General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Oct-13 16:03:15
Print Post

One Plan SIM in 3G router

[link to this post]

I'm interested to know if a Three One Plan SIM will work in a 3G router giving access to the all-you-can-eat-data?

I know people manage to do this with a tethered phone but is it possible to have a 3G router pretend to be a tethered phone?

Anyone know the APN for tethering? Is it three.co.uk or 3internet or something else?

Thanks.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 08:12:29
Print Post

Re: One Plan SIM in 3G router

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

As far as I know it is a phone plan - it may work in a router but if they realise then they will cut it off as breaking the terms of service. They have specific plans for routers. This is primarily because they expect people to use more data when in a router than in a phone and so don't offer unlimited for these devices.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 08:24:32
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Shame they don't offer more than 15GB on mobile broadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 08:38:12
Print Post

I think it is just cost prohibitive for them. 3G networks aren't designed for that much data usage. You might get away with a one plan but it is against terms. You can buy more at 10.2p / MB but as that is £102 per GB that is probably not a particularly attractive option.

Or I suppose buy multiple SIMS and swap them when the data runs out. Depends how much data you are looking to shift in a month.
Standard User Mitchy_mitch
(experienced) Mon 07-Oct-13 11:04:59
Print Post

I was thinking of doing the same. I also found a quite informative thread on here regarding this, but i cannot find it now. I just searched for 3 sim router but found nothing.

I was considering this as i still am unable to get fttc. my family use about 90Gb a month, which is too much data to use satellite broadband. I can see that a local company cotswold wireless have a 4g data tariff, but it is a tied in 2 year contract with quite a hefty installation fee.

I was thinking of buying my own 3g/4g receiver and installing it to some T&K brackets on placing it on the outside of my home, with a cable going into the router. Something like this ---> eBay item number: 271262303698.

I was thinking of having two tariffs at home, maybe keep my current broadband provider BT (i moved to them to get bt sport for free. I moved from sky, but my upload with BT is 448, whereas i had about 800k with sky) I think i may move back and attempt to get out of the contract with the upcoming price increase option. Anyway, i digress. So, i need an unlimited adsl line and another option with a decent upload and a fair amount of data for a decent price. My current adsl speeds is 4mb down & 448 up. My speeds with 3 mobile broadband in my iphone is 4Mb down and bout 1.5Mb up indoors downstairs. About 8-12Mb down and 2Mb up when upstairs. So hopefully when 4G is rolled out to my area next year, i was hoping that i would be able to use a sim and a wireless router. A 2 minute walk as the crow flies from my home i get over 20Mb speeds with 3.

I hope my local mast gets 4G. I am surrounded by fast broadband, but i just unfortunately cannot get any of it in my home.

Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 11:57:31
Print Post

It is specifically against the terms and conditions to use a Phone Plan SIM in a dongle, MiFi or other "tethering" device. It's also against the terms to use a One Plan SIM in a Laptop, Tablet and so on.

It's OK to use it in a phone and then tether it to any of the other stuff.

If you do put the SIM in a MiFi or whatever, don't expect to get away with it - 3 have fairly aggressive tech monitoring for that kind of thing and sooner/later they will bin you, blacklist you and so on. They're the most proactive in detecting usage that is against terms of any network.
Standard User jsp21c
(committed) Tue 08-Oct-13 11:48:03
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Consider keeping an eye on the 3 website for a good deal with a 4G capable phone on the One Plan with AYCE data and tethering. Put the phone upstairs where it's getting the best speeds and get a wireless repeater to boost the signal around your home...... maybe something from TP-Link for not too much cash.
You need to look upon the phone as it being your wireless internet router.
A while ago 3 had Windows phones on the One Plan for £25/month and they currently have a 4G compatible Huawei Ascend P2 running Android for £26/month on the One Plan which could legitimately supply all the bandwidth and tethering you require.

------------------------------------------------
ASUS P7P55D-EVO, Intel Core i7 860, 8GB Corsair DDR3, Windows 8x64
Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
Fractal Design R3 Black Case
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Oct-13 03:02:49
Print Post

[re: jsp21c] [link to this post]

Yes, exactly, alternatively you could connect the phone via USB to a computer then share it out via ethernet to a access point or switch. That would probably give you the best possible speeds.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Oct-13 21:43:59
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

Thing is I don't want to use a phone. I'm using a mini-PCIe modem and external high gain directional antenna... That's what is needed in some places where the signal is just too low for USB dongle inside the house.

Going to try an 18km link to get EE 4G from "the closest" mast ... which will be interesting and kind of cool if it works.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 09-Oct-13 22:15:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by 5km:
Going to try an 18km link to get EE 4G from "the closest" mast ... which will be interesting and kind of cool if it works.

Yes, that sounds interesting! 1800mhz should be slightly easier to obtain than 2100mhz, plus 4G (LTE) doesn't do the cell-breathing that adjusts the 3G (UMTS) cell site size/power output.

You might need to wait for O2 or Vodafone to arrive with their 800mhz 4G services however at that distance. At least EE will sell you a 4G data SIM for £20 and you can get Huawei MiFi units that support all the bands on eBay for ~£130 that have micro SMA sockets for antenna.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to