General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bosie
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Jun-13 13:32:39
Print Post

EE Mobile Broadband

[link to this post]

Hi, does anyone know if EE 4G use image compression? I can turn off compression with my O2 MiFi and 3 doesn't compress anyway. I'm looking to get a 4G MiFi but not if EE compress.

Thank you

bosie
Standard User bosie
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Jun-13 21:10:08
Print Post

Re: EE Mobile Broadband

[re: bosie] [link to this post]

With some reassurance about image compression here:
EE Community Forums

I tootled off to the EE store next to bond street tube which on a Saturday was pretty chaotic as you'd expect. It felt like ages while the chap serving typed all my details into the computer for the 30 day 8GB £25.99 contract plus £69 upfront charge for the MiFi. Eventually he said my debit card was not being recognised by the system and asked for another card so I gave him my Barclaycard instead. After another lengthy wait watching this chap fight with the system this time to recognise my address the computer finally declined based on a credit check. I thought this was strange as I regularly check my credit files with Equifax and Experian and known them to be excellent. I left the store feeling somewhat bemused and popped across to Selfridges where I tried to purchase a cream for my mum but the card was again declined. I was now feeling quite worried at my apparent financial state of affairs so I dug-out the mobile to call Barclays and noticed several missed calls from them. It turns out Barclaycard had suspected fraud after EE had put through 30 requests each for £2 but, all of which will be charged back to EE - and I finally got to purchase my mum's cream. I returned to the chap in the store who insisted he charged me only once as required by the system. When I reached home I had another call this time from Barclays debit card team who had noticed 15 claims by EE for another £2 each bringing the total to £90 for the privilege of today's experience. Fortunately these will also be charged back to EE. I then went online to check my latest credit report and was quite relieved to find the scores from both companies had not deteriorated from excellent. I called EE sales who requested a copy of the credit reports which I have emailed across. At this point I'm not sure I want to join them but I would like to find out why my credit score is an issue when it appears to be just fine - could having a number of accounts with O2 and 3 be the problem?

bosie

Edited by bosie (Sat 15-Jun-13 21:11:19)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Jun-13 23:49:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by bosie:
Hi, does anyone know if EE 4G use image compression? I can turn off compression with my O2 MiFi and 3 doesn't compress anyway. I'm looking to get a 4G MiFi but not if EE compress.

No idea about EE, but T-Mobile has a control page - http://accelerator.t-mobile.co.uk - which lets you turn off image compression.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bosie
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 16-Jun-13 00:10:07
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I wonder if we'll ever see the day where it's off by default? Good to know about T-mobile.

bosie
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jun-13 09:45:39
Print Post

In short - Nope we don't compress images over 4G

Paul
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-13 21:58:40
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bookey:

Good to know. I read that Orange never did, only T-Mobile and they offered the 'accelerator' years ago, I was on an old MDA2 handset (Windows Mobile 6.x). smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Jun-13 11:35:05
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bookey:

You just don't give customers the right speeds until they have been with you for 6 months.

And before you deny it I have that in writing from the EE office in Bristol!

It was the reason (as I posted on here) I could not get any more than 8.24mbps no matter where in the region I was!
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Jun-13 11:37:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by bosie:
With some reassurance about image compression here:
EE Community Forums

I tootled off to the EE store next to bond street tube which on a Saturday was pretty chaotic as you'd expect. It felt like ages while the chap serving typed all my details into the computer for the 30 day 8GB £25.99 contract plus £69 upfront charge for the MiFi. Eventually he said my debit card was not being recognised by the system and asked for another card so I gave him my Barclaycard instead. After another lengthy wait watching this chap fight with the system this time to recognise my address the computer finally declined based on a credit check. I thought this was strange as I regularly check my credit files with Equifax and Experian and known them to be excellent. I left the store feeling somewhat bemused and popped across to Selfridges where I tried to purchase a cream for my mum but the card was again declined. I was now feeling quite worried at my apparent financial state of affairs so I dug-out the mobile to call Barclays and noticed several missed calls from them. It turns out Barclaycard had suspected fraud after EE had put through 30 requests each for £2 but, all of which will be charged back to EE - and I finally got to purchase my mum's cream. I returned to the chap in the store who insisted he charged me only once as required by the system. When I reached home I had another call this time from Barclays debit card team who had noticed 15 claims by EE for another £2 each bringing the total to £90 for the privilege of today's experience. Fortunately these will also be charged back to EE. I then went online to check my latest credit report and was quite relieved to find the scores from both companies had not deteriorated from excellent. I called EE sales who requested a copy of the credit reports which I have emailed across. At this point I'm not sure I want to join them but I would like to find out why my credit score is an issue when it appears to be just fine - could having a number of accounts with O2 and 3 be the problem?

No, you could have a million accounts if your credit score is high then you would be fine. It's multiple applications in a set period (6 months) that messes it up

Just remember you won't get your full speed until you've been with them 6 months (see my other post)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 21-Jun-13 18:36:09
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
You just don't give customers the right speeds until they have been with you for 6 months.

That's pretty shoddy practice.

Sounds like something The Register would be interested in, or PC Pro magazine.

(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Jun-13 18:22:12
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
In reply to a post by pcoventry76:

That's pretty shoddy practice.

Sounds like something The Register would be interested in, or PC Pro magazine.

Maybe, but I want to see if others experience it first. and I am sure there are plenty. I'm asking on other forums also

One person said my area was over subscribed. They must have had a massive take up in the 2 days it was live, so I don't believe that. I also went to London, Newport, Bristol and Sheffield on my travels and all gave me bang on 8.24mbps down and about 21 up.

No matter what I did and where I went all I got was this.

https://imageshack.us/a/img341/7716/s5gm.png

They tried to blame my Iphone 5 so I tried the sim in my Ipad mini and I got the same. "excellent upload" I hear you say - yes! BUT at that point EE had NO tethering profile so that upload speed was useless. I did the same test in 3 EE stores (infront of 3 members of staff)out of the 4 places I stayed and no one for one second suggested it could be an account setting. (I did but it was dismissed)

I was told that it will all be okay in the EE stores as they have " in store boosters" Newport had no idea what that was - Bristol at the time couldn't even get 4G because they are indoors!

On the very say day I took this screenshot from my Three sim in the same Iphone.. Just to prove a point.. Both screenshots were in the middle of Newport.

https://imageshack.us/a/img5/9128/rvq.png

Enough said!..

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 22-Jun-13 18:28:21)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to