General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sten2005
(newbie) Sun 06-Jul-14 23:03:51
Print Post

4G for rural broadband

[link to this post]

I live in an area with poor landline broadband speeds (1.5mbps).
But on the EE 4G coverage checker I can now get 4G.
So I've just got EE mobile broadband with a Huawei E5776 mobile router.

Not unexpectedly I get a poor signal inside the house, usually 3G rarely 4G.

My question is what is the best way to improve the signal ? - either use an external (outdoor) antenna (the 5776 has a TS9 external port) or to use a signal booster (signal repeater) which would have the added benefit of improving mobile phone reception too.

And any suggestions of what hardware to use ?
Standard User adamtemp
(experienced) Mon 07-Jul-14 03:32:00
Print Post

Re: 4G for rural broadband

[re: Sten2005] [link to this post]

An external anttena as all signal boosters are ilegal in the uk http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/mobile-phones/co...

GLOBALNET now part of madasafish now plusnet With The same isp since 1995 ( now all part of BT) (now on a 21cn exchange wwstal 49db on adsl2 or 52.5db on adsl2+ depending on exchange sync)
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Jul-14 08:00:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Sten2005:
And any suggestions of what hardware to use ?

Have a look at Solwise, and they are good at advice:
http://solwise.co.uk/3g-antenna-outdoor.htm

The other poster thinks you're talking about repeaters which are illegal, but external antenna are no problem.

James - plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - Sync 55/9.4 (BT was 51/9.8)
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - PN BQM - PN speed - old BT speed

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jul-14 08:29:20
Print Post

The 5776 is really meant as a mobile device, not designed for permanent home use

Devices like this Huawei 4G Wireless router are likely to be better for a full time 4G at home.

Plus the advantage of Ethernet outputs if you want.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sten2005
(newbie) Mon 07-Jul-14 13:14:22
Print Post

[re: adamtemp] [link to this post]

@adamtemp - at least that makes the choice simpler smile

@jchamier - thanks for the suggestion, I've just spoken to Solwise and they really seem to know what they are talking about. Looks a better bet than Ebay for sure.

@Andrew - for some reason EE are providing 4G mobile broadband with a 5776 at the same price as SIM only. So I thought I'd try it first.
I'd got in mind using a better router (with an ethernet port). Where I am I'll probably need an outside (roof) antenna, does the router you suggested allow connection of dual external antenna (the picture looks as though it could) ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jul-14 14:16:08
Print Post

Yeap it can

Some of the antenna

What you have to be careful of though is loss in the cable to the antenna out weighing the gain of the antenna.

Solwise are a good lot of people to talk to http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-4g-lte-s4.htm

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fearby
(committed) Mon 07-Jul-14 20:25:17
Print Post

I use a Huawei E5172 and the internal antenna is very good.
I was getting 2 bars 4G on the mobile phone with EE and live a long way from the mast but can regularly get 20mbps.
I am trying an external antenna as the signal was dropping without any obvious reason and I think a better reception would make that less likely. I am going for a small external antenna with cable going out through the extractor in the kitchen which never gets used. I thought about a directional antenna but its a bit of an expensive mistake if they don't improve things.

Try a search on eBay as there are plenty to choose from
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 08-Jul-14 09:20:54
Print Post

PM Me your postcode and I'll take a look where the serving 4G cell is.

Paul
Standard User equiton
(learned) Wed 09-Jul-14 10:28:00
Print Post

[re: fearby] [link to this post]

if you have a mobile on the same network its well worth getting the signal measuring apps.
I use GSM signal monitor and open signal. The both give signal strengh in DB and you can walk round your property finding the best place to put the antenna. Way better than using the bars on the phone and easier than doing dozens of speed tests.
Standard User andrewgarnel
(newbie) Wed 09-Jul-14 10:47:53
Print Post

Sharing a broadband connection using a dedicated broadband router is more suitable for small businesses and homes and this will be much more flexible.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to