General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Aug-14 15:13:39
Print Post

Re: New Moto G 4G

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

I've got it I think it's a cracking phone.
Standard User fabyon
(experienced) Mon 25-Aug-14 03:01:38
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Me too, I got it on Amazon when it was showing up one weekend at the £139.99 mark and went for it. Early Xmas pressie for me ! Reached 42Mb download in West London in the middle of the night. Great phone.

Sky Broadband
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Aug-14 14:23:51
Print Post

[re: fabyon] [link to this post]

Yes same price for me. Although I have not yet had any 4G on it because I am currently on virgin mobile but I have put a 3 sim in and stood in cardiff and see it on the display

I got mine from Tesco

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fabyon
(experienced) Wed 27-Aug-14 01:20:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
Yes same price for me. Although I have not yet had any 4G on it because I am currently on virgin mobile but I have put a 3 sim in and stood in cardiff and see it on the display

I got mine from Tesco

I'm on giffgaff and joined the 4G trial but I'm happy to use it only with 3G as I'm a low user, I just want peace of mind that I can be contacted and find my way around with maps etc... laugh

Sky Broadband
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Aug-14 14:52:37
Print Post

Is it good on their 4G? I am thinking about using them. I just don't get a great O2 signal around here.. that said never tried it but the others are all rubbish due to the house so not sure if O2 would be different
Standard User fabyon
(experienced) Wed 27-Aug-14 16:01:44
Print Post

Not really, I only managed 42mb download at 5am; during the day as you can imagine (I'm in Shepherds Bush) it's very congested despite having 5 masts around me. I got a 'great' 3Mb download and 10Mb upload in the middle of the afternoon. If you check the giffgaff forum there's a lot of grumbling for their abysmal speed, someone posted an interesting data sheet about how MVNO get the leftovers of any capacity on masts as priority is given to business users, then networks and finally MVNOs (depending on their agreements); someone noticed that there's a huge difference between Tesco and giffgaff both running on O2. It seems Tesco are probably paying more for a better service, since giffgaff is probably seen by Telefonica as an 'experiment' they're not that worried that they're cannibalising it. To be honest most of my relatives are on giffgaff that means I just have to top up with the fiver goodybag every three months to keep the free txt and calls to giffgaff users. The first daily 20mb are charged at 1p/mb and then a eye watering 20p/mb using the airtime credits obviously if one uses the goody bag then one has an allowance and anything over that is charged at 2pence/mb. Since I'm a low user that daily 20mb is just fine plus the free calls I never spend more than 20 quid a year.

Sky Broadband
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Aug-14 18:01:19
Print Post

I've just been looking at the site.

I am home most of the day so I could get chatting on the forum. I do like the sound of payback which means a free phone service after what 6 months?

I use about 100mins 500 sms and about 40MB of data so it's ideal for me also. They do get the last bit and I have heard great things about O2 but I wouldn't use the allowance let alone the extras.

I was on 3 so the 3.2.1 is something I might go back to. If all your family are on GG and you get free calls then what the hell, makes sense. And you only have top up to get he calls not get a GB- just so you know. I just read and double read it on their website

I'm registered on there but never activated my sim which has run out - I have ordered a new one and I hope it's a 3G one.

Their new goodbybags are good. The £18 one is basically what I pay on Virgin for unlimited everything right now.

I just wish you could get a sim without having to pay to register it - I made that mistake with Voda and that was £10 down the drain. Mind you I can't get very good signal in my house so I guess it dosen't matter - they will all work outdoors

Edited by pcoventry76 (Wed 27-Aug-14 18:30:47)

(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Aug-14 16:40:06
Print Post

I've decided to go back to 3 on the 3,2,1 tariff for now. I rarely use my phone and I use my landline more than I do my mobile.

I might get 4G in cardiff but wouldn't use it at 3P a MB lol

I used to use the weq4u app for all 08 numbers but I didn't know you can also use it via a landline and having unlimited minutes means I don't need the mobile ones anymore.

The Giffgaff offerings look good now they have been changed but is it worth it when people all report slow speeds on the data. ?

Edited by pcoventry76 (Fri 29-Aug-14 17:03:34)

(knowledge is power) Fri 29-Aug-14 17:21:25
Print Post

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mlmclaren:
3's 4G is always rubbish compared too EE..

Not round here - EE you have to pay to get double 4G and that's around 50mbps - 3, well you've seen the screenshots I did for 4G in cardiff on 3. 64Mbps down.

I am going there tomorrow so I will do another test then. As you know where I currently live I am about 15M outside of the EE 4G area - otherwise I would have them, but they don't yet to PAYG 4G sims and I don't want a CONtract.

This moto 4G is a mighty phone. Its got the same sort of feel as a Nexus 4/5 in terms of vanilla android. I chose this after my S4 broke down and my Iphone 4S was a disaster from ebay. I was going to get a 5S or even a 6 but decided this was what I wanted - at £139 at the time best buy in ages!
Standard User Galoka
(learned) Fri 29-Aug-14 17:44:54
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gmoorc:
Nice. Got the 4.4.4 update yet?
This hasn't fixed the class 10 sd card issue for me although I only get a problem when rebooting with the Transcend card I am using.

I bought a Tesco locked one (tho unlocked it for about £1.5) ) a couple of months back . I recieved the 4.4.4 update a a few weeks ago.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to