General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Wed 16-Oct-13 17:10:38
Print Post

Three throttling question

[link to this post]

I know they throttle but wondered exactly how they did it.

Game updates via P2P seem ok but anything else seems to work by letting me download but taking a little away from whomever I am seeding or leeching from i.e if I tried a very well seeded torrent I could easily max out the current speed but if I tried something with few seeds it will struggle to get even 1 meg or goes between say 1 meg to 2 meg to dial up when landline will max out the speed but has the odd speed drop depending on the seeds but it seems strange how landline can max out fast and the 3 connection maxes out direct download but not P2P

Finally this occurs 24/7 so a good seeded file can still max out no matter the time of day but still needs more seeds than one downloaded by landline.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Oct-13 19:34:19
Print Post

Re: Three throttling question

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

because the anything else is naughty? But the game updates are on the whitelist?

When it comes to P2P my view is that anything to stop it is a bonus. So I have no other comments but I smile and thank 3 for protecting us other customers.

"
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Oct-13 19:53:53
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
because the anything else is naughty? But the game updates are on the whitelist?

Attempting to inspect file names for their legality is in itself legally questionable. Potentially the P2P game updates use well known ports or there's another clue in the protocol.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Wed 16-Oct-13 22:50:57
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Some games use P2P as updates or software releases or even legal sites use P2P to save bandwith

P2P does not automatically mean something is illegal.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Oct-13 23:13:00
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

The Kitten should contact 3 and tell them what protocols are being used if there's nothing to worry about 3 might help them.

You yourself have said in the past P2P is mainly illegal. Unless I misunderstood?

"
  Print Thread

Jump to