General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wywywywy
(newbie) Tue 22-Apr-14 14:07:02
Print Post

Recommend a MiFi that powers automatically on when charging?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Basically I'm using a common Huawei E5830 3G portable Wifi hotspot at the moment, and the main use is for Wifi-only tablets in the car.

It is however rather annoying having to switch the Mifi on every time I get into the car.

So, I'm wondering, is there any on the market that would automatically power on, as soon as the car provides power through the cigarette lighter?

If it could automatically power off when the power is cut, it would be even better.

Thanks.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 14:12:02
Print Post

Re: Recommend a MiFi that powers automatically on when charg

[re: wywywywy] [link to this post]

Hi smile

I don't believe so.. I had a E585 Mifi and that had to be manually powered on.

Some car manufactures have units that can be installed in the car and they run the 3/4G and work as you would like. For my car (Peugeot) they are £169. I think that's very expensive as a phone can do the same thing but now that I don't have a tethering option and due to what I am saving per month I am thinking of having one fitted. It's on EE also I believe so should be a good signal. They offer 10GB for £20 a month through Peugeot (usually £30 if you get it direct from EE)

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 22-Apr-14 14:14:49)

Standard User wywywywy
(newbie) Wed 23-Apr-14 09:40:16
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Thanks.

I did have a look at that, but it's a Mercedes so it's going to be around £1000, and I'm not even sure whether it's compatible with my car frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Apr-14 10:15:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by wywywywy:
Thanks.

I did have a look at that, but it's a Mercedes so it's going to be around £1000, and I'm not even sure whether it's compatible with my car frown

Well couldn't you just keep the unit on? If I remember rightly the Mifi I have has something stupid like 100 hour standby. So just keep it on and then when you start the engine it starts to charge?
Standard User wywywywy
(newbie) Wed 23-Apr-14 11:04:21
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Which model has 100hr battery life? My E5830 definitely has got anywhere near that.

I am also a bit worried about security, and that my devices at home may try to connect to the Mifi Wifi rather than Home Wifi.
Standard User wywywywy
(newbie) Wed 23-Apr-14 12:08:27
Print Post

Forgot to mention that I found something last night - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Option-XYFI-14-4-Personal-Ho...

It's like any other Mifi, but without a battery, so it can power on and off with the car.

But it's £100 and it powers off immediately when power is cut, unlike proper car hotspots where connection stays active for some predetermined amount of time.
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Apr-14 15:32:11
Print Post

No that's standby. The actual constant usage is about 10 hours.

My phone has access to 3 wifi hotspots now and they all have different passwords. Mine turns off when it's not in use anyway.

I would personally say take the 10 seconds to turn it on when you want to use it but as you don't want to do that I don't know what else to suggest.
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Apr-14 15:33:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by wywywywy:
Forgot to mention that I found something last night - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Option-XYFI-14-4-Personal-Ho...

It's like any other Mifi, but without a battery, so it can power on and off with the car.

But it's £100 and it powers off immediately when power is cut, unlike proper car hotspots where connection stays active for some predetermined amount of time.

When you turn the car off try and catch the first setting. You might also find that it still powers on as my car stereo will power on again once after I have turned the ignition off. When I run my camera and I am stationary I just go down to the click before totally off which most cars do.

That seems a good hnit but it stats 72mbps but it's clearly not going to achieve that if it's stated as 14.1 down and 5 up that's basic 3G

I also find it disturbing that all of the reviews bar 1 on Amazon all state they are breaking 3's T & C's and each one will get disconnected.

I would also recommend getting one from the market place which would make it £74. not a bad deal.

But if you are paying £50 just because it folds I would suggest (depending on where your USB slot is) that a normal one might suffice. This is a 5 unit HS for 1/4 of the price

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Infinity-Wireless-Unlocked-C...

Edited by pcoventry76 (Wed 23-Apr-14 15:39:34)

Print Thread

Jump to