General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Apr-14 10:46:06
Print Post

GiffGaff SIM for Data Dongle

[link to this post]

I have heard that GiffGaff offer a PAYG SIM where the credit does not expire after 30 days or so. (Like my Vodafone SIM used to do until they ceased to honour the contract).

Problem is, I so far cannot work out which SIM from GiffGaff I need to obtain.

Any ideas please?

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Apr-14 10:56:49
Print Post

Re: GiffGaff SIM for Data Dongle

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Hi Clive,

You need a Gigabag which you can get from herehttp://giffgaff.com/gigabags

The credit does not run out if you use PAYG but if you spend say £12.50 on a 3GB Gigabag you only get the data allowance for 30 days so it does run out.

They are expensive on PAYG only data. You would be better off getting something like a Virgin Mobile sim where they charge £1 for unlimited data a day.

It sounds a lot but bear in mind that with Giffgaff you can only use 20MB a day which they charge you 20P for. If you use up all your credit then you are stuck on 2P per MB until the renewal date comes along.

GiffGaff don't allow you to top up mid month so it all depends on how much you plan to use.
(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Apr-14 11:24:23
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

What I'm trying to replace is what until recently enjoyed with Vodafone. For some years I have had one of their K3565 dongles which had the contract for 1GB date for £15 but there was no time limit on usage, subject to a connection every 180 days. I used it for standby internet should my landline fail and also holidays etc. (I even lent it to our Community Council Office when BT messed up an address change and they had no internet for a week).

Due my low usage, £15 used to keep me going in emails etc for over a year! So was really good value. Then Vodafone decided to cancel the contract (without notice) they had my email address which when I checked yesterday was still in the system.

So I'm looking for ideally a similar replacement SIM from any supplier.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Sat 26-Apr-14 16:30:26
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Maybe you should look at samba. You can get 3.5MB for each advert you watch and it never expires. You can then use it as and when you need to - Use your home connection to build up the credit.

If that's not for you then a PAYG service with just credit would do you - GiffGaff will do that as the credit never expires and you can buy gigabags as and when needed - otherwise as I said it's 2p/MB

I added a link for you - they have been around a few years - they use 3 network and they are very popular. They also do bundles and as when you need it - but you can top up more than once in the same month if you need to unlike GiffGaff

http://www.sambamobile.com/Home/Samba

You can see and test drive their ads here. http://www.sambamobile.com/Ads but you get no credit unless you are logged in - once you order a sim you can start to earn credit right away so it's got some on when you get it if you want to. I've used them in the past - they are fine.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Sat 26-Apr-14 16:35:05)

Standard User fabyon
(experienced) Sun 27-Apr-14 01:35:50
Print Post

I do like samba mobile and have saved up 5gb of data on my sim which I'm using on a mifi device. Very useful when my sister came to visit from Canada last week as she was able to be a tourist in London once more avoiding roaming charges. Since I've been using sky BB I've had two small outages so that was like having a trusted 'dial-up' as a back up to still have access and see what's going on. If you buy extra credits afak it will use the purchased data first, the ad watched gained data never expires.

Sky Broadband

Edited by fabyon (Sun 27-Apr-14 01:36:57)

(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Apr-14 14:06:53
Print Post

[re: fabyon] [link to this post]

There you go Clive, Word of mouth is always the best advertising.

Maybe give them a try and build the credit up?
(knowledge is power) Sun 27-Apr-14 23:57:14
Print Post

Samba certainly sounds interesting, as does GiffGaff.

I'll do some research as to what signal is available and take it from there. I have a Vodafone 3G mast about 200 metres away, with one of the three 'beams' more or less aimed at our house. (I managed to get a field strength plan when it was installed a few years back.) EE claim a 4G signal in our area according to their map, but also shows as patchy for indoor use.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Mon 28-Apr-14 09:46:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Maybe you should look at samba. You can get 3.5MB for each advert you watch and it never expires. You can then use it as and when you need to - Use your home connection to build up the credit.

Not any more. I just received an email (after purchasing a SIM card from them only 8 hours ago) that they are closing down.
Samba closing down. Thanks to all our customers.
Dear Customers,

You may have heard via the website, a friend or social media that Samba has had to take the difficult decision to close. We hope that you, our customers, have been happy with the value exchange received over the last two years. Below you will find answers to FAQs.

We would like to thank you for all your support. We know that a lot of you have really appreciated the service, and we have, in return, very much appreciated your loyalty to Samba and your support of our proposition to friends and family.

We have provided free mobile broadband, but also an alternative to interruptive video advertising models, and have, for the most part, with your participation, proven that people are quite happy to view video ads when they are in control of the experience and get something in return. We will be using this learning in future projects.

However, it is with sadness that today we have closed the service, and we understand and appreciate you will need to find alternatives to Samba. We have made suggestions of where to look at the bottom of the FAQs below.

To paraphrase the late Douglas Adams, so long and thanks for all the views...

Thankfully, they have said that anyone who has purchased a dongle or SIM in April will be refunded by Thursday 1st May 2014.

What a joke.

ZeN | 21CN | IPv6 via HE | 60/20Mb FTTC
Previous ISPs: <aaisp.net> | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited | ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Apr-14 11:03:02
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Oh [censored]!

Thanks for letting me know - Clive IGNORE the samba bit!

Another Sad day frown

In reply to a post by mixt:
In reply to a post by pcoventry76:

Not any more. I just received an email (after purchasing a SIM card from them only 8 hours ago) that they are closing down.
Samba closing down. Thanks to all our customers.
Dear Customers,

You may have heard via the website, a friend or social media that Samba has had to take the difficult decision to close. We hope that you, our customers, have been happy with the value exchange received over the last two years. Below you will find answers to FAQs.

We would like to thank you for all your support. We know that a lot of you have really appreciated the service, and we have, in return, very much appreciated your loyalty to Samba and your support of our proposition to friends and family.

We have provided free mobile broadband, but also an alternative to interruptive video advertising models, and have, for the most part, with your participation, proven that people are quite happy to view video ads when they are in control of the experience and get something in return. We will be using this learning in future projects.

However, it is with sadness that today we have closed the service, and we understand and appreciate you will need to find alternatives to Samba. We have made suggestions of where to look at the bottom of the FAQs below.

To paraphrase the late Douglas Adams, so long and thanks for all the views...

Thankfully, they have said that anyone who has purchased a dongle or SIM in April will be refunded by Thursday 1st May 2014.

What a joke.
Standard User Yves
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Apr-14 11:11:23
Print Post

Samba

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

I just got the email. It is unclear whether I have lost the 1.8gb credit I earned from watching adverts but have not used.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to