General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User swt1963
(newbie) Wed 28-May-14 10:44:24
Print Post

Using Three 3 3-2-1 SIM in Mi-Fi

[link to this post]

Does anyone know if Three allow use of a 3-2-1 PAYG SIM in an (unlocked) Mi-Fi type device? I currenly have a £5/month 1GB T-Mobile data SIM-only contract, but rarely use more than 200MB in a month, so could save some money here. Can't find any specific T's & C's on the Three website but then finding anything on their site isn't that easy smile
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-May-14 11:05:05
Print Post

Re: Using Three 3 3-2-1 SIM in Mi-Fi

[re: swt1963] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by swt1963:
Does anyone know if Three allow use of a 3-2-1 PAYG SIM in an (unlocked) Mi-Fi type device? I currenly have a £5/month 1GB T-Mobile data SIM-only contract, but rarely use more than 200MB in a month, so could save some money here. Can't find any specific T's & C's on the Three website but then finding anything on their site isn't that easy smile

as you are paying for the data. They won't stop someone using it at 1P/MB i don't think

it's a voice sim so I guess you can try it but they still make from it. I would try it and see
Standard User georgelnx
(newbie) Wed 28-May-14 13:51:31
Print Post

From 3 Pay As You Go Price Plans

"Pay As You Go plans do not allow tethering. If you would like to tether, you will need to choose a Pay Monthly plan and / or an Add-On that does allow tethering."

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Wed 28-May-14 14:49:18
Print Post

[re: georgelnx] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by georgelnx:
From 3 Pay As You Go Price Plans

"Pay As You Go plans do not allow tethering. If you would like to tether, you will need to choose a Pay Monthly plan and / or an Add-On that does allow tethering."

With a pinch of salt.. I can tether on my PAYG sim with the AIO £15 addon just fine. On android they cant tell unless it's really heavy usage
Standard User kev_445
(learned) Wed 28-May-14 15:37:40
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Unfortunately that isn't the case, they look at the browser headers.
If they notice a browser which isn't for a phone, they'll block the internet access.
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-May-14 16:04:06
Print Post

[re: kev_445] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kev_445:
Unfortunately that isn't the case, they look at the browser headers.
If they notice a browser which isn't for a phone, they'll block the internet access.

okay so with all the main browsers having mobile versions, how is that still possible?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-May-14 18:03:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
okay so with all the main browsers having mobile versions, how is that still possible?

The headers are different smile But also they can tell from traffic and sites visited and volume of data.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6, Now 52/9, Sync @ 55 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
19/5/2014 - just ordered PlusNet Unlimited Fibre - awaiting activation date
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cablemodem trialist) - Router: Asus RT-AC68U (merlin) - Modem: HG612 unlocked Typical BT speedtest
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-May-14 22:01:10
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

my friend did 5GB over torrents on handset and then another 5 on PC via tethering the enxt day that was 3 days ago - not heard a thing

I guess it's the amount of data used that raises the alarm but if it's handset throughput asell then it wouldn't
Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Thu 29-May-14 01:08:03
Print Post

It should work fine, I've used mobile sims in dongles before and there was no problem...

Standard User hoopla
(member) Mon 30-Jun-14 00:54:34
Print Post

There is no PAYG data on Three. They have one-month bundles, but not a single PAYG offering for data suitable for use in a mifi.

I have a couple of 1-2-3 PAYG sims that can and do get blocked after varying amounts of time when used in a tablet, or in the 3G dongle in my car stereo (used to get traffic info etc, never calls or browsing).

So far, taking the sim out and putting it into a phone, then making a call, resets it. But how long for, I don't know.

I wish I could find ANY uk network that does allow PAYG data without buying a block of data that expires, or paying ten times a sensible price, or suffering from hopeless coverage (GiffGaff/O2)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to