General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 01-Jun-14 14:50:37
Print Post

3g SIM card in laptop - some questions

[link to this post]

A Vodafone 3g SIM card has been installed in a laptop and all is working fine but to take the concept further, it would be nice to have the answers to the following questions:
1) Is there a command to show the mobile number?
2) Can it be connected to Sure Signal?
3) Is it possible to send and receive SMS messages?
4) By whatever means can an external aerial be used?
5) Using the laptop's inbuilt sound facilities, would voice calls be possible?

I am not holding my breath to get a positive response to any of these features but more to put my mind at rest that my wish list can not e fulfilled!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Jun-14 15:45:25
Print Post

Re: 3g SIM card in laptop - some questions

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

1 - depends on the make of the UMTS module, some you can connect with a serial console and send an AT command. Easier to take sim out and put In a phone to read number.
2 - yes once you have the number. Data sims work fine on sure signal
3 - yes if you have the UMTS module vendors software
4 - only if the laptop maker designed in a connector for this. I've not seen on dell or Lenovo.
5 - unlikely most data devices don't support voice. Your sim probably a data only one too.

The module inside the laptop is the same an express card or USB connected dongle and is just connected to the PCI or USB bus inside. Making it more convenient.

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Sold 42/6, Sync @ 51/9.8 @ 470m
19/5/2014 - ordered PlusNet Unlimited Fibre - activation 3rd June
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BT speed
Standard User fabyon
(experienced) Sun 01-Jun-14 17:55:38
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Isn't Sure Signal that box that connects through your own broadband to give you a localised mobile phone signal ?

Sky Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User blueacid
(committed) Sun 01-Jun-14 22:35:39
Print Post

[re: fabyon] [link to this post]

Yes - it would seem a bit pointless to use the sure signal for 3g data: to be within range of the sure signal you'd probably be in range of local wireless.

Vodafone will not account your data usage any differently over the sure signal, so your usage would still count towards your Vodafone limit even if you made it over a sure signal. Only time it would be alright is if you had unlimited use from Vodafone - therefore you wouldn't pay any different between using the Sure Signal and local wifi. I'm in that boat with Three: all you can eat data means I don't need to care if my phone is on local wifi or 3g when just browsing. It all backhauls via my ADSL line and I can't really notice much of a speed drop on 3g, even though a speedtest shows I get 3-4mbit on 3g versus 8-9mbit on the wifi.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Jun-14 22:39:39
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:
Yes - it would seem a bit pointless to use the sure signal for 3g data: to be within range of the sure signal you'd probably be in range of local wireless.

Yes, all the mobile phone networks suggest that if you have a suresignal / signal box that you use WiFi for data.

Where it works is companies that don't have public WiFi but install signal boxes. smile

James BT Infinity 2 - 19/9/2012 - Sold 42/6, Sync @ 51/9.8 @ 470m
19/5/2014 - ordered PlusNet Unlimited Fibre - activation 3rd June
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BT speed
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Mon 02-Jun-14 09:31:19
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by blueacid:

Well maybe .......... let me explain my thoughts on this matter. The Toughbook resides in a recovery truck which is frequently in the yard waiting for the next job. When there, it will auto connect to the router and therefore a quality internet signal is available except the laptop primary use is out on the road . As the truck leaves the yard the router becomes out of range but sadly doesn't auto connect to the Vodafone mobile service, but that's another matter.

Now the laptop can receive and send SMS messages but what I am unsure about is whether the SMS service only works via the mobile network. If that is the case then the only need to connect to the router would be for software updates and patches.

The Sure Signal device covers the office block and the yard. The laptop is never switched off. Our area of interest is really to ensure that SMS messages are received at all times.

Across the internet are delivered job details so that the driver is not distracted with mobile calls. Having a combination laptop and tablet is ideal for this environment.
  Print Thread

Jump to