General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Jan-14 16:35:23
Print Post

HD Voice

[link to this post]

One of my mates on 3 just upgraded to a 5S and when I phone her it's definitely HD voice. It's brilliantly clear.

I know EE support it too but I haven't noticed it when calling people I know are on a 5/5S/5C. Does it work across networks, or is just in the same network?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jan-14 18:14:01
Print Post

Re: HD Voice

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mr_mojo:
Does it work across networks, or is just in the same network?

Sadly only same network. Only EE and Three support it, and Three's signal box doesn't. Sadly no HD voice link between EE and Three. (For this case EE/Orange/T-Mobile is one network)

Vodafone and O2 have apparently said that when they enable voice over 4G (VoLTE) then this will have the same clarity (AWB codec) as HD voice over 3G. (I suspect they don't have the 3G capacity to turn it on!).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User fiddler
(member) Fri 24-Jan-14 18:55:40
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Isn't this just the 5s noise cancellation working well?

Regards,

Rob

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Jan-14 21:03:25
Print Post

[re: fiddler] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by fiddler:
Isn't this just the 5s noise cancellation working well?

No - but that does work well itself, especially if you're in a busy street.

The 5 and 5s and 5c all support HD voice as long as the other person on the call is on the same network and has a handset that supports HD voice.

You can get similar clarity by using Facetime Audio on a 5 , 5s, 5c, using WiFi.

When you hear it the first time you go "wow", and when the other end drops from 3G to 2G and you get the ordinary back again you feel very disappointed. Its bizarre!

(Non iPhone O2 and Vodafone customers can't even try this, as Skype doesn't use the high bandwidth codec sadly, but I don't know about Google Hangouts).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Edited by jchamier (Fri 24-Jan-14 21:05:08)

Standard User fiddler
(member) Sat 25-Jan-14 09:47:18
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks - good to know.

Regards,

Rob
  Print Thread

Jump to