General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Turrican
(newbie) Sat 08-Jun-13 16:51:56
Print Post

Three One Plan and Teathering experiment

[link to this post]

Hi all

I thought I might just share my experience trying to use Three as a land line BB replacement. It don't work.

I am trying it on a Sony Xperia SP, plugged in to an Asus RT-N66U with USB tethering. While it blows my o2 (Sky?) BB out the water in some online speed tests, it is just too flaky. Bear in mind the mast is line of sight some 200 mtrs away from my house. When listening to the Lounge (Pure radios) it works for a bit then chops up. Same for my Philips internet radio, it played Radio 2 for 30 minutes then started buffering, then just stopping. My SoundBridge did the same to ABC Perth, just stopping then starting again.
BBC Iplayer was an enigma, the iPlayer speed tests all passed (7700) but come live streaming all we had was stuttering, the message saying not enough bandwidth.
The Speedtest .net results were around 19-23mbps download and 3 mbps upload.

All I wanted to do was find middle ground so as to ditch Sky, get a speed increase and when 4G gets rolled out on Three, be closer to the speed of fibre.

Anyone else found similar problems like this?

Luckly I am on a one month rolling sim only deal so I can cancel when I want.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 08-Jun-13 17:23:21
Print Post

Re: Three One Plan and Teathering experiment

[re: Turrican] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Turrican:
Hi all

I thought I might just share my experience trying to use Three as a land line BB replacement. It don't work.

I am trying it on a Sony Xperia SP, plugged in to an Asus RT-N66U with USB tethering. While it blows my o2 (Sky?) BB out the water in some online speed tests, it is just too flaky. Bear in mind the mast is line of sight some 200 mtrs away from my house. When listening to the Lounge (Pure radios) it works for a bit then chops up. Same for my Philips internet radio, it played Radio 2 for 30 minutes then started buffering, then just stopping. My SoundBridge did the same to ABC Perth, just stopping then starting again.
BBC Iplayer was an enigma, the iPlayer speed tests all passed (7700) but come live streaming all we had was stuttering, the message saying not enough bandwidth.
The Speedtest .net results were around 19-23mbps download and 3 mbps upload.

All I wanted to do was find middle ground so as to ditch Sky, get a speed increase and when 4G gets rolled out on Three, be closer to the speed of fibre.

Anyone else found similar problems like this?

Luckly I am on a one month rolling sim only deal so I can cancel when I want.

when the gas board chopped into the main underground cable to my phone pole and cut half the streets BB/phone off i used my three one plan to tether to my PC for the 3 days it took to get the landlines fixed and it worked flawlessly with netflix general browsing and even world of warcraft game play even hosted a server on it for L4D2 and it had better latency than my m8's ADSL connection i was using wifi tethering direct from the phone to my PC and my mums pc connected but not permanently
maybe its something to do with sharing via a router have you tried using just wifi tethering direct from the phone?

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Standard User Turrican
(newbie) Sat 08-Jun-13 17:33:39
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Hi Ash

I have not tried WiFi tethering yet, but the router and USB I thought should have been rock solid. It's something I need to try though before condemning it I guess....good point Ash.
I need to then in that case, connect the WiFi tethering on the phone to an Access Point that then shares it's internet connection over the home WiFi and wired network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Sat 08-Jun-13 17:37:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Turrican:
Hi Ash

I have not tried WiFi tethering yet, but the router and USB I thought should have been rock solid. It's something I need to try though before condemning it I guess....good point Ash.
I need to then in that case, connect the WiFi tethering on the phone to an Access Point that then shares it's internet connection over the home WiFi and wired network.

id of also thought it would of worked good too i use a dlink router and a dongle and it works fine but as you say it just rules things out

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Jun-13 11:43:27
Print Post

I used my iphone as a modem for over a month doing 160GB down and 32GB up. Worked like a charm!

Can't wait for FREE 4G for 3! <-- EE customers vomit over that lol

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sun 09-Jun-13 11:43:44)

(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Jun-13 11:44:30
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

This Tp-link I have can take a USB dongle but 3 would spit their dummy if someone put a voice sim in a dongle.

SO can't try it :/
Standard User undecidedadrian
(member) Sun 09-Jun-13 12:24:35
Print Post

I went on Holiday and the hotels wi-fi ground to a halt and I moved onto my phone tether.

All weekend I was watching TV off my slingbox, iplayer etc via wireless onto my netbook and no problems.

I used something like 100 gigabytes in 3 days.

The only gripe I have with my phone is that the wireless tether doesn't allow me to select the channel and I am wondering that if there is wireless interferrence pops up you have to compete with it or the tether drops the connection changes channel and start again.

I have had no problems with the USB tether when I needed to use it.
(knowledge is power) Sun 09-Jun-13 17:38:17
Print Post

Three's tethering on the one plan has been stress tested to 750GB by a magazine and Three didn't know and also didn't complain
Standard User Turrican
(newbie) Sun 09-Jun-13 17:52:54
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Well, it is not a viable solution sadly for me.

I have tried again on the Asus router after messing around with the QoS settings (should not have even had to do that) Still bad.

Tried WiFi hotspot, and speeds were terrible

Lastly tried direct USB tether to laptop and still poor speed, not enough for BBC HD streaming.

So, will have to wait 100 years for fibre in my area then.
Standard User jsp21c
(committed) Sun 09-Jun-13 18:29:19
Print Post

Interesting that your Asus router tethered via USB at all.
I just had a quick go on my TP-Link MR3420 and although it was charging the Galaxy S2 there wasn't any Internet connection passed through.

Personally I have replaced my land line with 3G and it works well for me however I have the phone close to hand on my desk and restart the data connection or hotspot several times a day if the connection stalls. Supplying an Internet connection from a 3G/4G phone to a whole networked house is more of a challenge.

BTW, check this wild speedtest from yesterday using the S4 as a hotspot. I couldn't reproduce it again in order to record the screen. I've seen it in to 30s before but this was the first time in the 50s.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2760880755.png

------------------------------------------------
ASUS P7P55D-EVO, Intel Core i7 860, 8GB Corsair DDR3, Windows 8x64
Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
Fractal Design R3 Black Case
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to