General Discussion
  >> Mobile Broadband (3G, 4G etc)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Wed 17-Dec-14 12:06:26
Print Post

O2 Opinions!

[link to this post]

Does anybody else have as many issues as I and my peers do?

I have constant issues with poor slow data (3G) compared to other networks and call quality and reliability is a joke.

In the last 5 days I've been to 2 city centre locations and not had any service (calls, texts, data) though had a full signal, one of these locations had an O2 WiFI hotspot which also wasn't working

The other I went to their shop and they confirmed they had nothing either, at which point I let everybody in the shop know about my issues and was asking the staff why they where allowed to make agreements when there was no working service at the time. (4 people left)

This isn't a one time issue, this is frequent and has been since taking the contract from O2.

As it stands I cannot receive Calls from anyone using a network other than O2 and O2 has persistently said that the network is fine and the congestion levels are within acceptable ranges (where congestion has been an issue)

I have had my case with an Ombudsman for 3-4 months now after O2 gave me a deadlock letter but I rang them today and they have no new information apart from the case is being looked at....

So if anyone knows of an Ombudsman for the Ombudsman it would be appreciated!

Regards.

@networkmclaren - Perfection Junkie

Signature Update Coming Soon!
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Dec-14 18:29:32
Print Post

Re: O2 Opinions!

[re: mlmclaren] [link to this post]

Data on O2 and Vodafone is useless, unless you have 4G coverage, a 4G phone and a 4G price plan - especially if you've experienced either EE or Three.

Both O2 and vodafone are spending money rapidly to try and catch up, but EE and Three are already ahead, and it physically takes time to install new 100megabit or 1000megabit links into mast sites that have 2meg currently.

For most of the country (outside London) without 4G coverage, the O2 and Vodafone networks are really for voice only and occasional data updates (e.g. WhatsApp or Apple iMessage). Anything else you need Three or EE - if they have coverage.

By end 2016 I would hope both O2 and Vodafone have 4G coverage most places, and that will help their 3G, but they just don't have enough mast sites.

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User tthom
(committed) Wed 17-Dec-14 19:59:23
Print Post

Get a few differnet network pay and go sims and give them a try to see what suits best.

My misses had the same issue you are having and upon cancelling they said the network was working great but she was using it so I think she would know how the network is performing, Since that she moved to EE never been happier with it.

I am with 3 for the last 3 years I was with o2 but they were dreadful

Broadband Providers since 2005 Aol/O2/Virgin Media(Cable)/BE/BT/BT-INFINITY
[img]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3798886040.png[/img]

Edited by tthom (Wed 17-Dec-14 20:01:39)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User fibreplease
(learned) Wed 17-Dec-14 21:17:36
Print Post

Same sorta situation in my area (Yeovil) on O2. Data speeds with full HSDPA signal showing have been useless for months. Basically GPRS/EDGE. Have a look at BA20 on http://status.o2.co.uk/ for some amusement. It has been showing this status for over a week. Before that it used to show capacity issues. I'll be moving the 40 lines I manage at work at the end of the contract term.

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 75Mbps
Netgear WNDR3700

Freeserve --> Eclipse --> UKOnline --> Xilo/Uno --> Plusnet
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 17-Dec-14 22:47:28
Print Post

[re: fibreplease] [link to this post]

O2 is owned by Telefonica, the Spanish company. They can't get borrowing from Spanish banks due to their version of the credit crunch we had in 2008. So O2 was put up for sale and hoped for BT to buy. Now BT has confirmed they're going for EE the Telefonica management are stuck without a quick sale.

Lack of investment In last 10 years is O2's problem, Vodafone now have money having sold their USA interests.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-12-16/telefoni...

plusnet unlimited fibre - 2 Jun 14 - 470m - 80/20 - Summer/dry sync 55/9.4, Winter/wet sync 52/9.1
15 years broadband (1999 ntl:cable trial) - Asus RT-AC68U with HG612 - BQM - Summer PN speed - Winter PN speed
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Thu 18-Dec-14 09:29:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Lack of investment In last 10 years is O2's problem,

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2014-12-16/telefoni...

