General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cwaite
(newbie) Sun 08-Dec-13 13:26:44
Print Post

EE 4g as an alternative to ADSL or Fibre?

[link to this post]

Just wondering is anyone using 4g on a full time basis as a replacement for ADSL or Fibre for an office? I know that EE has a maximum usage allowance of 50gb per month, but just wondered if it's reliable enough to use instead of ADSL or Fibre?

The reason I am asking is that ai am helping a company move from their current premises that has a good fibre connection of 60mbs to a new premises that cannot have fibre and the ADSL speed is only 3mbs max, they have talked about bonding 4 Adsl lines but this would be very expensive for a maximum of 12mbs, Satellite broadband has a high ping rate and I understand whilst it's fast for downloading it can be sluggish to load webpages also don't think the site owner would agree to having a dish fitted. The office has 5 connected computers and most of the work will be filling out forms on websites.

The company owner has tried out the internet on a neighbouring company that has 12mbs using 4 bonded lines but thinks this is too slow for his needs.

The site has good 4g coverage according to EE so one option I was thinking of would be to buy an Asus RT-N66u router and plug an EE mobile bob dongle in it and use the 4g backup on a full time basis, is anyone doing this at present and has it been a good alternative?

The site is next to an airport is there any chance the radar or radio equipment at the airport could have an impact on 4g.

Thanks in advance
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Dec-13 18:23:17
Print Post

Re: EE 4g as an alternative to ADSL or Fibre?

[re: cwaite] [link to this post]

Have you looked into getting a leased line installed? If there are other companies in the area you can get a shared service (physically shared - logically separate) and the costs might work out quite low.

At my last job we had an office in a converted barnyard a couple of miles outside a town. Us and three other companies had a 40Mb/s leased line installed. Each of us got a guaranteed 10Mb/s with ability to burst up to whatever was spare at the time. It worked out at £4k install and £230 pcm. We could have gone up to 100Mb/s in total and IIRC would have meant no install costs and around £400 pcm.

If you haven't already looked into it you should. BT will run a fibre almost anywhere for a leased line. Last year they had a deal which meant a brownfield site (which ours was) was a flat £1,000 and sometimes they waive the charge if they feel you are helping them extend their local loop. You don't have to go direct to BT (and it's probably cheaper not to). There are plenty of companies will take care of it for you.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Sun 08-Dec-13 18:25:31)

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Dec-13 18:46:52
Print Post

You've been looking at the residential packages. EE for business has packages available with up-to 128GB at £160pcm.

If there has ever been fibre to building before (for ISDN30 or passing very near) with underground ducting there should be no excess install cost for a leased line.

Radar will not affect 4G ... radar and 4G use different frequencies.

Where in the UK are you?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Dec-13 10:33:04
Print Post

As a generalised comment, be cautious about whether the Mobile Phone Service supports "Tethering", or are you going for a specific Mobile-Data Package?

Surprisingly, some Mobile Phone Contracts (despite suggesting that you have an unlimited, or relatively high usage allowance) do not support "Tethering" - i.e. using your Mobile as a "Modem", rather than using the Data within the Mobile.

Regards,
John
Standard User briansaab
(newbie) Mon 09-Dec-13 12:15:08
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
be cautious about whether the Mobile Phone Service supports "Tethering" ....some Mobile Phone Contracts (despite suggesting that you have an unlimited, or relatively high usage allowance) do not support "Tethering" - i.e. using your Mobile as a "Modem", rather than using the Data within the Mobile.

I had a conversation with 3 on Friday morning, they were offering me an "All you can eat Data" Sim Only for £15 per month. They were pushing the "you can tether" aspect. It may have only been because I was asking for a PAC code but might be worth exploring if my other post does not prove fruitful
Standard User briansaab
(newbie) Mon 09-Dec-13 12:24:37
Print Post

If you are in one the listed cities for this one then might be worth a look:-

Ten Cities to Share £100M

I see Andrew Ferguson has included it within Broadband News:-

Super Connected City Vouchers now available in ten cities
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 09-Dec-13 12:30:27
Print Post

[re: briansaab] [link to this post]

Routers that have specific 4G antenna and can take a SIM are more common now.

I would have expected these to be more reliable than the USB dongle as an add on to a router affair.

I would also urge keeping some other type of connectivity as a backup, as all too easy for the local cell tower to go offline for some reason, and if a business is relying on it 100% that could be an expensive day or two.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Dec-13 12:58:35
Print Post

[re: briansaab] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by briansaab:
In reply to a post by johnjburness:
be cautious about whether the Mobile Phone Service supports "Tethering" ....some Mobile Phone Contracts (despite suggesting that you have an unlimited, or relatively high usage allowance) do not support "Tethering" - i.e. using your Mobile as a "Modem", rather than using the Data within the Mobile.

I had a conversation with 3 on Friday morning, they were offering me an "All you can eat Data" Sim Only for £15 per month. They were pushing the "you can tether" aspect. It may have only been because I was asking for a PAC code but might be worth exploring if my other post does not prove fruitful

The 3 T&Cs can be a bit confusing on that aspect:-
Terms & Conditions.
> All-you-can-eat data - Explained

All you can eat data allows you to use as much as the Internet or consumer as much data as you wish without worrying about the cost or having to search for hidden and unfair “fair use policies”.

If your smartphone plan includes all you can eat data, then this is for data consumption actually on your smartphone. It does not include using your smartphone as a modem to connect other devices such as laptops and tablets – also known as “Tethering”. Tethering is included in (i) The One Plan; (ii) the One Plan SIM only; or (iii) By purchasing an Ultimate Internet Plan with the Tethering Add on. The add-on can be purchased via My3 on your handset and is also available to customers on our Talk and Text plans.

Are you an existing customer on any of our pay monthly plans (except our Essential Internet 200 plan)? You can get All You Can Eat Data for the remainder of your contract at an additional cost of £3 per month.

Does all you can eat data come with any limits? The limit is how much your device can consume – if you were to actively use data or the Internet on your phone every second, of every day, in every month (and we would be worried if you were !!!!) you would, subject to the current traffic management requirements (which vary from time to time), use up to 1000GB per month. So in essence there is a limit of how much data you can actually consume which is up to 1000GB. All this means that you can have absolute peace of mind and enjoy all the internet you need on your smartphone, without worrying.

Because the £15 SIM Only deal is also known as "The One Plan" (which includes "All-you-can-eat"), you are covered - however there are other "All-you-can-eat" Plans which do NOT appear to be covered!

Regards,
John
Standard User cwaite
(newbie) Tue 10-Dec-13 13:32:15
Print Post

Thanks for all of your replies

BT wanted £500pm for a 40mb leased line which is just too much to pay for a small office.

As no-one else has posted any experiences running an office on 4g full time I would not want to risk it.Have decided to give Eclipse bonded lines a try, its obviously not that fast but this seems to be probably the best option to suit the buget.

If anyone does setup a full time office on 4g in the future would be good to know if it works out just as reliable as copper based broadband.

Thanks again.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 10-Dec-13 19:13:06
Print Post

Beyond BT generally not being the cheapest, a leased line will usually have guaranteed contention levels, which is a big reason why it costs more to rent compared to a 40 Mbps FTTC based service.

4G is nice but unless they will guarantee you bandwidth running a business off it would be like driving around without a fuel gauge in your delivery van.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to