looking at the photo of nokia, windows phone by the looks of it so not sure what to use.

Get the foxfi freebee on and try then go to the paid fiver version with the licence.

What I did there and then on holiday, worked so paid to get the full version and job done. Not saying the slower tethering will be fixed but try the freebee, worth a go.

Does the Samsung or nokia I don't know about run at full speed using USB lead tethering. the foxfi mentions it can do that or can you without that program to prove a point, might be a wireless thing like person mentioned above.
  Print Thread

Jump to