Exactly, Well thanks for your input, After a few "angry" phonically to the Ombudsman holding my case, I finally got some more information and also a call back from the lady handing the case who was very sorry about the issues and how the case has been held up by other departments.

She said she is going to finish the case today and call me this afternoon with a result...

So fingers crossed its a result that gives me a PAC code!

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Dec-14 09:55:46
Print Post

I haven't really got anything bad to say about O2. I was with them, directly, some years ago on PAYG and found the service satisfactory.

I then moved back to my original number on Orange, and took a contract out with Orange. During the contract lifetime, Orange merged with EE, and I had a run in with EE customer services which made me think twice about renewing or continuing to contract with that company in anyway.

So, I am now on GiffGaff, which runs on the O2 network, and I've had no issues with this service, apart from an incident last year where the network was completely unavailable for a good number of hours one evening.

GG have just released 4G plans, and I'm on one of those. Again, no issues, and certainly on the route I take during the week (London <-> South East Kent), I get reasonable 4G signal that works most of the time, dropping back to 3G etc at various points. Data speeds are no where near the 50Mb/s mark, but then again, for me, they don't need to be.

I guess I do not primarily use my phone as an access point or attempt to do any beefy data on it - really only browsing and checking emails mostly. I would agree with others that if data is your primary requirement, EE are probably a better choice, but personally, I would not go with them.

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User mlmclaren
(experienced) Thu 18-Dec-14 10:08:15
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Well as Happy as you might be on the O2 infrastructure it has give me a fair bit of pain and even though I was also a victim during the Orange > EE situation I never really had performance issues.

I recently took the EE Promo Sim on a test drive across the Bottom of the UK (SE > SW and Back) and even in the middle of nowhere the 3G performed brilliantly and I have found this in many places.

O2 are unable to give me voice calls and texts in City Centres at the moment and the intermittent issue of no incoming calls from anybody on alternative networks other than O2 is not a good situation to be in when Un-Employed and waiting for responses from potential employers.

I'm not sure of the data situation where you are but in the last 6 months my "average" download speed on 3G has been around 0.6mbps and that is no good, and in my experience of O2's 4G, It's useless against the competitor and fails to transfer bandwidth over it tiny spectrum allowances, EE clearly has the best 4G in the UK but even Three has better 4G coverage and through put than O2.

O2 has failed its customers and made many promises that it hasn't kept, and its ancient infrastructure has lacked investment and in turn is now failing.

O2 have wasted much of my time, given me some of the worst customer service experience.

PS. In light of the reviews you linked for EE on the thread, Those people might not be technically minded like myself and many other on here and what suits one will not suit many others.

Reviews like that don't mean anything, and only real0-world testing proves anything, and root metrics does that and they ranked EE the best in the UK and O2 "ONE" of the worst.

I wish you luck in the future with the O2 network as it does look like they're in big trouble and looking for a way out.

PS. I"m 3G Only, No 4G compatibility here!

Kind Regards,

Edited by mlmclaren (Thu 18-Dec-14 10:34:08)

Standard User mixt
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 18-Dec-14 10:44:33
Print Post

I wish you luck in the future with the O2 network as it does look like they're in big trouble and looking for a way out.

Yeah, that's about all that can be said I guess. The plus side with GG is that there are no contracts. If the service dives, I can jump ship quickly and move on.

If you do decide to go with EE, I sincerely hope you do not get stung by their antics. smile

Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (60/20Mb FTTC) | IPv6 via HE | » Automated Hourly HTTPx5 TBB Speed Tests «
Previous ISPs » aaisp.net (40/10Mb FTTC) | Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable) | Be* Un Limited (ADSL2+) | Zen (ADSL)
Download Maximiser | BIND GeoDNS | Are you being blÝcked?
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Thu 18-Dec-14 11:56:46
Print Post

I have to agree that call quality seems to be poor, it seems to fade in and out, which is odd as it should be digital!

However I was with Three and they had no indoor coverage I give up waiting for 4 years and switched back to O2.

In Kent O2 and Vodafone are far ahead of EE in terms of coverage. EE win in terms of speed. Three, who are they? They haven't deployed much 4G at all in Kent and where they have the signal is very poor, no indoor 4G!

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to