General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tthom
(member) Fri 17-Oct-14 20:05:34
Print Post

T-Mobile "unlimited data"

[link to this post]

Hi all,

The misses is thinking of going with T-mob for her new phone and we went to Carphone warehouse as its the only retailer who sells this phone in blue anyway..

The young chap who didn't even know how to bring up her current phones IMEI number lol, Kept trying to get her to take a EE 4G contract but shes not intrested as shes not a speed freak unlike me,
So another guy comes along as this one is useless and was trying to tell me T-mobile's FUP on unlimited is 1GB at full speed then slow which I am 99% sure this is untrue and more like its got a cap of 4Meg down but still unlimited transfer, Am I right in saying this and confirm the guy was talking rubbish or is he correct.

Thanks for any replys

Broadband Providers since 2005 Aol/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT/BT-INFINITY
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Oct-14 21:42:07
Print Post

Re: T-Mobile "unlimited data"

[re: tthom] [link to this post]

Hi,

When I had it they throttled after 500MB from 4-12PM daily but it was at full speed out of those times.

I'd go with EE personally (If I was not with 3) as a lot of the t-mobile kit is being turned off from what I have read.
Standard User therioman
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Oct-14 23:43:59
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
I'd go with EE personally (If I was not with 3) as a lot of the t-mobile kit is being turned off from what I have read.

There's no such difference in terms of 3G. T-Mobile and Orange don't exist in customer terms when it comes to the network - you use the combined infrastructure. Yes, some has been decommissioned that was previously "T-Mobile" (and same the other way around), but whether you're Orange, T-Mobile or EE branded, on 2g/3g it's the same. The only real difference is that to use 4G you have to use the EE brand, but that's all.

A T-Mobile subscriber can use any non-4G base regardless of who originally set it up. Same for an Orange subscriber. Same for an EE subscriber.

Please stop spreading misinformation. As much as I'm not an EE fan, the distinction you draw doesn't exist.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bet_here
(regular) Sat 18-Oct-14 05:33:37
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by therioman:
...but whether you're Orange, T-Mobile or EE branded, on 2g/3g it's the same.

That answers a question I was going to ask - With my iPhone 4S, would I see any difference in service if I swapped from T-Mobile to EE. No.

Cheers!

Simon.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Oct-14 10:52:12
Print Post

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bet_here:
That answers a question I was going to ask - With my iPhone 4S, would I see any difference in service if I swapped from T-Mobile to EE. No.

No technical difference due to your phone - but its likely the store will have better offers on EE SIM only deals. They really want to migrate everyone over.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User tthom
(member) Sat 18-Oct-14 14:54:03
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

After some searching I found out that statement to be false..

So got the phone this morning and she loves it lol

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sat 18-Oct-14 15:05:24
Print Post

[re: therioman] [link to this post]

A lot of the kit is being turned off.

Sorry if you find my post to be against your beliefs. However having spent 10 years at Orange before during and after the EE merger and working in networks I will depend on my own advice rather than yours.

I was based at the old building in Cribbs - for your reference.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Oct-14 18:12:08
Print Post

[re: tthom] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tthom:
After some searching I found out that statement to be false..

So got the phone this morning and she loves it lol

Ahh, I didn't see you/she wanted "unlimited" - ie, the "Full Monty plan" on the T-mobile brand. This is speed limited, so if you're in an area with 20meg 3G coverage, you'll only see about 4meg on this plan.

Yes, if you go in wanting unlimited usage on the phone, that is the only option. If you'd wanted say 10GB on 3G then they'd probably have recommended an EE plan as being better value.

Generally it is anticipated that Orange and T-mobile plans are legacy, there is only one EE company, one EE website, and one EE network, and at some point they will stop selling plans with Orange and T-Mobile names.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-Oct-14 18:14:26
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
A lot of the kit is being turned off.

Of course all networks are turning off kit as they turn on new kit that may be in a slightly different location.

EE has the problem of thousands of Orange street 'lamp post' style masts that had 1meg or 2meg connections, and the same area is covered by a T-Mobile/MBNL macro cell on top of a tower block etc with a 100meg or 1000meg backhaul. Likewise Orange may have had the bigger cell and T-mobile might have had the smaller ones - this is network rationalisation.

Where both had a macro cell close by, only one is retained and upgraded to MBNL and EE spec with 4G.

Vodafone and O2 are having similar upgrading hassles, in my town the Vodafone signal (never good to start with) has become a lot worse with the 4G rollout as a local 3G cell has been taken down for a few months. Hopefully it will come back, or a better location for 3G and 4G - who knows.

Standard User tthom
(member) Sat 18-Oct-14 18:19:18
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yea shes not too bothered about that in speed wise.. She was hardly getting any calls or browsing speed with o2 so she decided to change..

I wanted her to go with 3 but she wanted it in blue but that is exclusive to CW.

Went to another CW today and the staff got me what I wanted not trying to talk me out of it but anyways happy days

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to