General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Wed 05-Nov-14 19:09:21
Print Post

Three AYCE tethering on its way out?

[link to this post]

Had a text from Three today asking me to ring them to discuss my contract. Rumours on the internet suggest they're going to be moving the out of contract old One Plan (AYCE including tethering) customers over to their "shiny" new plans which impose a limit on tethering in early January.

I haven't called them up yet because I already have a PAC, plan to leave and don't fancy spending any of my evening on hold.

Anyone else heard from here anything from Three about this contract change?

Ben
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 05-Nov-14 22:27:06
Print Post

Re: Three AYCE tethering on its way out?

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

I saw these threads:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2022737

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2022847

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Sun 09-Nov-14 22:26:18
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Oh well time to find a new provider then. I am willing to put up with a shoddy network with loads of not spots, and next to useless CS, because it suits my needs where I want it, I like the idea of unlimited tethering, In case I need it, but my total usage including tethering is usually less than 2gb, I think time has come for a pac code and to move on.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Mon 10-Nov-14 07:26:30
Print Post

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

Let me know where you go and what deal you get.

Looking for unlimited texts about 200 minutes and 10GB data with tethering. Hoping to find something close to £13.

Main thing keeping me is feel at home at the moment

Post Office ADSL 4mbps
Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Nov-14 09:29:02
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

There's nothing like that in the market. Even Tesco mobile wants £25/month for 8GB a month.
Standard User tthom
(member) Tue 11-Nov-14 10:13:51
Print Post

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

There are apps out there but you need to have your device rooted for it to work correctly

Broadband Providers since 2005 Aol/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT/BT-INFINITY
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]
Standard User LondonJetsetter
(newbie) Tue 11-Nov-14 13:48:37
Print Post

[re: mr_mojo] [link to this post]

Hi

I was recently in the similar situation (leaving 3 but wanting a load of cheap data and tethering).

I went for O2 via CarphoneWarehouse online only (via QuidCo) - which effectively gave me Unlimited Minutes, Unlimited Texts and 5gB of 4G data per month - for £16.34

Here's the breakdown:
+ Standard tarriff £25
+ £20 QuidCo (deduct £1.66 per month)
+ £84 chq cash back (deduct £7 per month)
Total £16.34 - 1 year commitment

Hope that helps!
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Nov-14 09:35:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by brandscill:
Looking for unlimited texts about 200 minutes and 10GB data with tethering. Hoping to find something close to £13.

As others have said, there's little chance of 10GB data on a phone contract for £13. That puts you in the low to medium price bracket for a SIM only contract, whereas 10GB is a premium amount of data.

It seems that Three are moving to a more aggressive stance on tethering a phone contract. Occasional use is regarded as OK, but if your primary use of the contract is data sharing, they expect you to buy a Mobile Broadband contract.

Three charge £15/month for 10GB data on SIM only Mobile Broadband on a 30 day basis. This account allows you to share all the data and I believe the entire 10GB allowance is available via Feel at Home.

My Three Mobile Broadband SIM is currently in a Netgear AC762S 4G Wi-Fi hotspot that I bought as a SIM free device allowing me to move between networks at will. I intend to change the AC762S for the new AC785S with DC113A Ethernet cradle when that hardware becomes available.

My plan is to use the mobile broadband as failover for my Zen connection when at home, but the Ethernet cradle for the older AC762S is not available in the EU. I could use Wi-Fi to hook the AC762S to my router, but the AC762S only supports 2.4GHz which is very congested where I live. The newer AC785S is supposed to have a more readily available Ethernet cradle and is a newer generation of hardware, with dual band Wi-Fi and LTE Category 4 support. It makes more sense to upgrade to a newer device than spend money on an AC762S solution.

When I need the connection elsewhere, I'll undock the Wi-Fi hotspot and take it with me.

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Tue 18-Nov-14 13:05:42
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

10GB is a premium amount of data in the eyes of everyone but Three.

The reason I said 10GB is because that would enable me to use as much as I want without worrying. In reality I only use 3-4GB a month and rarely touch my 4GB tethering limit. I understand the need to put a cap on tethering as people were (and rightly so if allowed) using it in place of a home BB connection.

I would be willing to pay a little bit more, maybe £16-18 a month for unlimited data with a cap on tethering. If Three can do it why can't the others?

Post Office ADSL 4mbps

Edited by brandscill (Tue 18-Nov-14 13:06:33)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Nov-14 13:34:30
Print Post

Giffgaff have a package that offers 5GB and I believe they allow tethering on their metered packages. Depends on how good the O2 3G in your area is as to whether they would be any good.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to