General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User madcap42
(newbie) Fri 14-Jun-13 07:59:25
Print Post

is high pings bad?

[link to this post]

Hi, i have just switched from bt fixed line where i was getting 12-13 mbps download and 0.91-0.95 upload ping 10-20 ms, i am now tethering with the 3 network with a apple i5 which is capable of 4g when it comes along the speed are between 15mbps - 23mbps download and 2.32 - 3.01 mbps upload, BUT my ping is quite high about 60 but have seen go as low as 45 and high as 100, is this bad for gaming?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Jun-13 08:18:59
Print Post

Re: is high pings bad?

[re: madcap42] [link to this post]

If it is a nice consistent 60 then you will get used to it, but generally the lower the better.

What is worst is if it is very variable

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User madcap42
(newbie) Fri 14-Jun-13 08:23:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

yes it is variable very but speeds are usually consistant atleast over 15mbps download, what doesa it mean when the ping varies?

Edited by madcap42 (Fri 14-Jun-13 08:24:53)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User drummerjohn
(member) Fri 14-Jun-13 08:54:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

3G\4G should never be used for gaming. The variability of latency on those products can make online gaming impossible. If you try and host a game (ie COD) people will leave as they will not tolerate the horrendous lagging\warping etc.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Jun-13 09:10:49
Print Post

As dummerjohn mentions you will find that the experience is variable.

Online gaming, e.g. CoD, Battlefield rely on stable reasonably low pings. The speeds required to actually play a game are actually very low .25 Mbps in both directions will be enough.

With a ping of 10ms you get better hit detection and a smoother experience, with a variable ping you will die sometimes even though you had ducked, or worse you will see people jump across the screen

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Jun-13 09:26:22
Print Post

What games? If it is MMOs then probably OK (although you can get major ping spikes that cause disconnects). If it is facebook games then fine. Turn based games fine. Frist person shooters - not good with variable/high latency.
  Print Thread

Jump to