General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User athegn
(committed) Fri 04-Apr-14 18:03:15
Print Post

02 sim only

[link to this post]

Current position. Galaxy S2 phone on 02 contract which expires in June. Home broadband BT Infinty with 18 months to run. Virgin Tv package.

Need sim only contract from June; will keep phone for at least one more year.

Little use of minutes and text but can use over 300MB data per month and must have tethering for tablet.

I find that 02 mobile is in most places I visit and even if not e.g. tube stations, then Virgin tie up is. Also FON from my BT Infinity often fills the gaps.

02 do a sim only for £14 per month with 500MB data. Cannot find any mention of tethering in T & Cs so assume like my current contract?

Looks like the deal I need, provided tethering is allowed like my current contract.

Any views on tethering or a better deal?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Apr-14 23:18:29
Print Post

Re: 02 sim only

[re: athegn] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by athegn:
02 do a sim only for £14 per month with 500MB data.
Seems dear! O2 do a PAYG Web Bolt-On for £6 pm with 500MB data + 20 MMS, Bolt Ons - The All-Rounder. You can turn it on/off by the month.

Suppose the £14 tariff includes calls & text which you have no use for and is a 12m contract.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Apr-14 00:02:10
Print Post

Take a look here as a first port of call
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/sims/pay-monthly/pa...

I have used both o2 and EEs network. To be frank the coverage is pretty similar just o2 has 3G less in my experience. So I would not be afraid of switching to T-mobile / Orange / EE / Virgin mobile (all same network) if it's cheaper, as it seems to be.

£9.90 a month gives 500mins, unlimited texts and 1Gb data with T-mobile so that's meeting your needs a lot more.
Check their coverage here
http://ee.co.uk/ee-and-me/network/4gee/coverage-checker

EDIT: Not sure about tethering but I was able to tether on t-mobile until August 2013 when I switched to EE without any issues. Worth checking though, although I'm pretty sure it wasn't technically allowed when I was with them but worked flawlessly.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 05-Apr-14 00:07:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 05-Apr-14 09:11:25
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Bolts-on is what I have at the moment but it needs something to bolt on to? If I only want a sim what could the bolt-on bolt to?

Or am I mis-understanding bolt-ons?
Standard User athegn
(committed) Sat 05-Apr-14 09:15:58
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

My wife has EE; where we go there seems less coverage than 02 but she does not use hers much so we may not be getting the full EE picture.

Tethering is important; in fact the last time my wife wanted wifi on the road she had to tether to my phone as EE did not have a signal; mind you that was in a rural spot, though one of our regular haunts.

Found this, so thethering EE ok:-

http://ee.co.uk/help/add-ons-benefits-and-plans/wifi...

Edited by athegn (Sat 05-Apr-14 09:21:33)

Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Sat 05-Apr-14 09:45:34
Print Post

all o2 30day simplicity and 12 month simplicity tarrifs allow tethering only on o2 payg is tethering not allowed.

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT) (now on a 21cn exchange wwstal 49db on adsl2 or 52.5db on adsl2+ depending on exchange sync)
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Sat 05-Apr-14 10:07:36
Print Post

im on EE pay and go on dolphin tariff and for £10 i get 400 texts and 1gb data, no mins sadly but my actual £10 credit goes far enough for those

i use an android phone with the OpenGarden wifi tether app installed for when my home broadband goes down or im out and about so provided coverage is ok it works perfectly

only thing to add is windows 8 doesn't like ad-hoc networks quite so much (win 7 works no issues) but there are instructions on how to tweak the registry to allow them just takes some time to get working

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
EE unlimited Fibre 76

72meg sync
EE Brightbox 2 (Ethernet Mode) + Openeach ECI Modem
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Apr-14 13:07:16
Print Post

What phone does she have? Phones can massively affect the signal you get.
That said EE doesn't seem the ideal option which I find strange as they have more masts than O2 and 99% 3G coverage which is the most 3G coverage of all the networks.

I use O2 and EE phones side by side now for business and leisure.
When out in rural areas my work always has to ring me on my ee phone as my O2 work phone doesn't have coverage...

That said every area is different.
I must say though that O2 does get to strange places better such as in basement flats or even into parts of London Underground. That said my O2 signal is very often gprs or E. EE doesn't get to these kinds of places.

If you are attached to O2 I would still shop around as £14 is steep for such a limited contract. For £17 you could get a better contract with a galaxy s3 thrown in...

I just checked my O2 phone has full signal but it's only GPRS. My EE phone has only 2 bars but it's 4G.
Turning 4G off I have 3 out of 5 bars of 3G
Using a 2G only pay and go orange handset it has full GPRS.

So it looks like the ee signals worse here but it's only worse as it's on 4g not gprs...

Perhaps the wife's got 3G when you have gprs? That would usually show lower signal but doesn't mean a full gprs signal isn't there waiting. If you get me.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 05-Apr-14 13:13:46)

Standard User JHo1
(learned) Sat 05-Apr-14 13:23:18
Print Post

Take a look at Tescomobile (uses the O2 network). On a monthly contract £10 gets you 500Mb, 250 minutes & 5,000 texts. I've found their support to be good.

GiffGaff (O2 by any other name) will, for £10, sell you 1GB. 500 mins and unlimited texts.

John
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Sat 05-Apr-14 14:21:10
Print Post

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JHo1:
Take a look at Tescomobile (uses the O2 network). On a monthly contract £10 gets you 500Mb, 250 minutes & 5,000 texts. I've found their support to be good.

GiffGaff (O2 by any other name) will, for £10, sell you 1GB. 500 mins and unlimited texts.

John

on tesco its easier to have the triple credit tariff and buy data + texts as addons

£10 gets £30 £15 gets £45 ect

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
EE unlimited Fibre 76

72meg sync
EE Brightbox 2 (Ethernet Mode) + Openeach ECI Modem
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to