General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User samthebam
(newbie) Thu 07-Aug-14 08:53:20
Print Post

solution for hoiliday home

[link to this post]

I recently installed a new heating thermostat at a holiday home which can be controlled using the internet. I have been wondering how to connect it either by tethering an old smart phone or using a mifi router. Data usage would be around 100mb per month. Any ideas as to the best solution? Tethered mobile turn off the tethering if it loses signal so it may not be the best route. A payg data sim that does not expire would be the cheapest solution. 3 seems to the be the best option for payg but I can't find terms and conditions for the preloaded data sims once the initial data expires. any ideas or experience?
Standard User ts86net
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Aug-14 10:44:42
Print Post

Re: solution for hoiliday home

[re: samthebam] [link to this post]

This sounds like it would be perfect for you:
http://www.aa.net.uk/telecoms-mobile-data.html
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Tue 19-Aug-14 14:17:10
Print Post

[re: ts86net] [link to this post]

With expection of the £2 a month charge that's the same prices as 3 however I would lean towards this also for the OP. mainly because of the £2 a month charge which I guess could be akin to line rental. So if there is a problem the OP can call up and get things looked at - something a PAYG account holder will struggle to do.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Tue 19-Aug-14 14:40:05
Print Post

You could just get fixed broadband for the holiday home and use that? Then add WiFi as a selling point for the holiday home.

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
Standard User JHo1
(learned) Tue 19-Aug-14 16:16:58
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by brandscill:
You could just get fixed broadband for the holiday home and use that? Then add WiFi as a selling point for the holiday home.

Yes! B is spot on. I rent holiday cottages several times a year and wifi has made it onto my "must have" list. Until recently it was not commonly available but there is now a situation where I can afford to ignore cottages without, in the knowledge that there'll be another not far away that has wifi.

So put it in and mention it in your cottage features.It is enormously helpful on holiday for looking up the opening times of local attractions and the like. Don't forget that phone data reception is often **** in holiday home locations. Go for it. It really is a selling point.

John
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Tue 19-Aug-14 17:32:55
Print Post

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

I know my parents pick locations with WiFi.

They like going on long walks in the day, pub for dinner and then back to holiday home to chill out and watch Netflix or whatever. Plus it's often a selling point for those who go away and have to have reliable internet access for work emergencies. (I know, we should be on holiday and switch off but in todays world there are unfortunately jobs that need it)

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
Standard User samthebam
(newbie) Wed 20-Aug-14 08:45:31
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. The house is not rented out, just there for family and friends so really can't justify phone line rental and fixed broadband, TV licence is dear enough for the limited use.

Experimenting with mobiles using EE and 3 both drop the connection if it is unused for 2 hours and it has to be manually reconnected. Andrew and Arnold sim looks a solution but before I spend £40 on a Mifi router will it disconnect after two hours of inactivity too? I will only use the connection for a few minutes every few days (if even that) so there will be long periods of of no data being transferred.
Standard User andyf66
(newbie) Wed 20-Aug-14 09:35:02
Print Post

How about the 5GB bundle here?

http://uk.prepaidzero.com/

Doesn't expire (Allegedly). Never used it so no idea if its any good. I've been looking for something similar so am interested what comes up.

Andy.
Standard User path6336
(member) Wed 20-Aug-14 12:00:14
Print Post

[re: andyf66] [link to this post]

I emailed Prepaid Zero and got the following information on the 5GB prepaid card - Sim card itself does not expire but the 5GB allowance is only valid for 30 days and currently there are no top-ups for the data card. So maximum validity on the card is 30 days.

Shame, a 5GB non-expiring pre-paid data sim would be great for me.
Standard User andyf66
(newbie) Wed 20-Aug-14 14:17:02
Print Post

[re: path6336] [link to this post]

Bah! Would have been great for me too. Thanks for the info.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to