General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gasten
(newbie) Thu 23-Oct-14 18:41:40
Print Post

Three exaggerating usage?

[link to this post]

12gb for 12months mobile broadband was bought in august 2014 and it say i just ran out of data. this is NONsense. my average weekly usage is 300mb. i dont access videos or gaming . text based sites only with a few pics. i spent 50 minutes on the customer helpline and they didnt get as far as telling me how many megabytes on each day i used. only 3-4 days per week / 3 hours per day i use it.

anyone else being lied to by Three?
Standard User gasten
(newbie) Thu 23-Oct-14 18:43:45
Print Post

Re: Three exaggerating usage?

[re: gasten] [link to this post]

i bought it specifically to last 12months so i economise usage. i reckon my usage is 4gb, and theres a webpage that says i used 4gb in 1 month but it doesnt say total usage. i watched the data go from 0 to 4gb since august
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Oct-14 18:46:31
Print Post

What devices are you using e.g. android devices have a data usage tracking built into them.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gasten
(newbie) Thu 23-Oct-14 18:54:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

just a PC. window s XP. the dongle manufacturers website says current month usage is 4 gb but this is total usage for 2.5 months.

the Three website says nothing except that i ve run out of data

and 4gb is an exaggeration also

Edited by gasten (Thu 23-Oct-14 18:58:07)

Standard User jamie543
(regular) Thu 23-Oct-14 20:55:00
Print Post

Any 1 else thinking maybe the device is doing updates for example flash and java updates and anti virus updates?

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Oct-14 21:32:09
Print Post

[re: jamie543] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jamie543:
Any 1 else thinking maybe the device is doing updates for example flash and java updates and anti virus updates?

Yes, Windows PCs use lots of stuff in the background unless you're very very careful. Corporate supplied machines can use much more than home machines too.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-Oct-14 21:59:57
Print Post

[re: jamie543] [link to this post]

12 months of BB and phone line can be cheaper.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Oct-14 22:14:50
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

There has been a fair few updates of late, and Chrome does them quietly in the background too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Fri 24-Oct-14 02:16:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by gasten:
just a PC. window s XP. the dongle manufacturers website says current month usage is 4 gb but this is total usage for 2.5 months.

the Three website says nothing except that i ve run out of data

and 4gb is an exaggeration also

What dongle is it?

I have been using a Huawei K4201 (Vodafone branded but unlocked) for a while now and I can confirm that the usage counter in the dongle's web interface is exactly correct - as measured by my own tracking on the gateway server it is connected to here and also according to my providers' usage tracking (have to use o2 / giffgaff as that's the only signal I have).

Doing mostly text heavy browsing several hours a day, email and the occasional video I routinely use ~2GB a month including system / software updates for 3 machines, so your usage count sounds accurate to me.

I take it you purchased this plan: Broadband - Pay As You Go + 12. ?

Sounds like Three usage tracking is knackered to me.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-Oct-14 12:36:33
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

Agreed

3 just charged me for £3.45 of internet even though I have unlimited as part of my unlimited tariff and I have used 0kb of data outside of my allowance.

It's always been reliable but in 2014 - it's gone to pot
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to