General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Tue 17-Sep-13 21:55:42
Print Post

Use my contract phone sim on mifi and redirect calls?

[link to this post]

First off I have set up the mifi and it works but when I put the sim back in I get missed calls and texts.

I only want to use the mifi for travelling as the battery lasts most of the day and when using on phone it lasts a hour or two before draining the battery so not good if on a train.

Can I redirect my calls at least(maybe not the texts) to my PAYG phone whilst I am travelling just in case I get an important call?
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Sep-13 22:15:09
Print Post

Re: Use my contract phone sim on mifi and redirect calls?

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

Yes that's possible. Other alternative would be to take your charger. As all mainline and long distance trains have power sockets these days.

"Virgin Media - The only company I've ever dealt with who can end a complaint call trying to sell a Mobile "
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 18-Sep-13 03:13:19
Print Post

I didn't realise 3 allowed this, it wouldn't surprise me if 3 caught onto this? I've definitely heard it shouldn't work before by posters on here.

Glad to hear you've got it going though.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Wed 18-Sep-13 09:32:52
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

All I needed to do was change from the mobile broadband apn to the mobile phone one.

But I am on the One Plan with tethering included so maybe thats why as my old contract sim did not have tethering and I could not access the internet on my S3
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Sep-13 12:37:49
Print Post

Hardy is right. It's in the 3's T & C's if they catch someone using a voice sim in a data dongle /mifi they will ban it. It used to be automatic within an hour but they now let someone foul up a few times and then ban them

So you could well be risking it.

"Virgin Media - The only company I've ever dealt with who can end a complaint call trying to sell a Mobile "
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Sep-13 13:02:12
Print Post

One plan sim in 3 mifi - worse than my phone but then again it is only HSPA or whatever the first one was

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2974668022

Odd thing though. My account does not seem to work on the website as I haven't used this sim for about 9 months but my Sim is active and data is flowing - Rock on!

Samba claim to have given away 24 Terabytes on their website? I assume that's what 24,976,086 is?

If so that's a hell of a lot or just over a year since they launched!

Edited by pcoventry76 (Wed 18-Sep-13 13:12:35)

Standard User jsp21c
(committed) Sat 21-Sep-13 13:23:39
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Yes putting your phone sim in a mifi is against T&Cs, so your valuable data and calls could come to an unfortunate end rather suddenly.
I bought a PowerGen mobile battery from Amazon for under £30 which is pocket size and will provide at least 4 full charges to my Smartphone, it's also a great emergency power source during powercuts.

Keep the sim in your smartphone, tether to it and still get all your important calls too by having an external mobile battery.

------------------------------------------------
ASUS P7P55D-EVO, Intel Core i7 860, 8GB Corsair DDR3, Windows 8x64
Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
Fractal Design R3 Black Case
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Sep-13 15:06:50
Print Post

[re: jsp21c] [link to this post]

Or plug it in..

I agree with the power pack. I have a 20,000Mah one I got from china which fits in my coat pocket and like yours does about 4-6 charges.

Dam good piece of kit.

"
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 21-Sep-13 16:30:49
Print Post

[re: jsp21c] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jsp21c:
Keep the sim in your smartphone, tether to it and still get all your important calls too by having an external mobile battery.

But if you really want fast data, get a PAYG data only SIM as these have priority on the network and I don't see any Traffic Sense effects (at least around here).
A friend of mine has just bought an iPad on contract with 3 and he reckons his 15GB of usage a month is less than £10/m value - although he has to pay the 24month contract.
(he's mad, there are likely to be new iPads next month!).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
(knowledge is power) Sat 21-Sep-13 17:14:32
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yes and it's literally 1800 only - like mine is. frown so 3 or EE it is.

"
  Print Thread

Jump to