General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 11:54:08
Print Post

Virgin Mobile

[link to this post]

Hi Guys,

Well I've had VM for over a month now on the VIP Plus tariff. (although I left VM a few weeks ago) and it's been hell!

Internet slow as hell everywhere I went. There IS a 3.5GB limit and then they throttle you. I had to use a VPN from the start to get anything near a good speed (as it does override even the throttling for a while) and today I got a " You have used your phone for tethering, if you carry on we will cut you off" SMS

To be fair the unlimited minutes have been all that but I have not used hardly any. The 08 calls are also okay but the message you get before you are connected is long and boring and you can't skip it

I would just carry on but I need my number and I don't want to lose it if they disconnect me. So I am now going back to 3 (wishing I never left) and also dumping my mobile BB sim as well.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 20-May-14 11:56:50)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 13:27:43
Print Post

Re: Virgin Mobile

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

I had been with O2 and moved to 3. Unfortunately the 3 network here was rubbish so actually then jumped to GiffGaff (back on the O2 network). 3G is not good but at least I can make a phone call and get some data occasionally.

Mobile networks seem to entirely depend on the exact places you want them most often. I have not found one yet that works well everywhere I want to be.
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 15:52:57
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

I did with 3 and I do really regret leaving them. I was on the one plan and could have got the unlimited tethering for another 2 years but I had a brain fart and dumped them for virgin.

They were not surprised when I called for my PAC - they still haven't un throttled my data so I can't even use the 3.5GB which is meant to be clean before.

EE 4G was low in my old area (no matter what I did couldn't get past 8mbps) so I will try them again and see what happens, I need a new phone anyway so the Kestrel with 10GB might be worth a punt,.

It's interesting to see that now all the phones 3 sell/supply are unlocked and they also now offer an unlock for free for anyone who has a 3 phone

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wolvesmad
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-May-14 16:59:04
Print Post

I'm on Three's One Plan with my 5S and they are a decent network. Lightyears ahead of Vodafone who I was with for years. Vodafone, considering they are a MASSIVE network compared to 3 have terrible 3G coverage.

If EE had a decent plan I would for a reasonable price then I would consider them as there are some pubs, clubs etc where I get No Service due to 3's poor building penetration. EE still have 2G and very good 4G coverage compared to 3.

Can't grumble though for £15 a month.

-

BT BroadbandInfinity 2

Edited by wolvesmad (Tue 20-May-14 16:59:45)

(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 17:17:15
Print Post

[re: wolvesmad] [link to this post]

NO that's true. I've just been and had a look at the Kestrel and it was okay but nothing special. Still unable to get anything above 8mbps so I assume the whole of my area is messed up.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-May-14 19:10:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
NO that's true. I've just been and had a look at the Kestrel and it was okay but nothing special. Still unable to get anything above 8mbps so I assume the whole of my area is messed up.

Odd. 4G on my 5s here is averaging 10mbps but in evenings I've seen 25mbps. I suspect it's been popular since the April price cuts. A friend of mine bought a new 5c on two year deal with 2gb data for £23 a month including 4g - that surprised me.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
19/5/2014 - just ordered PlusNet Unlimited Fibre - awaiting activation date
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cablemodem trialist) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical BT speedtest
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 20:09:08
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I guess it's just my area. Anyway I am going back to 3 as on Thursday. Just got my pac from Virgin. I am honestly getting 0.25mbps down and I have already gone into the next month.

I mean.. I did this a few mins ago.. frown http://prntscr.com/3l06oy

Sucks.. yes I used 0845/0870 calls but I would get 300 on three to use the weq4u app so that's not a problem.

I saw your sig "19/5/2014 - just ordered PlusNet Unlimited Fibre - awaiting activation date" smile

Mine is 13 working days from order. Just letting you know. (10th ordered - 28th install)

Edited by pcoventry76 (Tue 20-May-14 20:14:41)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-May-14 20:14:31
Print Post

I guess it's just my area. Anyway I am going back to 3 as on Thursday. Just got my pac from Virgin. I am honestly getting 0.25mbps down and I have already gone into the next month.

I think EE has not activated enough cell sites per town yet, we still only seem to have two here, and in my mates garden (long way from the closest mast) you can get 2 bars of LTE with about 6mbps, but interactive responses are much faster than 3G - despite their being a 3G mast just around the corner. EE need to upgrade more masts in towns they've already "done" to keep people happy next smile

Sucks.. yes I used 0845/0870 calls but I would get 300 on three to use the weq4u app so that's not a problem.

I saw your sig "19/5/2014 - just ordered PlusNet Unlimited Fibre - awaiting activation date" smile

Mine is 13 working days from order. Just letting you know. (10th ordered - 28th install)

Thanks, that's useful, the website reckons "we will let you know" smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cablemodem trialist) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical BT speedtest
(knowledge is power) Tue 20-May-14 20:15:53
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I updated my post so you might want to refresh for a laughable screenshot lol

They forgot mine. I did it online but turns out it never even when through. I only noticed as I put my dad down as the referrer and in the status on his account it was mine was in "Pre signup" so I called them and they put it through

I am glad I did.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-May-14 20:21:21
Print Post

I updated my post so you might want to refresh for a laughable screenshot lol

They forgot mine. I did it online but turns out it never even when through. I only noticed as I put my dad down as the referrer and in the status on his account it was mine was in "Pre signup" so I called them and they put it through

I am glad I did.

Oh dear :-/ I just tried a speedtest on my EE 4G 5s, and got 24.36 download and 13.33 upload on the Maidenhead/XILO server.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to